Chapter 9 - Number Two

3 Gifts to Remember

 

I thanked Yoona and her grandmother and set off to find the silver roses. I had a scroll of music rolled up in my bag, tucked along with the shattered heart rock. Yoona was right. If the song didn’t come from me, who else could it have come from? I patted my guitar, and thanked the music gods for my flash of inspiration last night.

            I set off down the road and turned the corner, walking deeper into the suburban areas. Silver roses were rare but I had heard rumors that they grew along the wild banks of Pusan. I was miles away from the heart of that city. I had money with me, enough to get me a bus ride but I wanted to walk as much as I could.

            Coral, wait for me. I trotted down the dust beaten road and came upon a small crowd of small children. I smiled; this was truly the rural areas of Korea. We rarely see children running around wild in the city. As I neared, I realized that they were enthralled by an old lady. She was motioning with her hands and smiling.

            “Halmoni,” one of the kids quipped with an adorable squeaky voice, “can you sing us the song of the sad lady?”

            I stalled. A song of a sad lady. Perhaps she was sad because of love. Perhaps I would be wasting my time. But something made me stop. The elderly woman glanced up at me and nodded at an empty space on the outside of her circle and I sat down, placing my bags to the side. The little girl next to me tilted her head back and moved over a bit to give me room.

            “Shh,” she admonished when my sneakers made a noise against the rocks. Then, smiling, she leaned her head against my arm.

“The sad lady smiled out at sea

‘Wouldn’t it be easier to just finish me?’

Her thoughts were awry

And the pain made her cry.

She held onto the rocks,

Staring out at the docks.

Her very heart seems to stop

As she realizes how far it is from the top

The sad lady smiled out at sea

And the pain she suffered through her daddy

All the beatings and the screaming

She stared at the sky and swore she saw her mother beaming

Saying, join me daughter, join me

And the sad lady threw herself at the sea.”

            I listened to the song as it went on and described how she threw herself into the sea because she no longer wanted to deal with her abusive father. This was a ballad, a ballad not about romantic love. I furiously scribbled down the lyrics and tried to copy the melody.

            The other kids watched me curiously and the woman spoke. “Young man? Is there something particularly special about my song that you admire it so much you are eager to copy down its lyrics?”

            I stood up hastily and bowed. “Neh, halmoni. I have been searching for a ballad without love in it and it took me a long time to realize that I have found one.”

            She smiled gently. “But, my dear, this is about love.”

            I shook my head. “I meant romantic love. This girl who I’m finding the song for wanted me to prove to her that love doesn’t consume everything, that love is not what the entire world is concerned about. And I have to find a ballad to prove it.”

            Her eyes squinted in confusion. “Love is everywhere. I don’t know what hurt she must have suffered to hate this beautiful emotion so much. But I wish you luck. I hope you are able to change her mind, my son. Bring this song to her. Show her that in the end, you would be worth it.”

            I blushed, hating that she could see right through me. I nodded and started to pack to find a sleeping spot. The little girl tugged on my sleeve. “Oppa, want to stay with me tonight? I’m sure my mother wouldn’t mind.”

            I glanced down at her and she pouted. “Pretty please oppa? I get lonely at home when umma starts drinking the nasty water. She just cries in her room.”

            So her mother was an alcoholic. Remembering Coral and her hatred for them, I nodded. “I’ll come home with you tonight. But what will you do when I’m leaving tomorrow?”

            She shrugged. “I’ve lived like this for two years oppa. Minjae will be fine.” She smiled and I saw the gaps in where new teeth were growing. Her pigtails shook as she skipped ahead, jumping down the road, only turning back every once in a while to see if I were following.

            I felt the tug of the silver roses but knew that Coral would thank me first for doing this. Laughing, I held my guitar in my hand and chased after her. This brave little girl who had to deal with her mother all alone.

 

Thank you to aznawzmao and summersea-pearl for your support. You guys are amazing ♥

This story is almost finished. A few chapters left. But I'm going to try to let it end with a punch.