Chapter 13

MORE THAN A MEMORY

 

Yoona was so overcome with emotion at Yul’s sweetness that she didn’t know what to do. She sighed softly, and as she stood there with Yul so close to her, she couldn’t help but remember another time when he’d been in a similar position.

 

FLASHBACK

 

Yoona’s hormones were raging, and it seemed that these days, Yul couldn’t leave the bedroom for ten minutes without her calling him back in. he grinned at the thought, kissing her heatedly on the neck. ”You have too many clothes on,” Yoona said breathlessly, pushing him away frantically. She pointed to his jeans. “Take your pants off,” she said. He moved to stand up beside the bed and quickly ed and ped his jeans, then pushed them down his legs and stepped out of them. This was definitely his favourite part of her pregnancy so far. He covered her body with his once again, and she moved her hands in between them, wasting no time ing his shirt. She was moving it down his shoulders when he heard her gasp.

 

Hi nipped her earlobe. “I know, baby, it’s so good,” he said huskily.

 

She pushed him away. “No, Yul!” she said urgently to get his attention.

 

He immediately stiffened. “Are you okay?” he asked. The tone of her voice was unsettling.

 

She frowned and then a few seconds later, her face softened. “The baby’s kicking,” she said in wonderment.

 

“What?” he asked just as amazed.

 

She took his hands and placed it on her belly. As if on cue, the baby kicked again. He lifted his eyes to hers and smiled. “That’s our boy,” he said. He moved his hand away, and gently laid his cheek on her belly. The baby kicked once again.

 

Yoona put a hand on her husband’s head and gently ran her fingers through his hair. A few minutes passed in silence no more kicks. Yul pulled away, leaning up to give her a fierce kiss.

 

He shook his head. “That was incredible,” he said.

 

Yoona grinned. “So good that now we don’t get to have ?” she teased.

 

“Oh, hell, no! Get out of those clothes, Mrs Kwon!” he commanded.

 

Yoona giggled and then obeyed.

 

END OF FLASHBACK

 

“Yul?” she asked softly.

 

He swallowed past the lump in his throat. “Sorry,” he said, then pulled away. He ed and ped her jeans. “Put your hands on my shoulders,” he told her.

 

She did, and he moved her jeans gently down her legs. She stepped out of them, and he leaned back on his knees and looked up at her. She was standing before him in only her bra and . As he was gazing at her, all he could think about was how beautiful she was. Images of them making love flashed through his mind, and he was overcome with so much emotion, he was amazed that it didn’t knock him over. It was then that Yul realized how devastated he’d be if Yoona left him again. He realized that he was making her uncomfortable when she crossed her arms over her chest and looked away.

 

He stood up and took her face in his hands. “You’re still beautiful to me, Yoona,” he said, kissing her soundly on the mouth. He helped her get dressed and then brought her over to her vanity. She was able to apply her make up, but unable to reach behind her head to fix her ponytail. “Yul?” she asked hesitantly. He was sitting on her bed watching her get ready.

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Can you help me with my hair?” she asked.

 

“Sure,” he said, getting up and walking over to her. “Do you want me to brush it?” he asked, meeting her eyes in the mirror.

 

She shook her head. “No, I want to put it in a ponytail.”

 

Yul frowned. “I like it down,” he insisted.

 

Forty-minute later “Yul,” Yoona said, pointing out her window from the passenger’s seat. Jesse and Tiffany live that way.”

 

“I know,” he said smugly.

 

“So… we’re not going to Jesse and Tiffany’s?” she asked puzzled.

 

“Nope,” he confirmed.

 

Yoona shifted in her seat to look at him. “Are you ever going to take me where you tell me you’re going to take me again?”

 

Did I mention the kitchen table? He thought. Yul shrugged. “Maybe,” he teased, mentally berating himself for thinking of taking Yoona to bed while she was injured and hurting or… to kitchen table as the case maybe. “But misleading you has really helped my purpose today.”

 

Yoona laughed sarcastically. “Well, as long as it helps your purpose,” she said dryly.

 

A few minutes later, Yul turned down an alleyway, and put the vehicle in park. He turned to look at her. “We’re here,” he announced.

 

“Soshi’s Café?” she asked excitedly. Then reality hit and she frowned. “Yul, it’s too public,” she protested.

 

He leaned over and kissed her on the nose. “Trust me,” he said.

 

Yoona sighed and pouted. “I feel like you’ve been chastising me for the last seven days,” she said.

 

He grinned from ear to ear. “Then maybe you should start minding me,” he said before he hopped out of his side of the vehicle.

 

As they walked in, Yoona was greeted by Tiffany, Jesse, Sunny and Taeng. They said their hellos, and then Yul immediately ushered her to a table to sit down. All of the blinds were closed and front door was locked with the closed sign up.

 

Their food was all done and waiting, as Yul had timed it perfectly. Sitting in front of Yoona was her favourite meal… Soshi’s Stew Beef Base. Yoona looked around. “Where’s your mom?” she asked Jesse.

 

“Krystal had open house at school tonight,” he told her.

 

Yoona nodded, swallowing past the sudden lump that had formed in as she realized that were Yul Jr. Still here, she’d be where Mrs Jung was tonight. As if he knew what she was thinking, Yul reached over and took her hand in his, giving it a squeeze. He leaned over and kissed her on the forehead. She smiled softly up at them. Neither one noticed the look that passed between Tiffany and Sunny.

 

They finished eating, and the guys cleared the table then did the dishes. When they walked back into the main part of the café, Jesse said, “We’re going up on the roof.”

 

Tiffany and Sunny nodded enthusiastically, “Okay,” they said in unison.

 

As soon as they heard the door to the roof close, they moved in on each side of Yoona like vultures. “Okay, spill. What is going on?” Sunny demanded to know.

 

Yoona propped her chin in her hand and sighed deeply. “I think I’m in love with my husband,” she said miserably.

 

Sunny and Tiffany once again shared a knowing look. “Yoong, what is so wrong about being in love with Yul?” Sunny inquired softly.

 

Yoona sighed gloomily. “I’m going to leave when I heal,” she reminded her friends.

 

“That doesn’t mean that Yul can’t go with you,” Tiffany said.

 

Yoona looked at Tiffany sadly. “Fany-ah, if Yul and I could’ve worked, we would have worked the first time around.”

 

Sunny’s face filled with amusement. “The first? Please! You and Yul weren’t on your first try. You were on your second. You’ve gone through a significant break up before,” Sunny told Yoona.

 

“We weren’t really broken up, though,” Yoona said in protest. “And it was only a few months, not four and a half years,” she said.

 

“Four and a half years is nothing,” Tiffany said. “In the grand scheme of things, it’s nothing,” she said fiercely.

 

“Well, it’s not something to me,” Yoona said quietly. “We don’t even know each other anymore.”

 

“Of course you do,” Sunny said in disagreement. “You haven’t changed that much in four years, Yoona!”

 

Yoona sighed once again and pushed her hair behind her ears. “I can’t stand all of this emotional crap!” she complained. “I have never been like this before!”

 

Tiffany took a deep breath. “I don’t want to step on any toes,” she said cautiously, “but I have a few ideas about why you’re emotional.”

 

“I’m open to your thoughts.”

 

“You and Yul have been so busy running from your problems that you’ve never dealt with them,” she began. “And now that you’re together, all of these emotions that were just pushed down as opposed to worked through, are resurfacing.”

 

Sunny hit her on the arm. “Good observation, Fany!” she complimented her friend.

 

Tiffany grinned at Sunny then they both looked at Yoona expectantly.

 

“I know you’re right,” she said, uncomfortable with their speculation. “But that doesn’t make it any easier.”

 

“That’s always the y part,” Sunny said, resting an elbow on the table and her chin in her palm. “Identifying the problem is the easy part, but what to do with it… that’s the hard part.”

 

Tiffany nodded in agreement.

 

“So what do I do?” Yoona asked.

 

Sunny and Tiffany both shrugged. “Just don’t break his heart,” Tiffany warned. Tiffany had always assumed that things had gotten too tough for Yul, so he’d run out on Yoona, and since she’d absolutely forbidden Jesse to talk about him, she’d never learned the truth until Yoona’s accident.

 

Now she was soft towards her brother-in-law, partly because of her guilt, and partly because she saw the love in his eyes every time he looked at his wife.

 

Yoona’s eyes flew to Tiffany’s and she swallowed nervously. “I’m not going to lead him on, Fany,” she promised her friend. “I’ve warned him that I’m leaving when I’m well,” she said.