Conquest: The First

After Dark

I hope they get it right this time... but some how, I feel uneasy.

The creature knew the end was close and began coiling up under the heart of the world, ready to catch it when it fell.

The end of the world. How different could it possibly be?

• • • • • • •

Jun, Jae, and Chun took a look around to find everyone frozen in place as if the world stopped turning and time stood still. 

Jun came to his senses first. "Let go of me you ing bastard." He was talking to Chun who still had his slimy hands on the shiny wrist watch.

"Oh..." Chun tried to release his grip but his fingers refused to listen. "Sorry, y beast. I don't seem to have control over my fingers. Oops... did I just say that out loud?"

"What? Great... a ing ert." Jun yanked hard, trying to free his imprisoned arm but all the struggling was in vain. "Are you kidding me? It's like we're super glued together."

"Whoa. Does that mean from now on, we get to live together?"

"What the ?" Jun shot a disgusted look at Chun.

"Obviously you both need to calm down and focus if we're going to get out of this mess." Jae had stopped his attempts at pulling away from the group. He still had his arms around the girl's waist.

"Focus? Try telling that to the littler er. He's ing asleep." Jun's head jerked in the direction of the girl. She had her eyes closed and looked completely at peace.

"y... I mean... Jun... Are you okay? You're calling her a guy again." Chun leaned closer to Jun and sniffed. He got a good whiff of booze. "Maybe you've had one too many shots."

"It's not a girl, god dammit!"

Jun's sudden outburst woke the girl up. Her eyes opened. The corner of her lips turned upward. And then, her body vanished only to appear again, outside the group of three. 

"It's true. I'm not a girl but I would make a perfectly good one, don't you think?"

What the hell did they just witness?

"You see... a century ago, I challenged myself to live as a girl. But the important question is who am I, really? Neither man or woman. Neither god or mortal. I am just another force to be reckoned with. I am Conquest, a bringer of the upcoming apocalypse." Conquest moved in towards them and skillfully slipped the watch off Jun's wrist and out of Chun's reach. "Being who I am, there's no way I can lose."

"Alright, Jun. You win. That is definitely not a girl."

Conquest flung the watch she held across the room. "You will all acknowledge me as a woman. I've worked so hard to attain this body." Her hair turned long and white as she it. Her skin softened. Her eyes sharpened.

"Tone it down, bastard. All that white is hurting my ing eyes."

"Oooo..." Chun squealed. "Pretty clothes! She's definitely a girl and I bet you I can guess her favorite color."

"How many times do I have to tell you... that's not a ing girl!"

In a flash, Conquest grabbed a fistful of Jun's flaming red hair and pulled it back forcing him to look at her. "Not a very wise move, War. In your current state of mind, you are no match for me. I can crush you with a flick of my hair." She pressed her cheek against his. Her lips close to his ear. Conquest continued in a whisper. "You see yourself in me, don't you... because I alone... know the fears you have not yet come to peace with."

His eyes widened in defeat. Satisfied, Conquest released him. "You see, it's a rather simple exchange. I will help you find the answers you seek and break what chains you. In return, I will have your allegiance."

Jae stared blankly at his feet. Chun shook his head, not liking the idea. Jun stayed silent, which was unlike him.

"Do we have an agreement? Or... perhaps you need some time to clear your mind and realize there is no other way besides my way."

They had no immediate response for her.

"I'll be back... when you're all done wasting time." She turned her back on them. "Oh wait... silly me. We have all the time in the world." Her laughter rang loud and clear, shattering the frozen crowd into a million pieces.

• • • • • • •

Conquest sat by herself on the bridge, looking down at a distorted image of herself in the dark waters.

It had stopped raining.

Ugh...what a pathetic life she had led so far. Enduring that unquenchable thirst for conquest with those measly challenges. Though... it wasn't all for nothing. She had felt, seen, and heard many things of the world. With much time and practice, she was able to read the human heart, allowing her to control their thoughts and emotions. 

Was it all part of some greater being's plan? To keep them half asleep for so long... She wondered about the other three, War, Famine, and Death. Like her, did their knowledge grow? Did their desire for the world deepen with time? It must have been so... in their own way.

Whether they liked it or not, as the first, Conquest was determined to light their path. For now, what they needed was her strength. 

Death lacked confidence. War lacked control. Famine lacked commitment. All of which she possessed. There was no doubt in her mind what had to be done.

She needed them as much as they needed her.