Chapter 5

MORE THAN A MEMORY

 

“We never got a honeymoon,” Yul said, looking at Yoona.

 

“Huh?” Jesse asked.

 

“Yoong and I we never got a honeymoon,” he repeated. “When she gets out of here, and she’s finally recovered, I’m gonna take her to London,” he said.

 

Jesse looked at his brother for a minute, before pulling up another seat in the room next to his. “Yul?”

 

“Yeah?” he said, taking his gaze off of Yoona.

 

Jesse sighed. “I want you to fight for Yoona... I do, but you need to remember, there’s a possibility that she won’t come back to you.”

 

Yul shook his head stubbornly, returning his gaze to his wife. “Not an option,” he said firmly.

 

“Yul...”

 

Yul’s eyes flew to Jesse. “I won’t live without her again,” he said quietly.

 

“OK,” Jesse said smoothly.

 

Yul sighed and ran his hands down over his face. “Losing Yul Jr. was hard, but this... seeing her like this...” he shook his head, “I didn’t know it could be so hard.”

 

“Yeah, I know,” Jesse said, squeezing his brother’s shoulder. “It’s my best friend laying there, Yul.” There was another moment of silence. “Were you guys in touch?” Yul asked Jesse.

 

He nodded. “Yeah, we were in touch. We talked two or three times a week more if she had things going on.”

 

“What kinds of things?” Yul asked, interested in any information about the life Yoona had been living that he could get.

 

“Yul...”

 

“Never mind, you don’t have to answer,” he said quietly, letting his brother off the hook.

 

Jesse sighed, “On your birthday, on your wedding anniversary, on Yul Jr.’s birthday and on the anniversary of his death.”

 

Yul nodded.

 

“Just times when she really needed a friend.”

 

“Thanks for being there for her,” Yul said.

 

Tiffany came in flying into the room at that point, taking her jacket off in a huff. She threw it on the chair by the door to the entrance of the room. “Stupid vultures! The whole lot of them!” she complained, pacing.

 

Jesse and Yul looked at each other and then Jesse looked at Fany and cleared his throat. “Babe? That was quick.”

 

“Yeah, well, really? What am I going to say? It’s not like I have any new information. Unless, of course, I were to say, ‘Oh, by the way, Yoona’s super famous husband and by coincidence, my brother-in-law, NBA sensation Kwon Yul flew in and has been by her side throughout this whole ordeal.’”

 

Yul laughed. “That would be awesome,” he said.

 

“What?” Fany said in panic.

 

“Well, not the aftermath, but seriously. To see their faces? How awesome would that be, Fany?” Fany cracked a smile for the first time since coming into the room. “OK, to see the look on their faces would be priceless, but I couldn’t do that to Yoona. Not without her permission. Fun as it would be.”

 

“So, what did you tell them?” Jesse asked.

 

“Continue to keep Yoona in your thoughts and prayers. Thanks for all the letters and cards, blah blah blah. The usual,” She looked at Yul. “Any updates?” she asked, going to Yoona’s side to get a better look at her.

 

“Shouldn’t you have asked me that before you met with the press?” Yul asked.

 

Fany waved a hand in the air. “Oh, who cares about the stupid press?” she said. “Do you know what one of them asked me?”

 

“What?” Yul asked.

 

“Ms. Hwang, are you sure that Yoona hasn’t already woken up and that this isn’t a publicity stunt? Her new record, after all, is set to be released in just under a month.”

 

“What did you say?” Yul asked.

 

Fany sighed. “I’m afraid my professionalism deserted me. I said, ‘Yes, sir, she’s up in her room right now, wide awake, playing tiddlywinks as we speak. I’ll let her know that she’s been busted, and she’ll be right down to give you a big fat hello.’”

 

“Fany, you did not say that,” Jesse asked.

 

Fany grinned. “Actually... I did.”

 

Jesse laughed. “Well, save some of that feistiness for later,” he told her.

 

Yul rolled his eyes. “You guys, please.”

 

“Oh, what, in the room?” Jesse teased.

 

 Yul snorted. “I might as well be,” he said to himself.

 

Jesse and Fany looked at each other, eyes wide, trying not to laugh.

 

Jesse cleared his throat.  “By the way, I brought some clothes for you. In the bag, by the door,” he said.

 

Yul nodded. “Thanks,” he said.

 

Jesse stayed for a little while longer and sat with Yul, Fany and Yoong. At 9:30, he left for a meeting with his editor, who had flown in from New York. After walking him to his car, Fany returned to the room.

 

“OK, dude, I can smell you all the way over there. Go take a shower! I promise I’ll stay with Yoong,” Fany ordered him.

 

Yul looked at her and grinned.

 

“What?” she asked.

 

“You’re the only female I know who can pull off ‘dude’,” he told her.

 

She laughed. “Yes, well, I have a way with words.”

 

Yoona’s nurse walked in. “How’s our patient today?” she asked.

 

“I don’t know, Rosie, you tell us,” Yul said.

 

She looked at him and grinned. “You remember my name! Are you sweet on me?” the motherly lady asked.

 

Yul grinned at her. “Busted,” he said. “Hey, Rosie, do you think it’d be OK if I used the shower in this room?” he asked.

 

“I’m sorry, Yul, but patients bathrooms are strictly for the patients. You shouldn’t be using them at all,” she told him.

 

Yul nodded. “OK,” he said.

 

Rosie looked around as if to ensure that they were alone. “Look, I probably shouldn’t tell you this, but there’s a gym in the basement of the hospital. It’s for employees only. I’ve never actually used it, but I have a key,” she reached into her pocket and pulled it off her key ring, giving it to Yul.

 

“Thanks, Rosie,” he said, smiling widely. “You’re the best.”

 

The woman blushed. “If they ask, you stole it from me,” she said.

 

“Got it,” he affirmed.

 

She gave him directions to the gym and he grabbed the bag Jesse had given him to bring with him.

 

Forty-five minutes later, Yul returned to the eight floor of the hospital, and when he got to the door of Yoona’s room, he started panicking. Her room was packed with people just like it had been in his dreams. He knew he shouldn’t have, but he elbowed his way through the people until he was at the foot of her bed.