Flowers

She's So Dead To Us

Hana:

I was a horrible person. A horrible, dishonest, nefarious person.

Siwon flipped through a rack of plaid cowboy-styled shirts and I felt like I was going to cry.

"What about this?" He lifted a distressed waffle-knit Tshirt off a separate rack.

"Luhan has that shirt," I said, before I could edit myself.

Siwon's face fell. He turned and jammed the shirt back on the rack. "Never mind."

"Sorry, I just.." I followed after him, my underarms prickling. Was it always so damn hot in this place? "Is something wrong?"

"No. Nothing." Siwon said facetiously. "Do you realize that's like, the tenth time you've mentioned him today?"

He turned to face me between two huge racks of Stylenanda sweaters. I had to tell him the truth. I had to tell him about Luhan.

He'd just given me the perfect opening.

"Ten times?" I said with a gulp. "Come on."

Chicken. I'm a chicken.

"You like him, don't you?" Siwon said.

Okay. It was now or never. I took a deep breath and held it for a moment. This was going to .

"Siwon, I'm really sorry --"

"I knew it!" He turned away from me and started speed walking for the aisle. "I am such an idiot. The guy asked you to dance right in the middle of me asking you out. If that's not a sign, what is?"

"Siwon, come on. Wait up!" I hustled after him as best I could with my bulky coat over my arm and my bag slung over my shoulder. "Can we just talk about this?"

We burst out into the aisle, and a woman wielding a perfume bottle squeaked as she sidestepped out of our way. 

He whirled on me. I'd never seen him so angry before, his nostrils flared, his eyes wet.

My heart collapsed on itself. It was my fault he looked like that.

"What's to talk about? My girlfriend likes some other guy," he said, looking me dead in the eye. "So I guess she's not my girlfriend anymore."

 

Ouch. That hurt everywhere. Siwon his heel and stormed away.

"Wait!"

I wasn't sure why I was calling after him. I just didn't want him to leave like that. I didn't want him to leave hating me so much that his entire walk was different.

 

 

~

 

 

 

"Flower delivery! Somebody loves you!" Chaekyung announced, bouncing down the aisle distribting flowers.

Oh. Valentine's Day.

When she stopped next to my desk, I almost deadlegged her. "Hi, Hana! Somebody loves you!"

My heart stopped as she reached into her quiver and extracted a huge bundle of pink carnations tied with a red ribbon. He grin was wide as she placed in front of me.

She probably felt happy that I wasn't as big of a loser as she'd thought.

Then she took out one lone pink and dropped that in front of me too.

"Who're they from?" Yoona asked as Chaekyung moved on.

I flipped over the white slip on the bouquet. It had been decorated by the cheerleaders with glittering heart stickers, but the message was simple and written in careful letters.

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY

- Your secret admirer

Next to the signature was a small drawing of a sword and a shielf.

A knight in shining armor. I almost laughed out loud.

Unbelievable.

Luhan had sent me V Day flowers. What did this mean?

Did he like me? Was he going to ask me out? Or was he just trying to do something nice for me?

Every day since detention ended, I had missed being with him. Maybe this was his way of telling me he missed me too. That he wanted us to talk or something.

"Well?" Yoona prodded.

"Don't know," I replied, avoiding eye contact.

The tag on the second flower was blank. I had a feeling I knew who it was from, and I suddenly felt unpleasantly warm.

Baekhyun had sent me a secret admirer flower that last Valentine's Day before I left, even though he and Krystal were already going out.

What was wrong with him?

Was he messing with me? Trying to be nostalgic? Or did he actually still like me?

But no. A person who l ikes you doesn't help his friends prank you and invite you to parties that aren''t there. They dont completely avoid you for six months straight and then send you one lame flower.

 

Yoona and I hit the crowded hallway.

"Your flowers are so obviously sent by Luhan."

"Uh, no," I blushed.

"Oh shut up,"

"Can we drop this?" I hissed.

 

We spotted Seul Mi, Suzy, Krystal up ahead, and Seul Mi was holding almost as many flowers as I was, but hers were almost all white.

"Whoa. Who're they all from?" Someone asked Seul Mi as we walked by.

"Pink's from Taejun. He sends one every year. And I got a white one from all my friends," she said, lifting them like a shrug. "Except Luhan. He doesn't do flowers."

Yoona and I exchanged a smile, and I could hardly contain my smug glee.

"He does flowers for some people," Yoona sang under her breath. I cracked up, this bubbly silly joy gurgling inside of me.

 

I rounded the corner, expecting at every moment to see Luhan. Should I say hello? Smile? Ignore him?

But as I came into the front hall I had found myself face to face not with Luhan, but Siwon. His eyes widened and his face paled.

"Oh. Hi." He said.

It was the first time he'd said anything to me in over a month. My spirits surged with hope.

 

That afternoon there was a pink slip on my desk in Language class. For the past two weeks all the juniors had been getting called to the guidance office to talk about college applications.

Looked like it was my turn. As I strolled into the office, my heart instantly sank.

Baekhyun was sitting on the couch in the waiting area, slumped back with his legs splayed. He sat up straight the moment he saw me.

"I'm here for Mrs Yong," I said to the secretary.

"A sec, hon." She replied as she typed frantically on her keyboard. "Have a seat."

Fantastic.

I walked over and dropped down next to Baekhyun.

"Hey. Happy Valentine's Day," he said.

"Yeah you too." I replied flatly.

"Any plans?" he teased.

I blew out a sigh. "No."

"Who gave you those flowers?"

"I don't know, Baek. They're secret admirer flowers." I said in a condescending tone.

"Huh." he dropped down against the back of the couch again. "When you get a bunch like that, I guess you don't notice one more,"

I turned and looked him in the eye for the first time, my heart pounding blood through my veins at an alarming rate.

Baekhyun's dark eyes danced happily, like he was oh so proud of himself.

"It was you."

He shrugged and looked away. "Maybe."

"Have you forgotten that you have a girlfriend?" I said through my teeth, feeling warm and conspicuous and like I wanted to be anywhere but there.

"So?" he said, grinning at me. "Didn't matter the last time."

"You are such a pig!" I blurted.

The secretary looked over at us with that expression of impatience that half the faculty wore every day.

"I'm kidding!" Baekhyun replied at a half whisper, like I was being so immature. "Calm down."

 

"I am calm." I said. "But just so we're clear, that night was a mistake, okay?"

A slight, embarrassed blush rose up onto his cheeks, and I instantly felt bad for being so blunt.

"Whatever," he said. He slumped down on the couch and crossed his arms over his chest, looking like a petulant kindergartener. "I was just trying to be nice. I figured no one would send you flowers, and  I didn't want you to walk around school all day feeling pathetic."

 

"If you wanna be nice to me, how about you stop acting like I don't exist when you see me in the halls?" I said. "I'd appreciate it a lot more than a flower."

 

 

 

I sat in history class the following afternoon trying desperately to stay awake, my eyes crossing as I retyped Mr Goo's notes from the board and into my laptop. Outside, snow swirled and the wind whistled past the windowpanes. I was just about to let it lul me to sleep when I saw my phone light up out of the corner of my eye.

It was inside my bag but sticking out of the interior pocket just enough for me to see the screen.

I glanced at the back of Mr Go's balding head. He hadn't turned around in at least fifteen minutes, so enthralled was he with his own musings and getting every word of them down on the board. I snatched the phone into my lap.

My heart pounded, and suddenly I was wide awake.

It was from Luhan.

 

Will any1 notice if I start snoring?

I glanced over my shoulder at him. He smirked and flashed his phone at me under the desk. How had he even gotten my number? I texted quickly, my fingers trembling.

IDK. How loud do u snore?

 

His response was immediate.

IDK. Sleep over some time and u can tell me.

 

I laughed out loud and slapped my hand over my mouth. Krystal turned around and shot me a reproachful look, her perfectly pink lips pursed.

That was Krystal for you. Captain of the Manners Police.

"Something funny about the Vietnam War, Miss Kim?"

Mr Goo asked.

"No," I squeaked.

"Good. Then let's get back to it." he replied.

My phone lit up again.

 

Busted!

 

I smiled and texted back.

 

Tnx 4 the flowers.

 

What flowers?

 

LOL. V funny.

 

I have no idea what ur talking about.

 

I froze. It wasn't possible, was it? It had to have been him who sent the flowers. 

 

Gotcha!