Chapter 2

Rin Silverhands

Rin’s POV

I sat down in class and glanced to the front. Oh crap. Of course my brother and his friends would be in my class, just my luck.

“Class, these are new students. Ren Choi, Jonghyun Kim, Aron Kwak, Dongho Kang and Minhyun Hwang, please make them feel welcome.” And even better was that they sat by me. Oh this would be interesting.

The lessons passed with JR and I managing not to kill each other. I was quite impressed, he was extremely intelligent, one of the top two in the class, I was actually the other. Lunch came and I went into the cafeteria to my table and started eating. My appetite left me as Ren sat next to me, his friends sat around us, JR, Minhyun and Aron sat opposite us and Dongho sat on my other side.

“Hi, I’m Dongho but please call me Baekho, excuse Ren’s fussiness and JR’s attempted-toughness.” Baekho grinned.

I shook the hand he offered. “Nice to meet you, I suppose. You’re a pretty good lot, even Jonghyun, or should I say JR. Not many people have the guts to retort to me or even get back up after I knock them down. And none are as fun to knock down as you, JR.” I grinned.

“Hilarious. Not.” And he went in to steal my cookie.

JR’s POV

Just as I touched her cookie, a fan smacked my knuckles and I drew back my hand, rubbing it.

She glared at me and shifted her cookie away. “Don’t. Touch. My. Cookie.”

“Ouch! Tetchy little brat.” I muttered.

SMACK!

The brat hit me over the head with her fan! “Don’t call me a brat either!!”

The others laughed.

“I’d say that they’re getting on quite well, don’t you agree?” Minhyun laughed.

We, the boys, talked while eating our lunches. At one point Rin hit us all over the head with her fan, ordering us not to talk with our mouths full. I was going to, just to annoy her, but then I remembered what she did to me this morning.

She still hadn’t eaten her cookie, I noticed, as she pulled out a Sudoku puzzle book. I looked towards the cookie hopefully.

“Don’t even think about it, babo.” She said without looking up.

I sighed and leant on the table, defeated.

“Wow, the legendary JR has been defeated by a girl at last!” Aron teased and they laughed. Even Rin smirked at that.

“I’m not defeated—just—temporarily withdrawing…” I protested lamely.

“Either way she’s won for now.” Ren replied.

I watched her finish a Sudoku, these were the extremely hard ones yet she’d finished it this quickly. How the hell did she do that?

Rin got up to leave and started walking off.  She tossed something over her shoulder to me. I only just caught it. It was her cookie! Actually make that half of her cookie, but still it was some cookie! :D

I ran after her. “Bra—Rin. Thanks.” Oops, almost called her brat.

“You’re welcome, babo.” She replied, sending a smirk my way.

What was it that amused me so much about her?

Rin’s POV

JR and I got off on the wrong foot. Despite being a jerk at times, he’s a pretty good person. He was clever, witty and funny. I was surprised when I decided to give him some of my cookie. Aish, I was getting soft.

I wandered around until the bell rang for class to start. Finally it was the last lesson of the day and I actually had a free period. I was wandering around, thinking of what to do when I passed the music room and heard some amazing singing coming from it.

I looked in at the window and to my surprise saw JR. I smirked as I realized I knew the song: Mona Lisa by MBLAQ. I snuck in behind him and started singing too. He faltered and spun around, shocked. He was even more shocked to see me.

“You aren’t that bad at singing.” I mused.

“Thanks, you too.” He replied, turning off the music. “Are you always so sneaky?”

I smirked. “What do you think?”

“Oh great.” He sat and gestured for me to sit by him.

I sighed, figuring out how to phrase my words. “Are your wrist and back alright?”

He laughed. “They’ll be fine. Um, I feel I should apologize for calling you a brat earlier.”

My finger on his lips halted his speech.

JR’s POV

I stopped talking when her finger touched my lips.

She smiled faintly, it was tiny, the corners of only just moving. “It’s fine, I can be a total brat when I want.” Her hand fell away.

I steadied myself in case she hit me after what I was about to say next. “Friends?”

She looked out the window and then back at me. In her eyes was an ancient pain. “I don’t have friends. They get killed. Or they betray and almost kill me.”

I didn’t want anything more then, other than to protect her from whatever had hurt her so.

Wait, what?! Jonghyun, what’s with you?! You, the badass cares-about-no-one guy, wanting to protect a girl. Oh crap. I realized that I was starting to care about the little brat. Goddamn it! And she may be a friend but she’s still a brat. Albeit a cute one. Wait, what?! Ugh, there were times when I hated my heart and mind.

“Enjoying the view?” She raised her eyebrows.

Oops, I’d been staring at her.

“Maybe.” I admitted. She seemed lost for words, unsure what to say. “That was a complement.” I added.

“I know that but I’ve never had a complement so I do not know what to say in reply.” She admitted.

“Well, nice to know I was your first.” I winked. She got that innuendo and punched my shoulder.

She laughed softly. “Babo.”