Reminiscence

Fulfill your promise

 

Seven years flew by. Toy chests turned into a desk, crayons turned into basic make-up essentials, doll houses into a stereo system, and dolls into CDs from the latest Kpop groups. Your parents always tell you that you're growing up and starting to mature. "We are glad you're growing up, we have important stuff to discuss with you in the future." they said.
 
Yeah you wondered what it was about, but you never could think long enough before Taemin popped up into your head. You were in seventh grade now, you sort of understood what you felt toward him. You saw these kind of things on televison and whatever, where a boy and girl were bestfriends and one began having these "feelings" for each other. They were explained as fireworks and other things that popped and sparkled. And thats exactly how you felt.
 
You think about him everyday and reminisce about the days where he promised you things. And may you add, they were very cute things. 
 
Entering: Reminiscence of your past.
 
"Alright, alright kids, gather into your triplets. We need to leave on time, and be back in time to wash up." Mr. Lee Jinki instructed the children. "I'm excited for this night walk, aren't you?" Taemin asked you from his group of Gwiboon and Taeyeon. "I guess, i-in a way." you said next to Key and Minho. "Just my luck, I hate the dark. Why couldn't I be in Minnie's group, instead of Taeyeon? Greeeaat." you thought. Nobody knew you were afraid of the dark, not even Taemin. It's too embarassing to admit, especially now that you're in fifth grade. You needed to hide this secret and just couldn't let this out here at a week-long camp.
 
"Good, now the path is large enough for your groups to walk side by side. It will be getting darker as we head into the forest, so you all need to hold shoulders or hands." the awkward man said, tripping over the air." Taeyeon looked over at you, mischief glossing over her eye. You brushed it off, knowing it was coming anyway. You heard rocks beginning to tumble across the ground, and that was your cue to start following the person in front of you.
 
As you started to enter the trail, Taemin was in the middle of the two girls. Which meant Taeyeon was next to him, and that was not acceptable for you. Gwiboon looked back and you nodded your head. You two had talked about this the other night when you found out your triplets. Planning ahead was a great idea, but you never planned for what happened next. Gwiboon turned to say something to Taemin when she suddenly locked onto something that made her eyes almost pop out of her head.
 
"Hey uh, Taemin?" Gwiboon said examining two hands glued together. "Can we switch place-"
 
"Sorry, he wants to stay in the middle." Taeyeon sent back.
 
"Uh, y-yeah. I'm sorry." Taemin added.
 
The now brown haired girl smirked and flicked her head up to smile at Taemin.
 
Your best girl friend turned back to you and gave you a little shake of her head and clasped her own hands together, indicating what was happening with sorrow in her eyes. The corners of your lips slowly dropped as you studied the ground below you. "You barely walked into the forest and you're clinging to him like a little girl. Unnecessary." you thought. Key looked at you, then at Gwiboon. Key winked at his other half. 
 
"Listen up, this is where it starts to get darker. Hold onto your partners." Mr. Lee finally instructed. Immediately, your right hand shivered at the touch of something that needed your warmth. You looked up to find Minho staring down at you with a smile. You beamed back at him and a giggle escaped your mouth. Key, being the diva he is, scoffed at the cheesy scene and pulled your other hand forward. 
 
You fell forward into the direction of the tug and felt yourself being dragged. You pushed past pairs of hands until you were let go of for a slight moment before grabbed onto once again and continued walking. Complaints were sounding from behind you when you heard a sassy voice reply with something witty. You found yourself being slung forward and pushed a bit before your other hand was soon occupied. 
 
You really didn't understand what was happening before Gwiboon's voice sounded in your ear. "Taemin. You. You're welcome, thank me later." Suddenly, you knew your face was turning red. This was the only time you were glad that it was dark. Thank god, because you looked to your right and found yourself being watched by 4 shining orbs. 
 
Taemin whispered your name in confusion, coming closer to your face. You hoped he couldn't feel how hot your face was, with him that close. Your little moment was rudely interrupted by the witch on the other side of your best friend. Pulling him back to place by his hand.
 
The next half hour of the hike was probably the worst in your life. The whole time you were with them, you stayed quiet, listening to the devil girl crack jokes, and to Taemin's precious laugh. You could imagine him covering his smile with the back of his hand, that habit was just so cute and you thought you would go crazy when he did that.
 
It hurt you when you heard Taemin praised her, telling her how funny she was. He never said those things to you, just laughed at whatever you were saying. During that time, your hand dramatically fell out of his. "He couldn't possibly like her more than me right? Whatever, just don't think about it. Um. Sorry sorry sorry sorry~ Taemin and Taeyeon. Haru haru~ Taeyeon and Taemin. GEE GEE GEE GEE~ TAEMIN AND TAEYEON." 
 
You really thought you were crazy. Not this again, you didn't want to cry here. Your cries were always audible no matter what. You couldn't, just couldn't. You just needed to wait five more minutes to get back to the cabins, and you could cry all you wanted.
 
You could see the beginning of the trail, from where you entered before. Tears started welling up already, and you just needed to get out of there and- Taemin reached for you hand again. Your faces illuminated by the light of the cabins, making your watery eyes shimmer. His face was full of concern, and mouth parted. "Wasn't this just refreshing?" the teacher asked the students before stumbling. "Boys go to your cabins, and same with you girls. But don't forget to get washed up! Goodnight~" Mr. Lee said with a big smile.
 
"Come with me." Taemin said, not really giving you any choice, tugging you away, and leaving a speachless Taeyeon behind. You remember him bringing you behind the bathrooms to ask what was wrong. You just looked away and wiped away stray tear drops with the sleeve of your jacket. "Don't ignore me." he said with a concerned face. 
 
"N-Nothing is wrong alright? Don't worry about me." you said to him.
 
"I find that hard to believe." he replied pointing at your tear streaked face. "Come on-"
 
"I'm afraid that you want to be with Taeyeon more than me! I'm afraid that you will choose her over me because she's funnier and prettier than me! I'm scared that you won't be my friend anymore. You look at her in a certain way..." you lashed out.
 
"No! That's not true. I'm not choosing her over you, I would never do that to you. YOU are my best friend and that will never change. I promise, I will only look at you, alright?" Taemin explained to you. Something sounded funny. The way he said those words.
 
Memory end.
 
"Thinking back, we really sounded like a couple." you thought, smiling to yourself. At that age I guess Taemin didn't really know what he was saying to you. "I will only look at you." that sounds like he's saying that he won't date anybody except you. But a promise is still a promise, and you just hoped if he will keep to it, in whatever way he meant it to be.
 
~~~~~
 
The same familiar ringing came from the living room; somebody came over and you assumed it's the same three people who came over everyday at the same time for the past two weeks. You heard your mom call you from down the hall for dinner. You shrugged, realizing that you had a load of homework to do, but have been procrastinating for the past 45 minutes. Great.
 
You walked up to the table, and greeted the guests, then took to your usual spot next to Taemin. "Omo, why are you all looking at me like that? And what's the special occasion cooking our favorite food?" ("our" as in, you and Taemin) you asked half surprised half excited. "Eat first and enjoy it. We'll talk after dinner." Taemin's mom said with an inviting smile. But you didn't need an invitation to eat, oh no.
 
About an hour passed until the table was finally cleared. You enjoyed the dinner almost as much as you love the company and conversations you had tonight. They were awkward topics to discuss, but you shake it off and think its just an adult thing.
 
"So the occasion is actually very special, we, including Taemin feel that this is the appropriate age to tell you. So we waited all these years to wait for you to mature into a young lady." your mother started. "As you know, our families both run decent companies, and I grew up with Taemin's father." your dad continued. "Your parents and our family decided that it was best if you and Taemin elope when you are out of schooling." said your future father-in-law. Taemin grabbed your hand from under the table and laced your fingers together. You looked at your hands with wide eyes, then up at Taemin's angelic face.
 
His hair was now a light blonde, and angelic was definitely the right word to describe him. With his now defined facial features and his kind intentions, it was perfect. You can't help but feel the butterflies in your stomach flutter and fly around. You swear the room turned white as his open arms invited you to fall into them.
 
And that's exactly what you did.
 
It took just until last year to realize that you've been in love with your best friend, but hadn't said anything to anybody except Gwiboon.
 
He held the back of your head closely to his chest, you could hear his heartbeat, that sound so comforting. "Did you know about this the whole time?" you asked, looking up a bit. "Of course I did. Or else I wouldn't have protected you or made you important promises." he said as if it was stupid for you to even ask that.
 
"But do you have real feelings for me?"
 
"Pabo." he chuckled, running his long fingers through your soft and now long hair. (you grew it out because Taemin had told you he's always wanted to play with a girls hair) you pulled away slowly. 
 
All this time you were so worried about being friend zoned, but it turns out your future was already decided. You thank your parents kindly in your head, sending them telepathic messages.
 
"You accept him for your future hubby right?" your future mother-in-law asked you.  "Of course!" you said with a smile. You were so happy that you started shaking really badly, and Taemin did his best to soothe you and calm you down. You could already tell he was already fit to treat a girl like you, right.
 
The two of you (and your parents) finally confirmed that you are officially dating each other. Damn, you're on top of the world right now! "Nothing could ruin this day. It doesn't matter what. The best part is that I won't have to hide the relationship." you secretly thought, and grinned to yourself.
 
After the talk you took Taemin's hand and started leading him down the hall to your room when your dads voice sounded after you, "One rule change, no closing your door when Taemin is in there." 
 
You let a quiet "Aigoo." escape your lips.
 
~~~~~
 
The next two years passed with almost too much drama than you could handle. Jealous girls who wanted you dead because you were dating the wealthy, handsome, dancer boy, Taemin. Taeyeon especially. She really tried all she could to break you guys up. 
 
It was actually quite pathetic. She uses Minho as her slave and minion. She even got him to flirt with you, and make it look like you were cheating on Taemin. (Which actually worked on the girls in the school, but Taemin was too smart for that)
 
Well now you were free from that drama of the middle school years and starting new in a high school. Now that you've promoted, you have two and a half months to enjoy yourself without the stress of school work.
 
                                                                      Baby <3
                                                             Sent 5:26 pm
                            Are you coming over today Tae?
Minnie <3
Sent 5:27
I don't think I can, sorry babe. Parents want to talk to me about high school.
                                                                      Baby <3
                                                            Sent 5:28 pm
                        Oh, alright. It's fine. Text me after?
Minnie <3
Sent 5:30 pm
Sure thing babe ^^ <3
 
Minnie <3
Sent 8:02 pm
Hey can I come over tomorrow?
                                                                     Baby <3           
                                                             Sent 8:05 pm
                      Yeah sure! ^^ Hey what happened?
                      That was a pretty long talk...
 
Minnie <3
Sent 8:06
I'll tell you tomorrow.
 
~~~~~
 
"W-What?" your mom managed to sputter out. "There is no need to worry, they will always be in contact with each other. "It's as if nothing changed." Taemin's dad informed.
"Are you really positive about that?" your dad asked his childhood buddy. "I am. This is best for the both of us and our families future." he replied. "Please, put your faith in us." his wife then concluded.
 
 
 
A/N: So here is when more things start to happen! I hope you all don't mind the time gap ><;; Anyways.... FIVE CHAPTERS ALREADY? Well, i'm gonna try not to get caught up with unimportant things and get down to business! I estimate this fanfiction to be over in maybe..... 2-3 more chapters? Thanks for reading! ^^