Strangers

A Sick Twist of Fate [FRIEND LOCKED]

 

"Everything will be okay," that's what she – Chaerin, my bestfriend kept repeating over and over and over again the night she comforted me. And she was right. After that, everything in my life went smoothly. I could not deny that it was hard at first but I got used to it.

 

 

I ran from my past thinking it will never catch up to me. Thinking that this time, I might just win… But why now? Now that I was fine and happy with the way things are… why now? Was I never really meant to win? Was I always supposed to lose?

 

 

I felt my hands being squeezed and I looked up to the person who held it. He smiled and I felt heat rush up to my cheeks, giving it a hint of red.

 

 

"This is my fiancé," his voice resounded through the secluded and dimly lit area of the whole restaurant. "Dara," He let go of my hands and I felt his arms around my shoulder. I held my hand out to the man in front of me, never taking my eyes of him as he shook it.

 

 

His stare hadn't changed.

 

 

Strong and captivating, just like the way I liked it.

 

 

I looked away only to see that our hands were still connected. He let go reluctantly. He smiled a tight lip smile.

 

 

"Why don't we take a seat," I turned my head away from the two men as I occupied one of the seats. There was an eerie silence between us but it was broken the moment a waiter asked for our orders.

 

 

"What do you want baby?" the man next to me leaned into my ears as he whispered. I smiled shyly.

 

 

"I don't know," I pondered for a moment as I looked at the menu in front of me. I sighed out loud when I didn't know which one I should get. Finally giving up on my dilemma, I turned to the man next to me and spoke. "Can you order for me instead Tabi-ah?" I asked.

 

 

"Sure baby," He kissed me on the cheeks.

 

 

He turned to the waiter and ordered. I didn't catch what he ordered for me for I was too engrossed with looking into the same of set of eyes I was looking into the morning I left just about a year ago.

 

 

"I love you."

 

 

His words echoed in my head. I felt my heart ache. I stood rigid as I watched him cry out for me. But I knew better. Those tears… didn't mean a thing. I smiled and I could feel the bitterness of everything swallow me whole.

 

 

"Bye," that was supposed to be my last words but as I turned my back away I felt his arms cage me in. He shook violently. But I wasn't gonna fall for that anymore.

 

 

You know what they say, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

 

 

I peeled his arms off me and faced him. He was a great actor; I'll give him that…

 

 

There was a flash of pain and regret in his eyes and the next thing I knew, I felt a tear roll down my eyes. I wiped it away, hoping that another one won't fall without me wanting it to.

 

 

"Don't leave me," he was begging. "I love you so much Dee,"

 

 

But I won't budge. I've been hurt so many times before by so many people… but what really got to me… was the fact that he was one of them. After all the promises, all the sacrifices, all the things we did… they were just a game to him.

 

 

I was so stupid to believe that I was important that maybe this time I won… so so stupid to think we ever had something special. I was just one of the girls he played. Just another one of his stupid collection.

 

 

"If you really love me," something was squeezing my heart. It was getting harder to breathe. I felt like I was drowning. "Let me go. Let me have whatever is left of my heart."

 

 

He closed his eyes and I walked away dragging my luggage with me and my eyes stinging as the tears I tried so hard to keep, threatened to fall.

 

 

I stopped and turned around. Our eyes met. He was watching me walk away. There was that little part of me hoping he wouldn't listen and that he'll do anything in order for him to have me back. But I knew now I made the right decision the moment I realised he was content with me walking away. Why else wouldn't he stop me?

 

 

"Oh and by the way," I said, my voice becoming colder. "The next time we see each other, please, pretend were strangers. The next time we see each other, you no longer know a Sandara Park and I know not of Kwon Jiyong."

 

 

That was the last time I saw him and I was pretty sure back then it was going to be the last. But fate is playing a funny game. It's called; let's make Dara remember the past she wants to forget so badly. And yes, fate was doing a pretty good job at it. Why else would he be sitting right in front of me?

 

 

Oh, I forgot. He was my fiancé's cousin. Sick right?

 

 

I scoffed with my whole dilemma but didn't notice I did out loud. The next thing I knew Tabi was already hovering over me, with worried eyes. "Baby? Are you okay?!" there was a sense of panic in his voice and I grinned for I found it extremely cute. I laughed out loud. His brows furrowed even more. He looked at Jiyong with an incredulous look as I clutched my stomach for it hurts from laughing.

 

 

"Baby, I'm okay." I finally said the moment I calmed down.

 

 

He sighed in contentment. "God, you should laugh all the time, you look stunning when you do," he complimented me but my brows furrowed and a pout formed on my lips. I gave him the evils. He was taken aback with the way I responded and his brows furrowed.

 

 

"What? Did I say something wrong?" He was in panic mode again. I wanted to laugh but I held my ground, pretending I was so mad.

 

 

"YAH! So do I only look beautiful to you whenever I laugh? Are you telling me that I look ugly when I'm not laughing? What? So do I have to keep laughing whenever I'm with you? YAH! I'll look like a retard if I keep on laughing when nothing isn't even funny! HUH!? YAH! Answer me!"

 

 

His eyes widened the moment I started spitting words to him and he shook his head violently with his mouth slightly open, trying to deny all my accusations.

 

 

"No baby," he touched my arm and pull me close but I turned my back to him. "I just meant-"

 

 

"Whatever," I cut him off then I scooted on my seat farther away from him. He bent his head down… looking like a lost puppy. I couldn't stay mad at him for too long. My laugh boomed through the whole place and he looked at me with watering eyes.

 

 

Awwww…

 

 

I pulled him closer and kissed him. I felt him smile then he started moving. After a few good seconds, we parted. I leaned my forehead against his as I clutched his face and smiled but something felt wrong. I let go of him, composed myself and looked at the guy emanating laser eyes towards me.

 

 

"Baby," he called out, "I'm going to the toilet." He gave me a kiss on the cheek and nodded towards the guy opposite me. Tabi left and I was left alone with him. We engaged in a small battle… for what I didn't quite know.

 

 

Strangers.

 

 

We were strangers now – just like nothing had ever happened between us.

 

 

I felt sick, like someone had just kicked me in the stomach. I wanted to run away… again.But I feel so tired from running now. I just want to be free.

 

 

I studied his face and realised that as long as he was somehow connected with me, I will and can never be free. Everything I did, I did it to forget him. I left my family, changed my name, changed my address, change my whole self just so I can forget him…

 

 

"Dara," I broke out of my trance when I heard him speak. Then there was this feeling that bugged me. I couldn't decipher what it was so I brushed it off. "That's a nice name," he was now smiling but it didn't look quite right. Like something was off.

 

 

"Thank you," I forced a smile back. "I don't believe I know your name. Ta- I mean Seunghyun never mentioned he had a cousin until we came in the restaurant…"

 

 

Strangers.

 

 

That's what we are now.

 

 

He was silent, his eyes turned black and I've never seen him so serious.

 

 

"Quit the act Dee-ah," I inwardly flinched with the way he spoke. "After everything we've been through, you are seriously going to just sit there and pretend like you don't know me!?" He was outraged and I think I saw a flash of pain in his eyes.

 

 

I scoffed. Now it was my turn to be angered.

 

 

"After everything that happened, you still have the audacity to be in front of me." A tear threatened to fall but I kept it in. "I applaud you Jiyong," I shook my head in disappointment. "I applaud you for being selfish once again…"

 

 

"Selfish," He smiled bitterly. "That I am. But you know what you are…" He looked straight at me in the eye and I noticed he was getting teary-eyed. "Sandara Park, you are coward. You're too scared of fighting for what you want, that you give up even before anything starts."

 

 

A tear dropped from his eyes and he brushed it off.

 

 

"What are you talking about?" I was appalled to say the least… I was stunned.

 

 

"You gave up on me… when you said you wouldn't," It was a whisper but I heard it loud and clear. I was flushed with fiery rage. I stood up and looked at him. My walls had crumbled.

 

 

"When I said I wouldn't," I stated my voice eerily calm. "So I was wrong…" I nodded my head, as if I understood where he was coming from. "So you mean to say, it was right for you to cheat on me – not once but twice when you promised me you wouldn't…" I felt the tears come out. I sat back down as I broke down in front of him, my head resting in the palm of my hands.

 

 

"Jiyong," I called out as I looked at him. "Has it ever considered you to think about someone else, rather than yourself?" I got noting from him as he just looked at me, he was crying too. I looked away as my head dropped back down.

 

 

I stiffened when I heard someone speak.

 

 

"What's going on?" I looked up to meet Tabi's worried eyes. He kept looking back from me to Jiyong. I said nothing and looked away, not able to tell him anything. He looked at Jiyong but Jiyong just got up and walked away, leaving Tabi looking at his figure.

 

 

I heard him sigh as he pulled me up and hugged me. Just what I needed.

 

 


 

Every chapter is in someone else's POV...

This one is obviously Dara's.