Chapter 14

MORE THAN A MEMORY

 

A week later, Yoona and Yul were in the living room on a blanket Yul had laid out on the floor.

 

She was lying down looking through a magazine with her head on a pillow, her leg elevated on another pillow, and Yul was on his stomach looking at a magazine. “Okay, fact or fiction,” she said, as Yul was reading his magazine. “Kwon ‘Im’ Yoona gets a nose job,” Yoona said.

 

“Fiction,” Yul said, not taking his eyes off his own tabloid.

 

“How do you know?” she asked.

 

He flipped the page of his magazine. “You think I couldn’t tell if you’d gotten a nose job? I’d have notice,” he said confidently.

 

“Really?” she said amused. “Because you didn’t notice…”

 

“That you went up a cup size?” he said, finally tearing his gaze away from his own article to look at her. He grinned from ear to ear. “Yeah, I did. I just didn’t say anything.”

 

Yoona’s arms flew up over her chest. “How did you know?” she asked incredulously.

 

“Yoona… I spent hours and hours exploring that body. You think I don’t notice every single thing about it?” he teased.

 

Yoona swallowed nervously. “Even the public didn’t notice that,” she said.

 

“Well, the public didn’t spend hours bringing them to… peak,” he said.

 

Yoona’s eyed got wide and she pursed her lips, trying not to laugh. “Yes, you certainly did that a time or two didn’t you?”

 

“A time or two,” he agreed. “And for the record, there was nothing wrong with them before, but I definitely like this look, too,” he teased.

 

Yoona blushed. “Thanks,” she said embarrassed.

 

“Are you sorry you had it done?” Yul asked, studying her face.

 

She shrugged. “Not really. I like the way I look in my shirts more now,” she told him honestly, chewing on her bottom lip. “I seem to fill them out better.”

 

Yul smiled at her, reached for her hand and lacing his fingers with hers, he gave it a squeeze. “Then stop with the nerves,” he told her. “They look great, and if you like them, and if I like them,” he teased, “then what does it matter?”

 

Yoona laughed. “I know,” she said. “When I first had it done, I was sure about it, but afterwards, I just kind of wondered.”

 

He lifted their hands up and placed a kiss on hers. “Wonder no more,” he said softly.

 

Yoona grinned timidly at him, and then looked back down at her magazine, her hand still joined with his. She resented the fact that it felt so right, knowing that every minute she spent with him was going to make it harder for her to leave.

 

“Okay, this one,” Yul said. “Fact or fiction… Kwon Yul’s celebrity crush. Is Yul secretly in love with Ryan Gosling? (just love the actor)”

 

Laughter bubbled up Yoona’s throat. “Are you kidding?” she said.

 

He looked at her dryly and held up the magazine for proof. “Let me see that!” she said, grabbing for it. She quickly scanned the article and then dissolved into a fit of mirth. “Oh my words!” she squealed.

 

“That is so funny and definitely fiction!” she wiped at the tears of laughter on her cheeks, and then pulled the magazine up in front of her again. “Who wrote the article?” she asked curiously. “Cinnamon Smith (can’t think of funny name)” Yoona snorted. “Nice name. Did she try to sleep with you?” she asked uncertainly.

 

“What?” Yul asked.

 

“Well, where would she get the idea that you’re not straight unless you turned her down.”

 

“Is my wife jealous?” he asked amused.

 

“No,” Yoona disputed. “I’m curious.”

 

“About my life,” he said seriously.

 

Yoona swallowed nervously. “Maybe a little,” she conceded.

 

“What do you want to know?” he asked.

 

“Nothing,” she said waveringly. “Nothing,” she said again a few seconds later, firmly this time. As curious as she was, she knew that listening to Yul talk about his life would not benefit her in any way. It would just upset her.

 

“I won’t go into details, Yoona,” he told her. “I’ll just say there’s not much to tell.”

 

It made her feel better, but she’d never admit it. She could feel Yul’s gaze upon her, waiting for a reaction, but she refused to give him one. She was saved when her cell phone rang. She looked at the caller id and smiled as she recognized the phone number. “You had better be calling to tell me I’m an aunt again,” Yoona teased.

 

On the other end of the phone, she heard Yoonhee laugh tiredly. “You’re an aunt again,” she confirmed.

 

“Oh! What did you have?” she asked.

 

Yul, realizing who it was, moved to sit up beside her. He looked at her curiously.

 

“Oh, congratulations!” She put a hand over the receiver. “She had a boy,” she whispered to Yul.

 

“Tell her congratulations for me,” he said quietly.

 

“Yul says congratulations, too,” she said. “SO, how was your labour?” There was a pause and then Yoona laughed. “Yeah, five days overdue would ,” she agreed.

 

“So, there’s something I wanted to ask you,” Yoonhee said awkwardly.

 

“What’s that?” Yoona asked.

 

She heard Yoonhee take a deep breath on the other end of the phone. “Yoong, we want to name him Yul Jr. II. We want to name him after your son,” she said gently. The line was silent and Yoonhee was suddenly filled with remorse. She’d only wanted to honour her sister’s son, not to hurt Yoona’s feeling. “Yoong? We won’t if you don’t want us to,” Yoonhee told her younger sister.

 

She heard Yoona sniffle. “I would love that, thank you,” she said through her tears. She looked up into Yul’s eyes and they were filled with worry. She took his hands and squeezed it.

 

“Oh, I have to go, Yoona,” Yoonhee said. “They’re bringing him back in.”

 

“Give him a kiss for us,” she said huskily.

 

“I will,” Yoonhee promised. “I love you, Yoong.”

 

“You, too, unnie,” Yoona said, then closed her phone.

 

“Is everything okay?” Yul asked urgently. “Is the baby okay?”

 

He watched as Yoona swallowed past the lump in and pulled her hand from his. She wiped at the tears on her cheeks. “She’s naming him Yul Jr. II,” she told him. “Yul Jr. after son,” she said looking up at him.

 

In less than a second, Yul had Yoona in his arms and they were clinging to each other. For the first time Yoona witnessed her husband shedding tears for their little boy they had lost. Clutching him tighter, she lifted a hand and gently the back of his head as he wept into her shoulder.

 

Yoona rolled over in her bed as light from the hallway bathed the room. She looked at the clock and it said it said six am. Movement from the doorway caught her eye, and she smiled softly when she saw Yul standing there. “Hey,” she said her voice husky from sleep.

 

He came over to her bed and sat down next to her. “Did you sleep well?” he asked.

 

She nodded and he leaned down to kiss her on the forehead. “I have to go to Charlotte today,” he reminded her.

 

“For your meeting with the Bobcats?”

 

He grinned. “Yes,” he said. “Jesse will be here at nine-thirty or a little before so that he can take you to your doctors’ appointment.”

 

“Okay,” she said. “Are you going to sign today?” she asked, trying sit up. Yul helped her so she was up against her pillows.

 

“I’m not sure,” he said. “My lawyer is flying in, so you never know. It would be nice to get everything squared away, but I’m not even sure they want me,” he said, not wanting to get his hopes up.

 

Yoona whacked him on the arm. “Not sure if they want you?” she asked amused. “Yul, you’re NBA’s golden boy.” She rolled her eyes. “Of course they want you.”

 

Yul smiled. “You think?”

 

“Yes, I think, but it’s like you said,” she reminded him, “They don’t think they can afford you. They probably want to get their hopes up, either.”

 

Yul shook his head. “But it’s not about money.”

 

“You know that, and I know that, but I’m afraid the rest of the world hasn’t caught on yet,” she teased.

 

Yul laughed softly. “I wish I could be there when you get your cast off today,” he said.

 

“Oh, trust me it’s not going to be pretty. Remember my cast in high school?” she asked.

 

“Yes, and I didn’t get to be there when that one was removed, either,” he reminded her.

 

Yoona laughed. “Today is going to be like the return of Teen Wolf,” she said.

 

Yul grinned. “I remembered, so I put some extra razors in your bathroom.”

 

“Gee, thanks,” she said.

 

“You’re welcome,” he said, then sighed. “I need to get on the road.”

 

“I still don’t know why you didn’t leave last night and just stay at a hotel.”

 

“I told you, I didn’t want you to be alone.”

 

“I could’ve stayed with Jesse,” she said.

 

Yul shook his head. “Nope, I want to be the one taking care of you.”

 

She lifted a hand to his cheek. “You’re doing a great job.”

 

“Thanks,” he said, leaning in to wrap his arms around her. He gave her a tender squeeze. “I’ll see you this afternoon or this evening,” he said, pulling away.

 

“Okay,” she said, as he stood up. She moved to lie back down on the bed and Yul covered her back up.

 

“Get some more sleep,” he told her.