At 15, they face separation for the first time.

Him & Her

 

At age 15, they face separation for the first time.

“Its here!” she hears his excited voice over the phone.
“I’ll be over in a second,” she hangs up and rushes out the door.

A few moments later, she is in his living room, “Go on, open it!” she nods encouragingly.
Her familiar voice- soft husky reassuring - seems to calm him and his hands stop shaking. He pulls out the letter slowly and reads, “Dear Mr. Lee, We are..”

She crosses her fingers behind her back.

“We are pleased to announce that your application has been accepted and you have been selected as one of the recipients of the New York City School of Hip-hop scholarship.” 
He throws the papers in the air and runs towards her lifting her in the air and spinning them both around.
“Careful!” she laughs trying not to let the bottles of strawberry milk drop.

He puts her down but his arms stay clasped tightly around her waist.

There is a strange almost electric charge in the air.                                                                                       
They both can feel it. 

She avoids looking at his eyes and he reluctantly lets her go.


Running his hands through his hair, he clears his throat, “You know this means that I have to go to America for a year, right?”
“Of course! I’m so jealous,” her laugh comes out as an awkward squeak and he silently thinks she’s the most adorable person he’ll ever meet. He has been thinking such things more and more lately – thinking that perhaps he likes her more than a friend, a whole lot more..

But he can’t think about it now; he’s leaving soon....

“Hello, Mr. New York city. You there?” she is waving the strawberry milk in front of his face. “We have to have a celebratory drink!”
He shakes off his thoughts and follows her towards the kitchen, memorizing everything about her. 



Two weeks later, at the airport.

“Stay out of trouble, monkey!” she pokes her tongue out at him, trying to put up a brave front. She is really happy for him, it’s the opportunity of a lifetime, but.. 

“Can’t you just tell them to train you here? Or ask them to let you take your friends with you?” Donghae is wailing. 
That’s exactly what she wants to say to him.


He says goodbye to everyone else first, even his parents and then wraps his arms tightly around her. He hopes that she can feel all the things that he can’t quite put into words himself. Like.. 
Will you wait for me?

She blinks her eyes furiously trying to get rid of the tears that are threatening to spill. At last, she draws back, “Take care of yourself Hyukjae ah!” 
“I’ll call you when I get there.” 

He picks up his backpack and with a final wave to all his friends and family, starts walking towards the Departures Terminal.
They all stay behind watching him.


As he is waiting for the officer to examine his passport, he catches a glimpse of her out of the corner of his eye.  
On impulse, he turns around and runs back to her. 
She raises her questioning watery chocolate eyes up to him and he shrugs helplessly. Then, without a word, he bends down to lay a soft kiss on her cheek. 
Grinning like a fool, he turns on his heel and  swiftly returns to the waiting officer, not daring to look at her or his parents' reaction.

Something to remember me by..