The Beginning

The Purest of Love

 

 

            A slight air bubble escapes my lips and rises to the surface of the water, it quickly disappears once it’s made contact with the air up above; the air that I was being deprived of. At first, all I saw was green with a slight light ray coming from up above; I was sinking lower and lower into the water, and I began to see my surroundings become bright, even with my eyes closed.

          It’s funny how this all started out, it should have began to scare me how violent Kai was becoming towards me, but I told myself  that he was just getting his anger out and that it was practically normal.

          He would one day grow up and change.

          Everything would be different, right?

          Kai hasn’t always hated me. I’m sure there was a time when we were in diapers that he somewhat liked me- at least, I really hoped so.

          I felt my surroundings shifting, I couldn’t process what was really going on but then I felt something soft on my lips and then out of no where I began to choke, so I turned to the side and the water began to come out of my mouth. My heart was pounding from being restarted again, and when I looked to the side I saw a small boy smiling at me. The sunlight made his brown hair really light, his skin was creamy white and his sweet lake like eyes stared at me in amazement. I was beginning to panic. This little boy looked like an angel, so then…I died?! OMO Kai killed me!

          “You ok?” he asks me in a small, pleasant voice. He was oddly really cute, and I’m not sure why but I felt myself drawn by him so I quickly stop and just nod and mutter, “Thanks.” I felt really scared from what just happened and I still wasn’t sure if I was alive or not.

          He helps me stand up and I quickly run home because we were moving to the house in front of the woods. (Or would it be considered behind the woods?)

 

          “Mianhae” I repeated over and over again to my parents but they were completely furious when they saw me.

          “I CANT BELIEVE YOU WOULD GO FOR A SWIM WHILE THE REST OF US ARE UNPACKING!” My father yells at me and I only bow my head and just pout in response. I really didn’t like being yelled at but I was slowly becoming immuned to it.

          “As punishment you will be walking around like that all day!” He pushes me into my new room and throws my luggage to the ground. “Now, unpack” he says simply and leaves my room. I looked around and felt my heart dropping at the size of it. I was way too small to have such a big room all to myself. Then 5-year-old Sungmin walks into the room with his bunny plushie between his arm and waist and then he smiles at me before sitting on my bed.

          “Want help?”

          I nod and smile at him. We begin to unpack my clothes and put them away in the drawer. We could hear Luna crying in the other room and I began to wonder if my parents forgot to feed her. They tend to do that sometimes.

          So I run downstairs and prepare her a fruit bowl then I run into my parent’s room and found her sitting in the corner with tears in her eyes. “Are you hungry Luna?” I smile sweetly and hand her her food.

          She nods happily and takes it, “Saranghae” she says in a small voice and begins to devour the food, like if she hasn’t eaten for days.

          I peck her head and walk back to my room before I get scolded again.

          Unpacking was a drag but the biggest drag was signing up to the school nearby- well it wasn’t nearby and that’s what hurt, that I had to walk through the woods to get there. My parents were doing this as a way to educate me, they told me walking and knowing my surroundings was important. I was tempted to tell them that I was only six-almost seven, but I stayed quiet.

          I was scared about the school because I would be enrolling in the middle of the year.

          On my first day of school, I was holding onto SungMin’s hand and walked him to his classroom, “I think this is it” I smile at him.

          “Hyukjae, I think you’re gonna be late” he pouts and then the bell rings. “Sowy” he says softly.

          I smile and shake my head, “Don’t be, go to class” I peck his head and he nods and runs inside while I walk off and try to find my own class. My head was buried into the school’s map but then I bumped into someone. “Sorry” I apologized quickly.

          “It’s ok” he says and stares at my map, “Are you new?” he frowns and I nod. “Oh! Nice to meet you, I’m Heechul” he says and waves at me.

          I smile at him, “Hyukjae” I felt slightly embarrassed, “DO you know where this is?” I show him my room number and he grins.

          “That’s my class!” He grabs my arm and drags me away and once we were inside a classroom filled with students I felt my face heat up.

          “Heechul, why are you late?” the teacher asks him.

          “Was showing the newbie around” he smirks slyly then goes off to sit in his seat.

          “Hyukjae…welcome” she smiles at me and I just bow and stare at my feet. “You can sit in that empty seat…in the back…” she says and I walk off but I looked around and my eyes widened when I see the same little boy that saved me- he was smiling at me, he waves but I look away in embarrassment and make my way to the back. He was sitting in the front luckily.

          Time seemed to slowly go by.

          I avoided the little boy as best as I could because I felt so embarrassed by him. I practically owed him my life and I didn’t even know how to thank him properly. He would sometimes talk to me, but I was too shy to really start a conversation with him.

I’m not sure what changed in me.

          It was middle school when I began to change. The amount of friends I had was drastic. I had to stop being shy and work at what I really wanted in life and that was make musicals or at least make music through my piano. It started off badly for me, I hated the mere thought of the piano before, but now I love it.

          When I was finishing middle school, most of my friends decided that we should all buy motorcycles. So we did and that was the same year that I got my first girlfriend. We started dating during the summer but we didn’t last very long because Kai stole her away from me. It hurt, it really did because she told me that she preferred him.

          He was apparently a much more fun person to be around.

          Thanks Kai.

          But they didn’t last long either because since Kai got what he wanted, he saw no thrill in being with her.

          I spent the rest of my summer locked up in my house, practicing my piano. I played nonstop since I was nine, but I left it for a while since my parents went out of town, but I eventually went back to it; I didn’t stop playing until my hand would cramp up.

          The years went by so slowly, and somehow I ended up becoming more of a father for SungMin  than a brother since my parents haven’t been home for a long time.

 

          The alarm begins to ring an unstoppable, annoying sound that nearly pierced my ears in my sleep. I groan in my sleep and force myself to get out of bed, I make my way into SungMin’s room and push him a bit in his sleep. “Wake up Minnie…*Rub eyes* School time…” I say, unenthusiastically and then limp over to the bathroom.

          I shower quickly and change into tight black pants, dark boots and I throw on my leather jacket. I grab my sunglasses because I still felt too tired to face the bright sun. I walk past SungMin’s room and groan, “SUNGMIN WAKE UP!” I chuckle while he groans and forces himself off the bed. I make my way to the kitchen and was about to prepare us breakfast, but before I could the doorbell rings.

          I walk over to my front door and open it. It was DongHae. It’s funny…I’m not even sure how he made it a habit to come visit me in the morning, but the first time he did I was taken by complete surprise. He would even sometimes yell a goodnight to me from his window…its so weird how he’s my neighbor. I first found out his name when we were in in 1st grade (my first year in his school) but I never made an attempt to speak to him…so why is he so nice to me? Shouldn't I be the one that’s praising him?

          He clears his throat and mutters, “I made you some pancakes” he smiles sweetly and holds out the plate towards me. I drop my head and stare at the plate. I half smile “Breakfast again, DongHae? Are you spoiling me?” I half smirk and take the plate from his hands.

          He seemed to slightly smile but he stares at the ground, so I couldn’t really see. “No not spoiling, just making sure you have your healthy breakfast.” He says in a sweet voice.

          Aw that’s nice of him, I smile to myself.

           I stare behind him and see my friends showing up  in their motorcycles, they groan at the sight of DongHae which makes him turn to look at them. They stared at him funny and I figured it was because they didn’t really talk to him, so it was still weird to see him talk to me. “I should go now…have to catch the bus, but I’ll see you at school, k?” He smiles and I only nod and watch him leave towards the woods.

          “Bring any cakes for me?!” Kangin asks in a teasing manner but Donghae just shakes his head and walks off.

          “Aww he brought you breakfast…he’s so kind” Heechul teases but I only roll my eyes and let them in.

          “Want pancakes?” I smile and set them down on the table. I was asking SungMin- who was slowly, and lazily making his way into the dining room.

          “Please” he says tiredly and sits down on a chair.       

          We eat while Heechul, KyuHyun, Kangin and Hangeng make their way around my house; they were the only ones allowed to walk around like  they owned the place since I trusted them.

          KyuHyun peeks out the window, “Hot girlfriend alert” he smirks and opens the door.

          “Hey guys” SooYoung says in her usual high voice. She giggles and walks over to me and pecks my cheek. I smile at her and offer her some pancakes. “Oh! Yes please” She eats one and nearly melts, “Its sooo good! Did you make them?” She smiles at me.

          “Nope. DOnghae did” Heechul answers for me with a smirk.

          Her eyes widen and she drops her fork in disgust, “Ew.” She says simply, stands up and walks over to the door, “LETS GO BEFORE WE’RE LATE!” She says and walks outside.

          SooYoung and I started dating after being friends for a while. I thought she was really pretty and well…she was really nice (to me) and I didn’t see why not. Our relationship was sort of weird at first but after a while it became very loving, I definitely loved being around her.

          We leave to school quickly.

         

 

          I make my way to my locker but as soon as I opened it, someone runs to me and says, “Hi Hyukjae” in an oddly sweet voice and sweet smile- he turns side to side in a cute way, but I just kept staring into my locker.

          I wasn’t surprised that it was DongHae, he was always around, but I didn’t really mind.

          “Hi” I say simply and look through my books.

           “I was wondering…I am having a soccer tournament soon and it would mean the world to me if you could go and watch me,” he smiles sweetly at me.

            “Hmmm…” I purse my lips. “When is it?” I asked while looking through my notebooks.

          “Saturday” he says in a small voice, and big eyes.

           I take off my glasses and look at him; half smiling, “I’ll try to go, but no promises, k?” For some reason I feel like I’m busy this weekend but I couldn’t quite remember what I was doing.

          He nods slowly, “Thank you” he says under his breath. He didn’t seem done with the conversation, but then out of no where SooYoung comes up to me and practically attacks my lips. “Baby, Jessica is having a party this weekend and I don’t have a dress to wear.” She whines.

          I smile at her and try to sweetly remind her that she has a closet filled with pretty dresses but she didn’t seem too happy about that, so to make her feel better, I would peck her lips every now and then. She would smile and kiss me back.

          I frown a bit when I realized that Donghae was gone.

          AISH I’m so rude. I shake my head and close my locker.

          “Hyukjae, are you gonna go to the party?” she asks with a smile.

          “Nope.” I have a tournament to go to. My phone suddenly vibrated and I checked it; my calendar was reminding me of something important and my heart nearly sank when I saw that I did have plans this weekend.

          I shake my head and stare at my phone for the longest time. The musical production would be starting soon and I’m the one in charge so I have to start having auditions for not only the cast but also the ones who would be working backstage.

          “You should go!!!” She whines and stomps her feet but I just shake my head and try to explain to her what was going on. She seemed bored so she just shrugs, kisses me and leaves quickly.

          I really didn’t know if I should tell Donghae or not.

          Maybe he won’t even notice that I’m not there.