the rock.

chanyeol and the rock.

 

 

He stared at the rock. His eyes scrutinised the not so big yet not so small item. The boy had been cooped up in his room ever since the rock had entered his life. It was a beautiful day outside, but Chanyeol being Chanyeol, had decided ultimately that the rock was more interesting than kids falling victim to his ‘interesting’ concoctions.

The rock was ordinary – the usual rock that you could find on the streets.

Chanyeol tried to read the scratches and weird squiggly lines that were printed on it. The more he looked at it, the more fascinated he was. It could be a code of some sort! Perhaps sent to Earth by aliens! Morse code? A foreign language? Cave men speak? Egyptian stories? Old Chinese folktales? Mm, maybe some sort of encrypted spells related to witchcraft.

At one point he actually grabbed his favourite Harry Potter wand - which he had specially ordered from England, along with the numerous other Harry Potter characters’ wands - and waved it, yelling out spells. Despite a few attempts – though he realised he was pronouncing ‘Wingardium Leviosa’ wrong, oh boy Hermione would be damn pissed off if she were to mentor him – nothing happened. Well, his eyes were probably playing tricks on him, cause he could have sworn he had watched the rock levitate.

He sat cross-legged on his bed, the rock having been placed delicately on the table in front of him. The table was crowded with an overwhelming amount of test tubes either filled to the brim with oddly coloured liquids or simply empty. Though one tube contained a single hair. That was a story for later.

Letting out a deep sigh, he then stood up, his muscles aching from the amount of time spent on sitting on the bed. It was an odd feeling; Chanyeol was usually all over the place. Once he enters a room, you were assured that something – not would – but will break. Therefore sitting still was, well, an impossible predicament for him.

The rock had changed him.

It had worried his family members and friends at first, seeing the over hyperactive science genius all quiet. They were used to the sound of loud crashes and explosions that occurred within his room – his world.

Therefore a quiet Chanyeol meant that he was either going through depression or simply science block.

Pouting as he glanced at the newly replaced glassy window, he rewinded his memory back to the day in when the rock had entered his life.

It was precisely two weeks ago – Chanyeol was surprised that he could remember exactly when it happened, considering the fact his attention span was, well, short. The young man had been taking a fine stroll around the neighbourhood – trying to find something interesting. Having encountered nothing remotely of interest, he had returned home to – gasp – find his window broken.

A group of similar aged kids had passed by his house and ‘accidentally’ – he’d bet his inventions and songs on that they had in fact planned very meticulously on targeting him – threw a rock in the direction of his house, his window!

Chanyeol being the happy virus he was, reassured them that it was fine and that he wouldn’t beat the hell out of them or chase after them. How could he? The group of guys that had done the deed were frightened at the sight of his frizzy hair and oversized glasses. Although the glasses were for decoration – apparently according to his sister’s logic, it made him look smarter and cuter. Not that he wasn’t already cute enough, what not with his feminine looking face.

The gang of delinquents amused him. A tall panda eyed boy had been staring – no, glaring at his direction. Then there were the two kids with absolute perfect faces that could rival Yifan’s glomping the panda. Rather an odd sight to the passer-bys’. Jongin and Sehun, was it? That one kid whose eyes were literally bulging out of his sockets amused him greatly. Cute, but Chanyeol’s attention had been mostly on that one kid who wore thick eyeliner.

His name was Bacon. Or Constipation.

Okay fine, Chanyeol would admit that he hadn’t exactly done his proper research as the eyeliner guy’s friends had addressed him with nicknames rather than his proper birth name.

After raising an eyebrow, the Bacon kid had confessed that it was him who threw the rock.

Since then, Chanyeol had spent hours and days on trying to figure out what the rock could mean. The Bacon kid could have written his phone number on it, maybe engraved his signature inside and remoulded it with clay – oh.

“Of course! Why didn’t I think of that?” He let out an exclamation as he quickly scuffled to his wardrobe that were actually neatly arranged according to colours – cause he valued his clothes and fashion a lot – before jumping into the piles of boxes that contained unknown but definitely very dangerous substances.

After scrambling about for an hour and a half, he finally found what he was searching for. In the midst of doing so, his best friend, Yifan had trudged up the stairs – Chanyeol could hear him from a mile away – to check on how he was doing. The relieved sigh that the taller boy had exhaled had scared Yifan himself – he was actually relieved at the fact Chanyeol was making a mess, which he, Yifan, would have to clean up later.

It was nice to have his friend back.

However Chanyeol had ushered the boy out of his room – well, he’d suppose that he pretty much literally, uh, kicked the basketball captain out of his . . house. Literally as in meaning physically – Chanyeol thanked God for making him a tad bit shorter than Yifan; meaning he had a better relationship with the core of the planet, well basically gravity, than the tall giant.

“I’ll steal your clothes, Chanyeol, I tell you that, you bastard!”

“Okay, I don’t care, perfectly fine with me, I mean, they weren’t mine in the beginning anyway, they were yours.”

“What, you stole them?! So that’s where they went!” The MVP had been really angry, dragon red angry.

“Mhm, but hey, ya know what they say, Kreese, yolo.”

And with that the scientist had slammed the door into Yifan’s face.

Ignoring the groans of mixed pain and anger coming from the other side of the door, he yelled back at the door, trying to warn his darling best friend. “You kick the door down, you’re paying! Again!” Grabbing a cup of milk before turning around to shout at the poor innocent caught-in-the-middle door, “You still haven’t paid me back for that day!”

A “ you, Park Chanyeol!” echoed back, making Chanyeol grin his usual creepy smile. Shrugging as the string of obscene comments that came from the multilingual friend bounced off the walls of the ancient house, he went back to his room, having gotten so used to Yifan swearing at him in four different languages/dialects.

“Life is sweet.” He remarked to himself, smirking as he drank his milk in one go before picking up from where he had left.

“Ah, sweet hammer, please don’t hate on my thumb no more,” the boy murmured to the object before hammering away at the rock. “Down you go!”

. .  . . . .

. .

 . .

.

“The is this?” He asked himself, having tired himself from excessive use of his arms as he stared at the rock. He had not only try hammering, but also drilling – well, he had to go to a construction site and ask a nice construction worker for his driller, in which he had paid the fellow a good sum of won – into the rock, smashing it from a skyscraper, asking a baseball player, Kibum was it?, from his school’s baseball team to try and pitch it to him – which he had actually managed to catch it properly – bruise free and all, and uh, oh yeah, rock shaving.

“Ee, eks, oh.” He said out loud to himself. The gull sitting outside his bedroom window, perched on a trunk stared at him as if he was crazy.

“Exo?” Chanyeol tried again, slowly. The gull merely shrugged its non-existent shoulders. “Meh,” the scientist shrugged along with the creature before opening his window to feed the gull. Not that it was weird for a gull to be watching him, him who lived in the city of Seoul, a city that was located hundreds of miles away from a seaport. Yeah.

The boy frowned deeply, an unusual facial expression mapping his face as he mused over the meaning. He decided to ask his best friend – well, his other best friend, Google, considering Yifan would only put on his face and judge him for asking such a question. Though Dictionary.com was a very tempting number three best friend candidate but he preferred Google. After all, the two sites were ing, considering that the dictionary site was always listed on top whenever one searched for a dictionary definition of a word.

Yup, they were ing all right.

“Ooh, it’s a planet!” He gushed, his eyes darting from the rock to the laptop screen. His eyes scanned the Wikipedia page, trying to speed read. Chanyeol was lucky enough to have photogenic memory, meaning he had managed to memorise everything written on the page.

“Exo, huh?” The scientist mumbled. “Would be an awesome name for an idol group.”

His eyes widened as he thought of idol groups, the boy quickly jumping down from his bed before grabbing his music notepad and a pencil. By the end of the week, he had managed to write not one, not two, not three, but four songs. Yes, four songs based on his observation of the rock.

The songs were titled as follows :

1.     Let’s Rock and Roll Like a Buffalo (Rock ver.)

2.     Let’s Rock and ROLB (Dance ver.)

3.     Time Control

4.     Machine

5.     Two Moons

Okay fine, five songs but usually in Chanyeol’s opinions, differing versions did not count as different songs.

He had even choreographed the main chorus of the dance version for ‘Let’s Rock and ROLB’. Of course, him being the literal self, well, the dance moves consisted of literally rolling on the floor and throwing a rock at the audience. The trick was to not hit the audience members.

The rock version . . rock was an understatement. Chanyeol had actually gone up to Minseok – cause he was one of the rare guys that could actually pull off screamo - and well, there was a screamo part in the song.

Time Control was about a guy trying to confess his love to his crush by throwing rocks at the crush’s bedroom window. However as the song ended, the guy ends up getting the same treatment from his crush though at least they got together in the end.  There were a lot of video manipulation going on for the choreography; the title of the song is “Time Control”.

Machine was a very heavy dubstep song in where the bass was really heavy and low to the point of Chanyeol wishing he had three heads like that dog that guarded the Philosopher’s Stone or Sorceror’s Stone or whatever it’s called in Harry Potter, so he could do the song some justice by doing some proper head banging.

Two Moons was a hip hop song – Chanyeol was more of a hip hop person anyway – in where he had managed to get Yifan – or Kris, that was his, uh, stage name - to rap along with him. Of course he inserted Yifan’s infamous phrase that definitely should earn the two an Oscar or medal of some sort  - ‘Roll Like A Buffalo’.

The genius had been experimenting around with some drum pads before his music session was interrupted by the sound of his window being tapped. Chanyeol placed his Beats down on the table – it was his fifth pair, therefore he didn’t want to end up destroying it either – and crouched over to his window.

It was the group of kids again.

Except Yifan was there as well. Sitting beside the panda kid.

“Ayo waddup Kreese?” He greeted his best friend, smirking before curtly nodding to the rest of the gang.

“I still hate you, you know?” The giant MVP player snarled.

“Says the guy who ditched me for that panda kid,” he retorted, shaking his head.

“I-I have a name. Zitao,” the panda kid spoke up softly, surprising the scientist. It wasn’t what he had expected; Chanyeol had thought the kid would be the typical overconfident guy with a lot of swag.

“Ah, nice to meet you Zitao! I’m Chanyeol,” he introduced himself, flashing an overenthusiastic smile paired with a very large wave which led to his hand being smacked against the window frame.

“More like Chanyolo,” Yifan murmured, rolling his eyes as the rest of the group watched Chanyeol yelp like a girl, tending to the bruised hand.

Chanyolo?” The group chorused, a questioning tone evident in their voices.

“He’s a bit cuckoo in the head,” the basketball captain explained, tapping his head to further emphasise his point.

“It’d be too boring to be normal,” Chanyeol shrugged as he finally calmed down from his moment of panic. He fixed his glasses before asking the guys, “Whaddya guys want?”

“Uh, I want my rock back,” the pretty eyeliner kid said, scratching the back of his head nervously.

“Oh, you mean this rock?” the tall boy had gone to fetch the rock before reappearing by the window again, this time with the rock in hand.

“Yes, that one,” Bacon nodded, his eyes lightening up at the sight of it.

“Exo huh? Here you go,” Chanyeol tossed the rock back to the kid, letting out a relieved sigh when the eyeliner guy managed to catch it. Patting himself on the back for a bruise and injury free throw, he then turned his attention back onto the rest of the guys.

“Thanks,” the pretty boy thanked him, smiling. Chanyeol had to pinch himself to make sure he was still alive and breathing, and that he was not dreaming at all. Really, it should be a crime to have such a breath-taking smile.

“No, thank you,” he replied sincerely before glancing back at the clock nailed to the wall. “Fancy a cup of tea?”

“Do you have cake?” Zitao asked curiously, blinking in quite an adorable manner. No wonder Yifan is so attached to him. The said Yifan was trying his best to not pinch the Chinese’s cheek, his long fingers curling at the sight of the innocent Zitao, making Chanyeol shake his head in amusement.

“Mhm. I also have some donuts from Dunkin Donuts and some bacon flavoured Lays,” he offered, trying to list the snacks he had left.

“Alright then, don’t mind if we join you,” the Jongin guy took up on the offer, beginning to walk towards the entrance of his house.

Chanyeol was just about to run out of his bedroom before he returned to the window, noticing that they had still not entered his house. “Oh, by the way Yifan, use the key please. You kick the door open again, you’re paying for the damage,” he reminded his best friend.

“I was obviously going to use the key,” Yifan scowled back, frowning at how the fellow rapper kept on reminding him to act properly. It was a bit ironic considering Chanyeol was the real clumsy guy, not Yifan.

The science genius merely rolled his eyes in response before replying, “Yeah right. Hurry up though, I’ve gotta show you how Two Moons turned out.”

Chanyeol leaped towards his bedroom door before quickly going down the stairs. He however, uh, missed his footing on the last step and ended up crashing into one of the guys.

“Clumsy as ever,” Yifan shook his head, not bothering to help the scientist up as the aegyo filled Zitao attached to his arm dragged him to the kitchens for some cake.

“You okay?” Chanyeol asked the guy that he managed to ungraciously crash into.

“Yeah, I’m okay. But the question is whether you’re okay,” the male replied, a concerned look evident on the pretty boy’s face. It was the Bacon kid.

“I assure you, this is perfectly normal, Baekhyun.” Minseok said, grabbing some steamed buns from the oven. Ah, so his name is Baekhyun! Chanyeol thought that the name definitely suited the pretty boy, it was perfect.

His thoughts about how wonderful Baekhyun’s name was disappeared as he realised that Minseok had popped up out of nowhere. “Minseok? When did you get here?” Chanyeol asked, the puzzled expression on his face making him look like a lost puppy, whatnot with his curly frizzy hair – which would be the outcome of letting his sister experiment on his hair for her hair studio.

“Jongdae told me about the musical spree you were having. No wonder you wanted me to record that screamo track-” the elder began to explain while munching on the steamed bun he held in his hand. However Jongdae quickly gained their attention by his loud squeal, cutting off whatever Minseok had left to say, “- my pet gull!”

“Oh so that gull belonged to you all along,” Chanyeol noted, surprised. He hadn’t expected the gull to belong to someone, though he did thought of Jongdae when he first saw the gull sitting outside his bedroom window. Jongdae had spoken to him about wanting a pet gull before when the topic of domestic pets had come up in one of their random yet very interesting conversations. Yifan had merely gave the two a judging face before asking himself why he was even friends with the two weirdoes.

“Why a gull though?” Joonmyeon asked, peering at the singing major. He was sat on one of the kitchen stools, having pointed out to Zitao and Yifan where the cake was.

“I just felt like it,” Jongdae shrugged, before hugging his pet gull to death. The gull merely squawked in return, Chanyeol could have sworn that he heard a tint of happiness in the gull’s squawk.

“Oh, hey Suho!” Chanyeol greeted the elder, finally realising that he had yet to greet his friend.

“Ayo waddup Joonmyeon!” Yifan said, doing some sort of handshake with Joonmyeon. He had finally managed to find Zitao the cake, meaning he could actually greet the elder boy properly.

“Hey you two,” the said boy smiled back his one hundred watts smile which literally lit up the whole room, no joke, but that was probably because at the same time, the Sehun kid had drawn back the curtains and opened the windows, bringing light into the once dark kitchen.

“He has .. two names?” Baekhyun asked slowly, confused. The boy’s question snapped Chanyeol out of his brief lost-in-the-moment-and-just-going-with-the-flow state, causing him to blink rapidly in a confused manner before grinning.

“Suho’s our nickname for him,” Chanyeol explained as he got up, “Come on up, I have to show you what your rock did to me,” he said enthusiastically, helping Baekhyun stand up.

“Uh, I’m sorry for the damage, did I pay for it fully? I mean, I did pay for the insurance and whatnot, but still, I feel ba-“ the shorter boy started to ramble before being cut off by Chanyeol. Though he wouldn’t mind watching the pretty boy fumble around with his words with such an adorable worried face plastered on that pretty face of his. Plus, his voice was really soothing to listen to.

“Don’t worry about that! Stuff like that doesn’t worry me! I tend to be a tad bit clumsy so what you did there was nothing,” the science major tried to reassure the boy standing beside him. Slinging his arm over the pretty boy’s shoulders, he flashed a comforting grin – or what he thought to be a comforting grin – at the boy.

“He’s right, Chanyeol has been through worse,” Minseok agreed out of the blue before passing the duo as he trudged up the stairs, followed by Jongdae. Jongdae nodded in agreement, before adding, “A tad bit clumsy is definitely the understatement of the century.” The gull that sat perched on his shoulder imitating his nodding as well.

“Let’s go!” Chanyeol yelled out, dragging the poor shorter boy along with him as they went upstairs to his room.

“Uh, Chanyeol, was it? Mind if I cook dinner?” someone asked timidly, barely inaudible. Save for Chanyeol’s super hearing. He halted to a stop, barely catching his balance.

Checking whether Baekhyun was not hated by gravity like he was, he then turned to the owner of the voice, “Sure! You must be a good cook, . . ?”

“Kyungsoo. Though, uh, Yixing, here, is going to help me . .” the owl eyed kid replied in a shy manner, pointing his chin towards the guy sitting next to Joonmyeon.

“Ah, that’s good then! Yixing’s a fantastic cook, I trust my kitchen with you two,” Chanyeol chirped as he continued up the stairs. He could hear a “Can I help you?” from Joonmyeon and the Jongin guy.

-

a/n - this was originally supposed to be a oneshot but I decided to turn it into a multi chaptered fanfic. o u o