At 16, they meet again

Him & Her

At age 16, they meet again.

“We will be landing in Incheon airport in 15 minutes. Please fasten your seat belts.” He taps his foot impatiently. The past year in America had been a great time but he was anxious to get home.
There were people waiting for him...


She is clutching the gift bag in her hands, absentmindedly playing with the wrapping paper. 
‘Is this a bit much?’ she worries peering at the welcome home package she had prepared the night before. 
Even though he had been gone a year, it didn’t really feel like that long. They had kept in touch through the skype and e-mails and she felt like she knew everything about his life in New York but now, waiting for him to arrive, she felt a little nervous. 
What if he has changed and we can’t go back to the way we were before?


She is the first person he looks for as the double doors slide open and he spots her instantly, standing behind his parents. Her hair is wavy and dyed a pretty shade of brown. She’s in jean shorts and a tank top, her skin’s more tan, her waist narrower, her legs longer ..  His eyes lovingly gaze over her every feature as if updating his previous memories– those big brown eyes, full pink lips, gorgeous cheekbones..

“Hyukjae! My son is back. Honey, are you filming this?” his mother throws herself upon him, hysterically happy-to-the-point-of-tears. His father pats his back and his noona ruffles his head. 

She stands back and let’s the family enjoy their private moment.
Yet, in the midst of it all, he catches her gaze and mouths, “Hi!”
His eyes are still the same; her heart feels at ease.

*****************

“Hey It’s Donghae’s birthday next Friday and we’re celebrating it in the studio,” he informs her as they are on their way to school.
It’s been a few months since his return and they’ve easily settled into their old routine. Except for one big difference..

“G G Good morning sunbaenim! I ..I made you a lunch box,” a younger girl is being pushed forwards by her friends, red faced and quivering.
“Oh thankyou..” he scratches his head looking back at her for help. 
“Jiyoung,” she whispers.
He turns to the young girl. “Thankyou Jiyoung.”
The youngsters run away giggling and congratulating their friend, “He remembered your name! You’re so lucky, you can die happily!”


“You are going to be the death of me, Mr. Kingka,” she says jokingly to him.
“Why?”
“All those girls from your fan club are shooting daggers at me for always being around you.”
“Ha! Don’t tell me a bunch of little girls scare you, the great Kim Hyo Yeon!” he teases her.
She matches his grin, “That’s true! Why am I worrying? I could send them all flying with one pop.” 

But he notices that even as she says it, she is slowly increasing the distance between them. He frowns and then pulls her close. He’s now almost a head taller than her and his arm goes comfortably around her shoulder.

“Yah, what are you doing?” she squirms but he doesn’t let go.
“You have to stay by my side always. No running away!” His voice is low and firm - a boy who has grown into a man.

She opens to protest but can’t think of anything to say. 
They walk the rest of the way in silence, with him holding her by his side tightly.


They know lines are becoming blurry and limits are being pushed.. it’s only a matter of time until something happens, 
and it scares the crap out of her.