-Seven-

Days with You

(seven)

 


 

“A-Annyeoung.” I said as I stepped out on to the rooftop.

 

“Oh! Annyeoung Jin Hee!” Donghae responded happily. “I didn’t see you for two whole days!”

 

“Yeah… well,” I laughed nervously. “You were in the hospital.”

 

His face darkened just a bit. Just a small bit. “Yeah, but I’m fine now!” and he grinned. That grin which I loved so much.

 

“So, you busy?” he asked, peering back into his telescope. I sat next to him with a notepad and a pen. “Yup. I am busy; we’ve got a lot of work to do. And today was the last day of school. Winter break now, you know?”

 

“Ah… right. So whatcha gonna do?” he looked into my notebook. It was full of doodles, wordings, designs, patterns and phrases.

 

“Um well, see this phrase? We’re going to align the lights across the hill in that way, so at midnight, it’ll light up…”

 

He nodded at everything I said and finally told me it was great.

 

And then for a while, we sat in total silence, until he broke it.

 

“You know… two days not being able to see the stars… it was hell.” he said softly, gazing at the star filled sky.

 

I didn’t say anything. I knew why it had been hell.

 

Then, because of my stupidity, things got out of hand.

 

“Donghae… why do you still love her?” I asked nervously.

 

He was quiet. He merely ‘froze’ while looking into the telescope. He was silent. I guess I didn't have to explain how I knew.

 

“Donghae, why? She doesn’t love you!” I said, my voice going higher. He still said nothing.

 

Finally he sighed and said, “A promise is a promise. I said I’d find the star for her.” he leaned back.

 

“Why?? Even now, after all this time?! Donghae, she didn't even contact you once! What is the point?!” I stood up. I was angry, mad. What was the point in loving someone, who’d totally forgotten about you?

He stayed quiet and calm, still. He glanced at me for a second, and then continued to gaze up at the stars. His breath came out in white, smoky puffs.

 

“Jin Hee-ah… there’s something about love… that you haven’t learnt.”

 

That was it. My temper had reached its limit.

 

“DONGHAE YOU'RE STILL PRETENDING SHE LOVES YOU!!”

 

And then, because I was too careless…

 

CRASH

 

The telescope shattered to pieces.

 


 

I didn’t see or talk to Donghae after that for about three days.

 

But one day I heard my dad talk to my mom.

 

“His telescope broke, and since that he’s been out of it. Totally blank and lost looking. I guess he loved that telescope so much.”

 

And my heart throbbed with guilt.

 


 

The next day, I walked to the nearby equipment shop. I didn’t see anyone I knew on the way… and was I glad.

 

I went in, and bought it.

 


 

Apart from that, later that evening, I did something which I thought I’d never do. But seeing him smile was more than enough for me. I didn’t care if his heart didn’t belong to me.

 


 

“Annyeoung Donghae!” I skipped into his room holding the huge parcel with some difficulty. He was just sitting on the edge of his bed, looking lost, just like my dad said, staring out the window. When he heard my more than cheerful voice, he looked around startled.

 

“Look, I got you a present.” and I laid the parcel near him.

 

“What is this?” he asked, surprised. I could see dark rings around his eyes.

 

“Just open it!” I urged him and he pulled the strings off.

 

“I know it’s early, but… Happy Christmas Donghae!” I said and clapped when I saw his eyes widen with utter disbelief on seeing the new, shiny, telescope.

 

“You… You bought this?” he asked.

 

“Nah,” I shook my head. “My aunt gave it to me as a present.” and I grinned. “She knows dad is the head of this place, so she thinks I have my heart into astronomy. But I know you love it more”.

 

Did I look convincing enough?

 

He traced his fingers along the sides and muttered something, still in total shock.

 

“Come on! Test it outside Donghae!” and I tugged on his sleeve and he stood up, carrying the telescope ever so carefully.

 

Once outside, he was laughing in happiness and saying stuff about how sturdy it was and how it had the best clarity he’d ever seen.

 

That smile… and laugh… was more than enough for me.

 

“Donghae… there was this… outside your door.” I said softly and handed him a letter.

 

“What letter is th-?!” his eyes nearly popped out of his sockets. A slow and small disbelieving, but happy smile grew on his face. My heart throbbed yet again.

 

A letter in his girlfriend’s handwriting. Addressed to him. Saying that she was still waiting and thinking of him but couldn’t contact him properly. Saying she still loved and missed him.

 

The letter I…

 

... Made up.

 


 

Author's Note

(Hey guys. Sorry is the story is getting a bit...weird and sad and all that stuff.

Okay guys 'night. it's late here.

And i'm advertising without any embarrassment. Please do read:

781 Miles Away )