They are just friends... ?

Him & Her

note: unless someone else's names are mentioned in the same sentence, "he" and "she" usually refer to Hyukjae and Hyoyeon.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

 

 

They are just friends... ?


“Ok guys, book off this weekend! We’re going camping for my birthday!” Sooyoung announces to the group that has gathered early – before school starts – on the playground. Her friends are all scattered around the giant willow tree, some on benches and others on the ground.
“Ooohhhh! Overnight camping?” Donghae asks wiggling his eyebrows suggestively drawing his girlfriend closer to him.
“Fishie don’t be a ert!” Sica quickly shuts down his daydreams shoving his forehead away. 

Sooyoung clears . “Girls and boys are welcome but please can we keep the hanky -panky business on the down low? We’re going to have to share a pension together. Plus, Minho’s also bringing his friends.”
“Really? I’ve missed seeing the kid since he transferred to Seoul Tech!” Yuri exclaims happily. She enjoyed the way he followed her around screaming, “Nooona!” 
Sooyoung gives her an annoyed look. “Yah Kwon Yuri, my twin is not a kid! We live in Korea remember? Early birthdays means we are the same age as you guys!”
“Whatever maknae ah. You are cho chweet when you are angry.” Yuri teases her and Jessica wisely steps in between the two bickering best friends. 



“Hey Hyo!” he plops down on the ground next to her.
“Hi!” she smiles at him, her breath catching for a second. Last night feels like a distant dream – a distant magical dream; but one she’s very thankful for nonetheless.
Covering his mouth to hide a yawn, he murmurs so that only she can hear, “Sooyoungie is such a bully! Of all days to order us to meet early! We got home so late last night. Did you get enough sleep?”
She nods and with an amused expression tries to flatten the tousled nest on his head, “Obviously, someone just literally rolled out of bed.”
He grins like a little kid who’s just been caught with his hand in the cookie jar. “Guilty as charged! I’m still sleepy though.” His head drops on her shoulder, “I’m going to take a quick nap. Wake me up if Dictator Soo notices me.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sooyoung claps her hands loudly asking for attention. “I’m trying to make a list so everyone who can go, can you please raise your hand?”

She nudges him and he shoots up straight with a jerk. She stifles a giggle. 

One by one, hands go up.

“Hyoyeonnie, Sica, Yuri, Donghae, Kyuhyun, Yoona, Ryeowook, Junsu, Siwon oppa, Jaewon oppa, Minyoungie, Nicole, Kibummie, Dana unnie, Hyukjae.” 
She writes down everyone’s names and turns to him. “Hyukjae ah, is Taeyeon going to come?”


“Why? You want her to come?” he asks surprised and Sooyoung just shrugs in response. “I don’t mind! She’s your girlfriend. You can bring her if you want.” 

Sometimes Sooyoung thinks that it’s strange that even though Hyukjae and Taeyeon have been dating for more than half a year, none of them have gotten close to Taeyeon. And stranger still, she sometimes gets the feeling that Hyukjae doesn’t want them to hang out together.

“Okay, I’ll ask her,” he mumbles. 

Suddenly feeling awkward, she stands up and walks over to the girls. He watches her leave with a slight frown and then turns his attention towards Donghae and Junsu who are excitedly planning for a soccer tournament on the camping ground.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The girls are engrossed in their own plans as well.

Sooyoung pokes her in the ribs when she sits down next to her, “Guess what Hyoyeonnie! Minho tells me that one of his friends has a crush on you and is dying to meet you!”
Her cheeks color and she smacks Sooyoung, “Yah! Did you forget I’m the prankster? Don’t think you can fool me so easily!”
“What?” Sooyoung pouts as she rubs her arm. “I’m telling you the truth! Remember when Minho and his friends came to watch our dance recital? He saw you there and apparently hasn’t stopped talking about you since.”


His ears are straining as he tries to listen in on the girls’ conversation. He is pretty sure he heard the word “Hyoyeonnie” and “crush”. 
And all of a sudden he’s not excited about the trip anymore.

***************************

At lunch time, he moodily stares into his yogurt cup while waiting for Taeyeon at their table.

“Hi sweetie. Sorry I’m late. I brought you something!” Taeyeon sits down and drops a bag of homemade cookies before him.
“Thanks!” he says feeling like an for not treating her better. She is his girlfriend – she is the one who should be on his mind 24/7. Determinedly he asks, “Hey! What are you doing this weekend?”
Her big round eyes brighten up, “Nothing, nothing at all. Why?” This is the first time he has asked about her plans –she thinks she was right not to give up!

“Well.. it’s Sooyoung’s birthday. You know her right? Tall, loud, always wins the food eating competitions.”
Taeyeon nods.
“We are going camping and she said you could come.” She feels a little sting of disappointment – he didn’t say that he wanted her to go.

“Wait, isn’t her full name Choi Sooyoung? She’s Siwon’s first cousin right?” 
“Uh huh.”
“Will he be going too?”
“I think so. Why?”

Taeyeon’s face scrunches up in thought. “I don’t think Fany’s invited and she’s going to be crushed if I go without her. She’s convinced that she’s in love with him.”
“Sorry. I’d invite her along too but it’s not my party,” he says apologetically. “Hey! Why don’t you use the tickets you got us for the musical to take her to Wicked? I think she has been raving about it for months now.”

“But I got it for us!” Taeyeon stares at him.
He gives her a reassuring smile, “Fany’s your best friend. I don’t mind! Really!”
But I do! She screams in her head but outwardly, she simply shrugs. “Fine.” 
------------------13--------------