To Steal Your... Diamonds?

After Dark

“Now that I have your heart, I will be taking my leave.” She knocked Jae’s arm away, pushed him back, and leaped over the ledge. Before he knew it, Jae found himself standing on the same ledge, looking down at the blackness below. He had allowed her to slip through his fingers... the fingers that still tingled now.

That girl, like the girl before her, left him and the world behind.

No, actually... they were not the same.

She was surely smiling that last knowing smile. Unlike the girl before her, there was no hint of regret. He could safely say, she looked forward to what lies below as if it was a new challenge... to see how far down she would fall. It made him wonder. What would his life be like if he possessed her simple mindset, to overcome all obstacles as it presents itself? Just imagining it made him chuckle. The peaceful life he had led so far would be no more.

Wait... did he just chuckle?

For better or for worse, things were changing. His horizon looked a little less bleak. But did he really want that? He had given up so long ago.

Like a heavy cloud, death followed him where ever he went. Played with him. Tortured him. Taken away everyone who had ever loved him.

She was right, that girl. He was running away... turning his back, but it wasn’t always so. No. No matter what he did, there was no saving them. Horrible things continued to happen. Love them. Hate them. Look at them. Ignore them. It all ended in the same manner, no one spared. He was tired of the heartache. And so, he numbed the muscle in his chest and walked away.

He couldn’t possibly expect the girl to understand. How could she understand a never ending life of torment? He was envious of her and the rest of the world. To have a beginning and to have an end. Wasn’t that how it was meant to be?

It didn’t matter if she understood all of it. He was never going to see her again... or so he thought.

• • • • • • •

“What the is going on here?”

“Looks to me, chief, it’s raining suicidal girls.”

“We haven’t even started on the first and now there’s a second?”

The newly fallen girl seemed to be intact... more so than the one who came out of the sky before her. Everyone could see that. Everyone except for Chun. He didn’t care who the girl was or how she looked. All he cared about was that sparkly diamond bracelet clasped around her wrist. He, Park Yoochun, had to have it. What was up with these people swarming around her? That bracelet didn't belong to them! It belonged to him! It was his, his, HIS!

He quickly scanned his surrounding and spotted the nearby ambulance. Perfect. Chun grinned. Snagging those diamonds would be a piece of cake. He edged over to the flashing red lights and slipped in through the back door.

“Hey, what are you doing in here?”

“Uhhh... nothing much...”

Chun knocked the man out and borrowed his work clothes and badge. Now, to wait for the cue to move the girl’s body. This was by far the most trying part for him. He wasn’t the most patient man in the world. Which made him wonder... was he a man at all?  It was painfully obvious that he couldn’t die like one.... but whatever. He wasn’t going to complain about it.

Waiting made him sleepy but the moment finally came. Chun sped out with the stretcher like a pro and lifted the lifeless body on to it... a little carelessly since he was in a rush. As he pushed the stretcher back towards the waiting ambulance, Chun contemplated whether he should slip the bracelet off now or later. If he did it now, he could just ditch the body instead of lifting it up into the ambulance. But then again... wouldn’t it be better to do a thorough search of her body for other precious possessions on the drive to the hospital?

And, as always, the greed got to him. Chun found himself inside the ambulance with the girl. Another attendant tried to follow him in but he stopped them.

“They need your help with the other victim. It seems they’re having trouble peeling her off from the sidewalk.”

The attendant was a little doubtful with Chun’s choice of words and all but if they needed help over there... it was for the best.

The attendant left and Chun closed the ambulance door happily as he praised himself. “Why am I so good at this?” He quickly returned his attention to the diamonds at hand. “Time to take what is obviously mine.”

Suddenly, a hand came out of nowhere slapping him away. It wasn’t a playful slap... it was a really hard nasty slap. “Hands off, big boy. These are mine.” The dead girl was totally not dead. After falling from what height... really?