Pickpocketing a Fight with War

After Dark

“Well this is new... I’m being slapped around by a ghost.”

She sat straight up looking him in the eye. “In all my years of living... you have got to be the worse thief I’ve come across.”

Chun beamed. “I’m pretty good aren’t I?”

Her head shook from side to side. “And obviously dumb too. How the hell did you manage to mold that into a compliment?”

“Well... like when people say ‘She’s a bad girl’ or ‘that was the ’ and you know, stuff like that. It’s good, right? I don’t just follow the language trend, I evolve it.”

“Yeah... and by the sound of it, you probably can’t even steal candy from a deaf-blind baby let alone evolve anything.” She provoked him into challenging her and he fell right into her trap.

“Okay, now that was an insult. You shouldn’t be making stuff up about deaf-blind babies and stuff... This girl... geezus...” Chun ran his fingers through his wet hair. Rain was still falling steadily outside. He pointed a finger at her face. “You think you’re better than me, don’t you...”

“I don’t think it. I know it.” She continued egging him on.

Chun stood straight up and bumped his head hard. He totally forgot they were still in the stuffy ambulance. Chun kept his finger pointed at her while he rubbed the pain away. “I- I challenge you to a duel!”

“To the death?” Her face brightened.

Chun laughed. “If it was to the death, I’d win without even trying.” He had completely forgotten about the girl being ‘dead’ a minute ago.

“Don’t be too sure about that, big boy..”

“Eh, let’s just keep it simple since it’s raining.”

Just when she had him all figured out... this guy turned out to be more of an idiot than she had first predicted. “Okay, so... we both try and steal the same object. Whoever retrieves it first wins. And when I win, I want that diamond bracelet along with any other jewellery you have on you."

"No, you mean when I win, you'll buy me a drink. And since I will definitely win, we will make that ‘object’ belong to someone in the nearest bar so I can have my drink right after I win." She opened the ambulance door, stepped out, and dragged Chun along with her by the scuffle.

"Wait... what?"

“Shut up and follow me.” The guy was an idiot... but a challenge was a challenge. Never back down, that was her motto.

No one around seemed to notice the dead girl pulling a random guy away from the crime scene.

It further proves how messed up the world currently was.

“I can walk by myself, you know. It’s kind of embarrassing being dragged by a girl.” Chun started to whine.

“Didn’t I tell you to shut up? Besides, nobody around gives a .”

Being skinny and small as you are, I thought you’d be gentler but you’re nothing but a bully. An ugly-”

The girl gripped his neck with her bony hand, intending to end his life right then and there. Luckily she caught herself, controlling the displaced strand of emotion.

“Not bad. You almost got the better of me that time. Close... but no cigar.” She wanted him alive for now. After all, they had a challenge to complete. She craved the rush of conquest. Oh... and that free drink too.

“Just keep your mouth shut until we get there. I’m not some heavenly angel you can with.”

• • • • • • •

The bar was slightly warmer than outside. The lights were dim, the smell, horrendous... but a bar was a bar and it was the closest one too.

Chun scanned the place for their victim. He was determined to pick the meanest one in the bunch to prove his skills. While the girl... well... she already found her person of interest. She didn’t think she’d see him again so soon. How nice.

The man sat in the corner, obviously trying to drown his troubles in liquor. What did that dead girl call him before she fell off the building? Ahh yes... Jae. The man she broke. Hmm... should she go over and reopen some old wounds just for the heck of it?

No... not just yet. She was here for another challenge.

“Okay. I found us a target. You see that y beast over there? The mean looking one with the shiny wrist watch.” Chun rudely pointed the man out.

"You mean the one scaring off half the customers and the owner is too afraid to do anything about it?"

"Yeah, that's the one. Wow, you've been watching the whole scene?"

The ‘y beast’ of a man turned around, spinning the bar stool with him. He stuck one leg out, blocking the way of an innocent bystander. “Hey, did you just touch my ? Are you trying to pick a fight with me?” His annoyed face turned red but not as bright a red as his hair.

“Jun, dude... I was just walking by. I’m not trying to pick a fight with you, man.”

“Oh, well now you’re really pissing me off. How dare you ing say my name like you know me? You got a death wish?”