Chapter 1

MORE THAN A MEMORY

 

Kwon Yul strolled right past the security and into the ICU of Cedars-Sinal Medical Centre as if he owned the place. His ruse worked, as no one stopped him with any questions on the way in. He was stalking purposefully towards the nurse’s station, when a brunette head in a room off the hallway caught the corner of his eyes. He stopped in his tracks and turned around; walking into what he assumed was the family room with a small refrigerator and coffee pot. “Where is she Tiff?”

 

Tiffany’s head snapped up. “How the hell did you get in here?” she demanded.

 

“Where is she?” Yul thundered.

 

Tiffany reached into her pocket and pulled out her cell phone. “If you don’t leave, I’m calling security,” she told him.

 

Yul met her stare head on. “And I’ll call the press,” he said softly.

 

“And tell them what?” Tiffany shot back.

 

“Everything,” he threatened.

 

Tiffany swallowed past the lump in . “You wouldn’t do that to Yoona,” she said, and then laughed bitterly “or to yourself.”

 

“Don’t try me, Tiff. Where is my wife?” He asked again, trying to reign in his temper.

 

“Oh, you mean the one you abandoned?”

 

 “My patience is wearing very thin!” he said, his voice rising again.

 

“Yes, it’s almost as flimsy as your excuses used to be,” she threw back. Tiffany tossed her coffee stirrer into the trash can and walked out of the small room, with Yul right behind her. She turned around and Yul almost ran smack into her. “You need to prepare yourself, Yul. It’s not good.”

 

“Tiff…”

 

She shook her head and softly placed a hand on his arm. “Prepare yourself,” she warned him again, looking into his eyes, trying desperately to convey in any way she could how serious this was.

 

Tiffany could have said it a million times, but nothing could have prepared Yul for what he saw when he walked into Yoona’s hospital room.

 

“Bathroom,” was all he could manage to choke out. He followed the direction of Tiffany’s finger and ran into the tiny bathroom. He slammed the door shut behind him, but it didn’t matter. The walls were so thin that Tiffany could hear him throw up. The tears started to slowly fall from her eyes.

 

Five minutes later, he walked back into Yoona’s room, but another look at her, and he was back in the bathroom throwing up again. A few minutes later, the noises had stopped, but Yul still hadn’t come out. Tiffany went over to the door and knocked softly.

 

“Yul?” she said.

 

She opened the door, and Yul was sitting on the side of the tub in the cramped bathroom, his elbows on his knees and his head in his hands.

 

“You ok?” she asked tenderly.

 

His head snapped up. “Are you kidding? I can’t even look at my wife, Tiff.”

 

“Stop calling her that,” Tiffany said.

 

“She is my wife, Tiff,” he reminded her.

 

“Only because you wouldn’t sign the divorce papers,” she shot back.

 

Yul sighed deeply. “Do you really want to do this right now?” he asked.

 

“No,” Tiffany said, her voice cracking. “No, Yul, I don’t.” She walked over sank down onto the tub beside him. “I really need a friend right now,” She felt Yul put an arm around her shoulders and give her a reassuring squeeze. “Yoong… she’s like a sister to me. And I cannot lose her, Yul. She’s the only family I have left!”

 

“I hear you, Tiff,” Yul said softly.

 

“It’s like looking at my mom,” Tiffany admitted.

 

“Hey!” Yul scolded gently. She lifted her eyes to his, “This is not gonna end the same way, Tiff,” he promised.

 

“How do you know?” she asked.

 

“Because it can’t,” Yul said forcefully.

 

There was a time for logic, and there was a time for miracles. Yul realized in this second, that it was a time for a miracle.

 

Kwon Yul hated everything about hospitals. He hated the smells, the atmosphere, and the pitying looks from the doctors, the nurses, and even the other patients and their families. He had vowed years ago that he’d never step foot in one again. And he hadn’t, until the previous afternoon. It was now 1 a.m. in Los Angeles. Tiffany had tried and tried to get him to leave the hospital and go to a hotel to get some rest, but he refused. He wouldn’t leave Yoona’s side again. When Tiffany realized this, she left, going back to her room to get shower and some sleep. He’d been alone with Yoona for the last three hours, and he hadn’t left her side even once. He kept praying for her to open her eyes, but she hadn’t yet stirred.

 

Tiffany had told him everything that the doctors had told her. He had listened intently, but what he remembered most were the words concussion, internal bleeding, and possibly more surgeries. Her left arm as in a cast, her right leg in splint, and she had two blackened eyes. The scariest part, though, for Yul, was all the tubes coming out of Yoona’s various body parts that were hooked up to the many machines in the room. He’d gotten used to the beeping in a few hours ago’ he barely heard it anymore.

 

Just then, a nurse walked in and changed a bag on one of the IV’s that she was hooked up to. “Is she in any pain?” Yul asked.

 

The nurse smiled at him, trying to comfort him, Yul was sure. It didn’t work. “No. She can’t feel a thing. We’ve got a morphine drip going, and she’s under heavy sedation.”

 

“How is she going to be able to wake up if you’re keeping her under heavy sedation?” Yul asked.

 

“Well, we don’t want to her to wake up just yet. She had multiple surgeries today, Mr…” the nurse looked at him in question.

 

“Yul,” he supplied.

 

The nurse smiled softly and nodded. “Yul. She had multiple surgeries today, and our main concern is keeping her comfortable.”

 

Yul nodded, and swallowed past the lump in his throat. “What are chances of her…” he couldn’t finish.

 

The nurse looked at him in the eye. “It’s hard to tell,” the nurse said honestly. “The CT didn’t show any brain damage, just a slight concussion, but it’s really hard to know what that damage is until the patient wake up. If they wake up,” the nurse finished softly. “We’ve done everything we can.”

 

Yul nodded.

 

“It’s really up to Yoona now,” the nurse informed him.

 

The nurse left the room and Yul backed up the few steps to his chair and sat down. He pulled it forward until he was sitting at her bedside. He gently took her hand in his and brought it to his lips. “Did you hear that, baby? The ball is in your court.” He gave a heavy sigh. “Yoona, don’t let it end like this,” he begged. “I can’t lose you. Not like this. I know you’re not mine anymore, but you’re gonna be. Oh, God, why does it have to take things like this to make everything clear, Yoong? I won’t lose you, too. I won’t let you go like this. Fight, Yoona. Fight because you still love me.” He let go of her hand and tenderly placed his on her heart. “Somewhere down in there, I know you do. Oh, Yoong,” he said, the pain in his voice evident, “fight because I love you.”

 

Yul removed his hand from her heart and moved it to the neck of his shirt. He lifted it, and then pulled on the chain beneath. Once off, he looked at his dangling wedding ring, and then placed it in Yoona’s open palm. He closed her fingers around it and gave them a squeeze.