-Six-

Days with You

(six)

 

 


 

This was another night I would never forget. Even now, it’s still as clear in my mind as the reflected moon would be in a calm lake.

 


 

The next night, I was sitting with him there on the rooftop. I was fidgeting with a few lights and cards. I was figuring out how to design the hillside with illuminations. Donghae was reading something and everything was quiet between us.

 

I was constantly flustering, on the inside. When I realized I was in love with him, I suddenly became all too conscious and everything. Too much aware of everything.

 

“Woah, interesting.” he suddenly voiced out. I peered into the book on stars he was reading, and understood nothing. So I didn’t bother asking him what was interesting.

 

Maybe about 30 minutes passed.

 

He suddenly collapsed on the floor, clutching his chest.

 

“Donghae!!” I screamed and knelt down near him and lightly shook his shoulder. He winced and his face clearly showed signs of horrendous pain. I panicked.

 

Hearing my cries and wails, my dad and other staff came rushing upstairs. They apparently, seemed to know what was wrong. An ambulance was called, and Donghae was taken away on a stretch. I wasn’t allowed to go.

 


 

About half an hour later, when I was sitting outside Donghae’s room, wringing my hands in anxiety, my dad came up and quietly said, “Jin Hee-ah, help me pack a few things for Donghae. He’s being admitted into the hospital.”

 

Silently, I followed him into Donghae’s room. It was the first time I was going to be in there. I’d never seen it before.

 

A neat room, what attracted me most was the simplicity. For a guy who’d come from Seoul, there was hardly anything to show that he’d lived in the city. My dad busied himself by walking into his bedroom and opening his wardrobe to get a few clothes. I merely followed him.

 

“Get that bag, over there, in the corner.” I did as he told. I opened up the zipper. I was almost going to ask him what was wrong with Donghae when a small photo frame on his bedside table caught my eye.

 

Leaving the bag open for my dad to put clothes in, I walked towards the picture and lifted it up. A girl. A really pretty girl, smiling happily, her hand raised in a greeting gesture. A hair was brown and silky and the sunlight was shining down on her. Some park in Seoul.

 

“Appa…” I croaked, my voice a little hoarse. My dad looked up and saw me staring at the picture.

 

“Ah,” before I could ask, he answered. “That was Donghae’s girlfriend. They were in a long distance relationship in Seoul. She’s a tourist guide, and she got a job in Jeju. They decided to separate, but she said she’d come back soon for him. I guess he really loved her, but I don’t think she did. She hardly ever contacted him… maybe once? Poor guy, he really loves her, even now.” my dad shook his head sadly.

 

“Nae, Jin Hee-ah, get his toothbrush and stuff will you? It’s in the drawer.” he said, busy with folding a few of Donghae’s pajamas. I was a bit distraught, you can say. It’s not that I didn’t expect him to be a single guy… just…

 

I did as my dad asked. I opened the drawer and pulled out toothbrush, shaving cream and some other things. Half way, something else caught my eye.

 

A letter, written in a slightly scrawly, slanting handwriting. The front said “To Donghae”. Without my dad seeing, I opened it and pulled out the paper inside. It seemed pretty old. Maybe a year and half?

 


 

“Annyeoung Donghae-ah. How are you? I miss you a lot. I know it’s been a while Donghae... but don’t think that I’ve forgotten about you. Even though we’re far away, I still think of you every night. I can’t wait to get back to Seoul. This place is beautiful, but work is hectic. I’d like to write more, but I’ve got to go, Arasso? Mianhae, Donghae. I’ll write more to you. Remember the promise you made me right? I’ll be waiting for that star.

Saranghae, Chu .

 

Ryu Songhwa”

09.09.2010

 


 

Tears stung my eyes once again. He loved her so much, but except for this, one not very convincing letter, she hadn’t contacted him at all.

 

So this was why, he wanted to find a star so much. And he was sick now, on top of that. Why? He was so faithful to her, and she didn’t even care? He deserved better. And I didn’t mean me.

 

“One more thing, Jin Hee,” my dad voiced, standing up straight. He looked serious. I didn’t know what was coming. I didn’t know, that what he said next, would just send my world spinning.

 

“I think you should know, that the reason why Donghae is in the hospital..."

 

"… His cancer relapsed.”

 


 

Author's Note

(So. There you go.  It's going to take a turn you won't expect.

Yeah, it's sad. But that's how this story is going to go. I promise you, it won't be a tragedy.

Why I won't call this a tragedy, you'll get to know at the end of the story.

Anyways, i hope you look forward to more updates from me.

and PS: when i said in the previous chapter, that I wasn't going to update anymore tonight?

I lied - -'

Figures.)