To Find Oneself... in a Dream

After Dark

"What now?"

"It's time for a little nap."

"What the ? Is she serious?"

"Beats me."

Conquest waved an arm over them. Her long glorious hair fanned out like a white flower in bloom, sending the three boys off to dreamland... where ever that was.

• • • • • • •

White. Everything was so damn white. So white that it would drive any sane person insane.

"Where the are we? Why is it so ing bright?"

"At least we're not stuck together anymore, Jun." Chun stretched out his fingers before making a fist pump.

"Where's Conquest?"

"... Aww... really... you even miss me in your dreams, Jae. That's so sweet." Conquest came up from behind them like a ghost.

"What's up with the unicorn?" Chun pointed.

Conquest turned around and found herself being followed by a white unicorn with mane of silver. "To hell if I know... It's your whacked out imagination."

"I can see the ing unicorn too."

"It's because we're all sharing the same dream. That's why you can see the unicorn Chun made for me."

Jun and Jae turned to give Chun an 'are you ing serious, bro?' look.

"What... doesn't she look like she's missing a cute little pony? Just look how matching they are..." The heavy stares from the other guys silenced him.

"How is dreaming going to help get us unstuck in the 'real world?' I don't see it."

"Since you guys are so slow at accepting who you are, I've brought you here so you could see your problem visually represented. How do I put this... it's like teaching babies their first words with picture flash cards."

"Okay... sure..."

"You see those three doors? One for each of you."

"Does it matter which one we go through?"

"It's your dream... you choose the door. The door doesn't choose you."

Chun inspected the doors. They all looked the same. "Hmm... which one is the best one?... hmmm.."

"Just grab a ing door so we can get this nonsense over with."

"Alright, let's do this."

"Okay!!!! Got a door."

"I'm ready."

"On three?"

They all had their hand on a door handle.

"One... two..."

• • • • • • •

 War and Famine stepped back through the doorway at the same time. The look in their eyes had changed completely.

"Well that ing explains it."

"It sure did. I can't believe I didn't realize it before. Probably because I couldn't make up my mind whether it's true or not and kept juggling everything on." Famine laughed. "It's pretty funny how long I've been half myself."

"To tell you the truth... that was too short of a bubble bath."

"You got a bubble bath and I didn't?! How unfair is that?!?!" Famine rushed to the door War returned from and started jiggling the door handle but the door refused to budge. "Let me in!!! I need a bubble bath too!!!!"

"And that's why you're Famine, I'm sure." Conquest couldn't hold back the laughter. Seeing how cute they both were. Her friends had finally come back.

"Hey... where's Death? He didn't come out yet?"

"No. It seems he's having a little more trouble accepting the truth than you guys."

"I wonder if he's having a bubble bath in there too... he better not be..."

War smacked Famine on the head. "And that's restraining myself."

• • • • • • •

Through Death's Door:

Jae looked at his surrounding. Books after books lined the walls. He stared straight ahead and was confronted with a messy desk and a large chair. He couldn't see who was sitting there but he recognized the voice.

"Have a seat, Mr. Death."

"What is going on here? Why is it you?"

The chair turned to reveal a pale thin girl.

"I am but a figment of your imagination, Mr. Death."

"My name is Kim Jae Joong." He corrected her, the girl who looked exactly like Conquest.

"Is it now..." She grabbed a paper from the messy desktop and scanned through it. "All I see here is Death, Death, and more Death. Are you sure about that?"

"What do you mean?" Jae came forward and snatched the paper from her hand. It was a list of names... names he recognized but none of them were his.

"They all died, yes? Because you wanted them to."

"No, I didn't want them to. They just did. Accidents happened... bizarre ones... and suicides. I didn't want any of it to happen."

"You're babbling, Mr. Death. The results are clear. These deaths were not coincidental."

"They shouldn't have come close to me."

"Then you admit they died because of you? Is that correct?"

"If they'd just go away quietly..."

"Mr. Death! Your lack of confidence and apparent denial has kept you from the truth. You despised every single person on this list. None were worthy of your love and so you wanted them dead. Admit it."

"No... that's not true."

"Do you know your purpose?"

"No. No I don't."

"Yes you do. Why do you keep running away from it. Just a glimpse and you turn your head."

"None of this is true..."

"That purpose. Shall I tell you what you already know? You're here to pass judgment on those mortals. Those who cling to Death do not deserve to live!"

• • • • • • •

"Are we all back?"

"Yeah... let's take our revenge on the world."

"Really? Should we do it now?"

"Eh.. why not? It'll be fun."

And just like that, without another word, the world left them behind... watching... and laughing.

• • • • • • •

The serpent-like creature wiggles under its master's precious glowing object, the heart of the world.

Master, how many more times must we destroy it? Shall I bring you another?

No, my pet. We are not yet finished. Not until they bring the world to an end... the end which I had envisioned.

Conquest, War, Famine, and Death have always succeeded. I see no difference in the end.

The creature's master smiles. I do not expect you to understand, little one.

The creature lowers its head in shame yet again... for the 306th time.