At 18... everything changes

Him & Her

They fight....

“Hey stranger! Haven’t seen you in a while!” Concealing her surprise, she smiles at him through the mirror while continuing to do her stretches.
He watches her from the doorway of the dance studio. She has changed a lot over the years. No longer the little girl in the pink tutu, but then again, he isn’t the same Batman loving kid either.
Nothing is simple anymore.

She’s in her uniform of sneakers, cropped sweats and a loose zip up revealing her belly button ring. But even the baggy clothes aren’t able to hide her womanly curves. Her hair is up in a messy bun, not a single trace of make-up and yet she looks like she’s glowing.

He follows the fluid movement of her delicate hands that make every flick of the wrist seem like art in motion. His gaze transfers to her prominent collarbones and slender neckline and travels upward coming to an abrupt stop when he reaches her lips.
He forces himself out of his trance. “Yea, I thought we could walk home together.”

Her face lights up. “Really? Let me just get my thi.." She catches herself,"Oh wait! Where’s Taeyeon?”
“She has some meeting or the other.” He shrugs.



It’s been almost six months since he and Taeyeon became a couple. It’s harder for the two of them to hang out alone now since he often gets rides from Taeyeon to and back from school. At school too, they are usually surrounded by their big group of friends. 
She can’t help feeling like they’ve drifted apart. 
And it would be a lie to say it didn’t hurt her a little.. or a lot.




“Ready Hyo?” Yoon Doojoon’s face pops through the door. 
Doojoon is a new kid in school and as with all new students; he is shrouded by an air of mystery and rumours. It might have been aided by the fact that he broods a lot, doesn’t dress like the rest of them – usually in a leather jacket and boots - and even has a tattoo. He is the anti-Kingka, the alluring bad-boy who doesn’t talk to a lot of people and already has a fan club rivalling Hyukjae and Donghae’s. 

“Oh!” his expression changes as he sees another person in the room. “Just wanted to ask if you needed a ride home,” he says awkwardly.
“I’m so sorry Doojoonah, I’m walking home today. But I’ll see you tomorrow?” she flashes him an apologetic smile.
Doojoon nods, “See you then!” and leaves.


He stalls for a minute, trying to let it go but can’t seem to. “So are you like the rest of them now? Going through a bad-boy phase?” he asks in a teasing way but there’s an unmistakeable snarkiness in his voice.
“Huh?” is all she says in reply but his tone stings her heart for some reason.
“Nothing. Let’s go!” and he holds the door open for her.

They walk home at a lingering pace, stopping by the familiar spots – the Family Mart to buy strawberry milk and the Kimbap Cheonguk for some kimbap; reminiscing over past memories and talking about random school things.



As they near the bend that leads towards their houses, he clears his throat. 
He just needs to know.
“So,” he starts casually, “I didn’t know you were friends with Yoon Doojoon.”
“Yea,” she shrugs, “He’s really nice. Oh! Have you decided what you’re going to get for Sooyoungie’s birthday?”
He ignores her question, “He’s been dropping you off at home?”
She raises her eyebrows slightly but doesn’t ask, “Uh huh. Mingu’s staying at my dad’s these days so I let him take the car.”
“How did you guys get so friendly? Doojoon doesn’t talk much.”
“He’s just misunderstood.” She replies trying to be patient. “He’s actually very witty and funny and just.. fun to be with.”

“Are you..” He stares at her for a long time. “Never mind. Just be careful Hyo. I’ve heard some bad stuff about him.”
“And you believe everything you hear? Those are just rumours spread by dumb people who don’t know a thing about Doojoon.”
“All I’m saying is pick the right people to hang out with!”

Her temper is rising now, “Yah Lee Hyukjae, when did you get so judgemental and high and mighty, huh? And who are you to tell me who I should or shouldn’t see? I don’t interfere in your personal life, do I?” 
“WHAT? I’m doing what you told me to, aren’t I?” there’s an unreadable expression in his eyes and it makes her heart drop – to know that she doesn’t know him as well as she used to.

“Y’know what? Forget I ever said anything but don’t expect any sympathy from me if he turns out to be not so perfect!” he runs his hand through his hair roughly.
She’s listening to him speak but somehow her mind is still stuck on his previous words, “I’m doing what you told me to do, aren’t I?” 
What the heck does he mean?


Her thoughts are broken when she sees him lighting a cigarette. She snatches it out of his hands quickly, “Yah, what the hell do you think you’re doing?”
“Why? You don’t think it’s cool? I thought you liked this kind of bad boy thing! Besides, didn’t you say we should mind our own business?” It comes out a little more spiteful than he intended and there’s an instant flash of regret in his eyes.

But she doesn’t see it; for her own eyes are prickling with tears. She blinks them away furiously and without another word, starts running. 
When did everything become such a mess?

 

 

 
The next day,



“We are eating lunch with you guys!” Donghae and Junsu announce as they sit down at the girls’ table.
Sica gives her gloomy boyfriend a quizzical look, “Everything okay, Fishie?”
He rests his head on her shoulder with a long sigh, “Just a dark cloud by the name of Lee Hyuk Jae ruining my day.”

“Really! What’s gotten into him? He’s walking around scowling at everyone and being rude to his friends and fangirls. I’ve never seen him like this,” Junsu chimes in.
Sooyoung almost chokes on her burger, “Hyukjae? Innocent sweet monkey Lee Hyukjae?”
She avoids saying anything. It probably has something to do with him and Taeyeon anyway.


Just then, Taeyeon herself appears. 
“Hey have any of you guys seen, Hyukkie?” she asks shyly. “He’s being really moody and won’t tell me what’s wrong. And now I can’t find him!”
Everyone shakes their head and Taeyeon turns to her, “Um.. Hyoyeon did you guys have a fight or something?”

Now everyone’s looking at her. She shakes her head uncomfortably, “Huh? No. Why would you say that?”
“Just..” Taeyeon bites her lower lip. “Nothing. Just let him know that I’m looking for him, ok guys?” and goes back to her friends.
“That was, “ Sooyoung begins.
“.. wierd.” Sica, Donghae and Junsu conclude.

Before her friends have a chance to quiz her further, she gets up quickly making up an excuse about an unreturned library book and runs out.