Mushrooms

Fulfill your promise

Ever since you first moved to Korea when you were about 2 years old, all you ever heard was this name repeated over and over again. Tae-...... something. But it didn't matter to you anyways. The only word that distracted you from your favorite dinosaur singing on the television was the word marriage. Even if you were 5 years old at the time, you definitely understood that word. Your parents often use that word when these slender ahjumma and ahjusshi come over. But only use it when they are over.

You thought it was weird how they came over so often. You wondered why. You heard little fragments of their conversation between the show and commercials, talking about things "back in the day" and college and that word. Whatever they were conversating about, you didn't seem to pay any mind to it. It didn't invlove you anyway, right?

"Who cares, I don't even know these strangers in my house." You thought aloud.

~~~~~

Sitting in a wooden chair hovering over your dish of Korean barbeque, you pondered about the wedding show on television you watched the other day. Silently thinking to yourself, "I want to be that beautiful bride I saw on tv yesterday, with a very handsome-"

"YAH!" Your mother's booming voice rudely interrupting your day dreaming. "Eat your mushrooms or else I wont let you have dessert tonight."

You absolutely despised mushrooms, but your tongue longed for the tase of bitter-sweet chocolate from the cookies baking in the oven.

After dinner you lay on your stomach mentally choosing from the variety of toys you had to play with. Choosing a male and female doll you   of course    played wedding. Ignoring the loud ringing bouncing off of the walls inside your house, you change positions to sit criss-crossed on your living carpet. Suddenly, the peaceful household filled with greetings and tons of laughter within seconds of hearing the front door open.

Immediately reacting to the ruckus, you hopped up took your leave down the hall and to the right, entering your light pink room. Repositioning yourself on the bed, you made your toys dance mindlessly.
"You may kiss the bride!" You mutter to yourself; jealousy and annoyance coloring your tone as you smashed Barbie into Ken. You honestly hated when people came over, your parents always got drunk and so loud that-

"What're you playing with?" A voice as smooth as silk, and sweet as honey called to you. You looked over your shoulder in shock and awe as your thoughts began to spiral down into plain nothingness.

Standing there, was a boy about your age with hair, black as night and mushroom shaped. Porcelain white skin and a small figure that looked so fragile the wind could snap him in half. Those eyes looked amazing as half moons when we bared his teeth. A smile so glowing and full of life that you couldn't help but just stare at him. Looking at him the way you were, you looked like a crazy mental child.

"Uh, i'm sorr-" he started, smile slowly fading from his face when he realized he walked into a girl's room uninvited. "No, no! It's okay! I was playing with my Barbies." you excitedly said, rudely cutting  him off. (But who cares abou manners when you're five?) The corners of his face turning upwards, amused with how you had just acted, "Shall we play together then?"

You nodded, your face looking like it was brushed over with pink paint. Both of you spending the next 2 hours together talking in high and low pitched voices imitating those of men and women for the toys. This is the first time really interracting with another child. You hadn't started kindergarten yet, so you never really had friends outside of your cousins and whatnot.

"Hey, want to know something?" you said in a shy voice. "Hm?" the boy looked up from behind his dark bangs. "Y-you're my first friend from here." you whispered, embarassed by the truth. "Am I really? Do people not like you at the day cares? How come? You're really cool I don't understa-" he ended suddenly noticing your dark pink face and mouth open in an "O" shape.

"I'm really sorry! I didn't mean to get carried away, I-"

"Thank you!" you beamed at him. You were smiling so big that you thought he could see all of your pearly whites! (Well, all of the pearly whites you grew by that age) 

You watched as you watched his emotions change drastically from embarassment to joy, which made your heart swell up and feel little tingly thing in your stomach. You can't find the words to even describe this feelings. It kind of reminds you of pop rocks in your mouth and tickling down your throat. Or maybe even the crackling sound after a firework explodes into the never ending sky.

~~~~~

At this time, four familiar head poked into the doorway of your room. Two of them registering as your own parents, and the other two- wait, is that ahjumma and ahjusshi?! You shot the snooping adults a confused look until the ahjumma got right to the point. "Taemin, we are going home now. Say your goodbyes now.  The elders obviously looked please for some reason, but you couldn't figure out why.

Hold on a minute. "Min.... Tae? Tae+Min... That was it! This is Taemin, this is who my family always talks about! So this is Taemin's parents then." and suddenly everything started making sense and clicking into place. As you sat there dazed, the mushroom headed boy jumpped down from your, rather large bed for a five year old, and glanced up to you with a smile. That smile he shot you looked infected by something along the lines of disappointment and sorrow.

"Taemin, don't worry. You'll be seeing her more often from now on." his father hummed happily. Taemin turned to smile to his father."Goodbye!" the child said with a respectful 90 degree bow. Jumping off your bed, you happily returned it.

~~~~~

Standing besides the rows of slippers, you watched as the two families exchange their "Goodbyes" and "Get home safes" but you didn't pay attention to that. You only noticed the pale porcelain skin of the human in front of you. It was like nobody else was around, just you and Taemin. You wished he could stay longer so they could play more, but the sun was going to rest, and the moon was ready to play.

As he turned to leave the through the open door you suddenly found yourself calling out to him "Taemin!" he looked back and blinked, waiting for you to continue on, "I don't go to daycare, my mom works from home." you said giggling at his assumption earlier that night. Here came the embarassed face again. With that, he nodded and went off on his journey to get to the car before he froze to death. (But you would never let that happen)

Observing Taemin's haircut bounce up and down as he paced a jog to the SUV parked alongside the street made him look funny. You noticed him shake a bit, trying to bare the icy fingers prickle his face and make tiny bumps arise from his body. You just wanted to go inside your room and give him your blanket, but then again, you don't know when you would see him next.

The SUV was then filled with it's driver and passengers. By the dim light inside of the car you could see everybody inside. All of them waved a hand and shot  a smile. Taemin got his smile from his mother.

You waited until you could no longer see the two red eyes of the car and waddled away from the drafty door that was soon shut by your dad. You found yourself wondering how long it would be to finally be able to play with him again, your dad said soon. So that is what you hoped for. 

~~~~~

The night had ended up being better than expected, meeting your first friend and having such a lovely time with him. You felt that you two have such a strong bond and that you two will always be friends. "He's perfect. For a best friend."  you hummed to yourself while getting into your bed.Your eyes falling under the spell of the SandMan, you began to doze off. Before you fell into dream land, you thought that maybe, mushrooms werent that bad after all.

 

 

A/N: I tried my best at this, and I have way more to go in this story (You obviously dont stay as little kids) give me feedback? Is anybody willing to read the other chapters if I write them? Thanks for reading c: