004

Lie to Me Pinocchio

Sehun breathed deeply, he was in the library where he knew none of the 'popular' people would dare be seen in here. 

Admittedly, he was avoiding them but to be fair, he was still quite, well, hurt over the fact Krystal was using him. Sehun wandered to a private section in the library where he knew no one went in, after all it was the fiction section. No one would be caught there when they were all mature and meant to either not read books or at least books that had truth in them.
 
But to his surprise, someone was in there and even more surprising; the person was Kris. 
 
"Oh." Sehun blurted out and Kris looked up. Sehun waved awkwardly and sat down on the table beside him. "Hey." Sehun smiled more confidently now and Kris muttered a greeting back. "Why are you here?" Sehun attempted to start a conversation to him.
 
Kris glanced at him. "I think the better question is why you're here." 
 
Sehun didn't answer and grabbed a random book on the shelf. He attempted to immerse  himself into the book but his mind was racing. Finally, after a few minutes, he set the book down and began talking.
 
"I was talking to Kai." Sehun mumbled and glanced at Kris. Kris wasn't even looking at him, he was buried in his book but Sehun truthfully didn't care. "Kai told me things. He said Krystal was a collector, and she wanted to collect me because, well, because I didn't like her." Kris turned the page over. "I don't know why but I guess girls find guys who don't like them more attractive than boys who actually do." Sehun stopped. 
 
A few agonizing second passed. 
 
"Sehun." Kris suddenly said. "Do you ever wonder why they seem more superior to the rest of everyone?" Sehun assumed 'they' meant the inner circle of Krystal's friends. "It's actually kind of funny." Kris let out a humorless laugh that didn't reach his eyes. "They're all fake." Kris looked at Sehun intensely. 
 
"Especially Krystal." Kris said grimly. "But I guess Kai doesn't count. He's truly genuine and real. He doesn't pretend or anything. But that's not the point, Krystal's faking all of it. She never did like you nor does she like you." Sehun felt a stabbing sensation in his heart and perhaps it showed as Kris gave him an apologetic look. 
 
"Honestly though, I don't see why you're complaining. Did you agree to date her because you liked her?" Kris asked. Sehun nodded glumly. "No, I thought so, you agreed to date her because you wanted to be popular." 
 
Sehun didn't answer or deny Kris's accusation. Partly because he didn't want to talk anymore and the fact Kris was undeniably correct.
 
"So Kris," Sehun began. "Why would you be here? Wouldn't your reputation be damaged if anyone caught you here?" Sehun asked. Kris gave him a swift and faint smile. 
 
"Yes it would be but it won't because no one comes here."
 
Sehun didn't get his answer. "What do you mean?"
 
"Sehun, if no ones comes here, who would see I come here?" Kris explained to Sehun as if talking to a five year old.
 
"So why would you read fiction books anyway? I had a feeling you would prefer realism." Sehun attempted to cover his blunder with Kris by changing the subject.
 
"Fiction books contains more truth there is than what everyone thinks."
 
~~
 
"Sehun." Luhan drawled, slinging his arm across Sehun. "There's going to be a party on Friday, I think Xiumin's hosting it?" Xiumin grunted his acknowledgement. "Yeah I think it is, anyway, want to come?" Luhan asked and Sehun considered it for a second. 
 
"Sure, I've got nothing on Friday anyway." Sehun replied. 
 
"Good! I want to introduce you to some other people..." Sehun's mind wandered off as Luhan blabbed on about the party. Sehun wondered if Krystal was going to the party and decided it was unlikely for such a popular girl like Krystal to miss out a single party. 
 
"Sehun!" Luhan interrupted his thoughts. "Are you listening?" Luhan stared at him accusingly.
 
"Yeah." Sehun lied. Luhan raised his eyebrows doubtingly but decided to continue his conversation.
 
"Did you see the soccer game last night? It was epic." Luhan said enthusiastically. "I totally knew that they would lose!" 
 
Sehun remained quiet because he wasn't really a fan of soccer but he didn't want to embarrass himself either by admitting he didn't like soccer. He hoped no one would question him about soccer. 
 
"So who do you support Sehun?" Chanyeol piped up and Sehun cursed him mentally. 
 
"Uh.." Sehun paused, racking his brain for a soccer team. "Manchester United." Sehun blurted out. 
 
"Bandwagon.." Lay muttered and Sehun flushed. 
 
"Aw leave him alone, Kai supports them too!" Luhan interjected. "Speaking of Kai, where is he?"
 
"Probably kissing some random girl..." Lay said, in the same tone he used to Sehun. The group laughed.
 
"Kai that player.." Someone said, sniggering. 
 
"Oh hey Krystal!" Baekhyun called out to a darting figure in the crowd at the hallway. Krystal made way to them and Luhan let go of Sehun. Sehun linked arms with her as if they were trading. 
 
"Hey." Krystal smiled to everyone in the group and Sehun felt annoyed.
 
"Hey Krystal." Sehun said. "Let's go somewhere else." 
 
"Oh sorry for interrupting your couple time! Have fun!" Lay winked at them and the group laughed. Krystal was unfazed and even laughed but Sehun wasn't as controlled in facial emotions as her. 
 
Sehun tightly pulled Krystal to the school roof, shooting students in their way glares, telling them to move. 
 
"Huh." it was all Krystal said on their journey. 
 
They reached the roof and Sehun opened the door, gesturing Krystal to go in before slamming the door.
 
"I want to ask you a question." Sehun said breathlessly. And before she could reply, he hurriedly continued. "Do you like me?"
 
"If I didn't, why did I ask you out?" Krystal arched a perfect eyebrow and stared at Sehun almost mockingly. Or perhaps it was a figment of his imagination. 
 
"Don't lie." Sehun snapped harshly but changed his tone almost immediately, realizing perhaps he was a bit too rude. "I mean, do you seriously like me? And tell the truth." 
 
"Seems like you already know the answer." Krystal said coolly. 
 
"Do. You. Like. Me." Sehun grit his teeth. He wanted a straight answer from this infuriating girl. 
 
"Well, no." Krystal answered bluntly but Sehun felt relieved that he finally got it from her. However, Sehun almost felt something else. Was it disappointment?
"I don't see why you should be all angry about it though because we both know neither of us likes each other. You know I don't like me. I know you don't like me.."
 
"Then why are we dating?" Sehun asked in spite of himself. "And I'm not angry!" Sehun defended himself.
 
"Do you want the truth?" Krystal asked, sitting down on the floor. Sehun followed suit. 
 
"Yes." Sehun muttered although he already knew the answer.
 
"I dated you because I wanted to own what I couldn't get and you dated me because you wanted popularity didn't you?" 
 
"Is it that obvious? Kris knows, you know and probably Kai knows." Sehun said sighing. 
 
"Anyone with half a brain realizes it." Krystal smiled. "Unfortunately,it doesn't apply to many of our grade." Krystal added. A smile touched Sehun's lips.
 
"Huh, you're actually alright when you're not hanging around them. Soojung." Sehun commented. Krystal stopped.
 
"You called me Soojung." Krystal said. 
 
"Oh yeah, let's make a deal then Soojung." Sehun smiled. "Whenever we're alone, I'll call you Soojung, when we're with people, it'll be Krystal. I mean your English name makes you seem cooler right?" 
 
"You hypocrite Sehun." Krystal grumbled. "You're the one who's always careful their reputation and popularity." 
 
"Hey! It's not like you were bullied or anything." Sehun said defensively.
 
"Fine, Soojung alone and Krystal in public okay?" Krystal agreed. "And since we've both got our reasons for pretending to date each other and such, let's continue it. I'm mean you're all popular now and everyone respects you now and I get what I want."
 
"Sure, whatever works out for us." Sehun agreed eagerly. "But meanwhile, let's just secretly be friends?" 
 
Sehun held out his pinky.
 
"You loser." Krystal rolled her eyes but grudgingly held out hers too. "Friends." Krystal linked their pinkies. "For now." Krystal added and Sehun rolled his eyes.
 
"Is it like a standard or rule for you to be horrible or something?" Sehun asked.
 
"Of course." Krystal said cheerfully.
 
"I actually used to dislike you." Sehun admitted suddenly. "You seemed so shallow and frilly to me. And arrogant." Sehun added unnecessarily. 
 
"I thought you were a loser." Krystal retorted. "Still do." Krystal joked and Sehun protested loudly.
 
Their voices of banter continued increasingly over the span of hours and finally their goodbyes were exchanged as each of them set out for home. They both had a smile on their faces.
 
And so for the next few days, it continued like that. Sehun would lie about his favorite sport teams and indie bands to his friends. Then after school, Krystal and Sehun would meet up on the roof of their school, spending hours talking.
 
So gradually, the week passed quickly.
 
~~
 
"Soojung, are you going to Xiumin's party?" Sehun mumbled, it was almost dark now, as the hours on the roof sped by until finally it was almost Xiumin's party. 
 
"Of course. Are you?" Krystal said in surprise. 
 
"Yeah." Sehun muttered. 
 
"Good, let's go to his party together." Krystal said. "It's almost 6 and I don't want to be mugged or something..." She continued muttering darkly about the dangers in the dark and Sehun wasn't sure to laugh or not.
 
So they rode in Krystal's gleaming Porsche while Sehun jealously cast furtive glances at the car. It that his girlfriend had a better car than him and that she even had a car at this age. His parents were worried that Sehun would crash into a tree and even prayed the first time  in 17 years when he first drove his parent's car.
 
"Nice car." Sehun grumbled. 
 
Krystal flashed him a smirk. "You jealous?"
 
"Shut up Soojung." Sehun shot back and Krystal's smirk only grew bigger.
 
Krystal opened to say something witty or something but was interrupted as a huge wall of sound hit them. Sehun jerked up in surprise but Krystal remained calm and collected. Probably because she went to a lot of parties and was used to the sound.
 
Blaring pop music was blasted in the house but even in the street, he could hear the lyrics. 
 
"I'm going to go deaf after this." Sehun said regretfully.
 
"Weren't you already?" Krystal said innocently. 
 
"Shut up and drive Soojung." 
 
~~
 
Author's Note
Argh, I apologize for the late update. It's for school holidays for me in Australia and although it's a great opportunity for me to update, it actually isn't because I just procrastinate all day. Sorry!
 
Anyway, I'm moving the story along now. Sehun and Krystal both know neither of them like each other but they're actually getting closer now. Hurhurhur. 
 
Thanks for commenting and subscribing!!