Chapter 11 - Memories

3 Gifts to Remember

 

“Are you going to leave her here?” Yoona asked me when we were out on the balcony. I stared out ahead and didn’t answer. Minjae had immediately become close with Yoona and her grandmother and was currently having fun taking a very loud bath.

            I concentrated on the starry night in front of us and shrugged. “I can’t exactly take it with me.”

            Yoona rolled her eyes and a hint of exasperation entered her tone. “You can’t possibly still be on that stupid for mission for the girl.”

            I shifted away from her, one hundred percent offended now. “I don’t know what you mean by that but I want you to take it back.”

            She shook her head. “No. You came such a long way just for this one girl. From what you tell us, she probably doesn’t even appreciate whatever it is you’ve done for her anyway.” She sighed. “Donghae, I think you’re going on a wild goose chase for a girl who may never repay your feelings. How is she doing anyway? Have you asked home?”

            I shrugged. I didn’t feel obligated to tell her anything. Yoona gave me another look before turning to walk in. “Go. Go on your silly journey. See what you eventually get out of it. I’ll take care of Minjae and don’t come back unless you plan on keeping her either. She’s just a kid.”

            I stayed outside and inhaled the air. Nostalgia hit me and I closed my eyes.

            “Oppa,” Coral was teasing me again. She knew I hated it whenever she called me that and yet she always did it. “I can’t sleep. Want to go out to the balcony and meet me there?”

            I agreed and hung up my phone. It wasn’t hard to climb the tree and enter her balcony but the main problem was to do it stealthily. Her parents were still up as was evident by the bright yellow light downstairs. Coral had already come out onto the balcony and she giggled when she saw me.

            I ran from a distance and launched myself against the tree. My legs and arms hugged the thick trunk and I hoisted myself up as gracefully as I could, knowing that she was watching. I managed to get to the higher branches and whispered for her to go away. I leapt a bit and she let out a tiny squeal and I wrapped my arms around the rails of the balcony. I let my legs hug the ledge and lifted myself and swung over the balcony.

            “Hello there, darling.” I bowed, panting with the exertion.

            She giggled into her palm. “Is this what you go through every time you sneak up?”

            I nodded. “Yeah. Now you should appreciate my presence more. Is something wrong?”

            She shrugged. “I guess I’ve just been thinking. Do you think HyunSoo loves me?”

            I sighed. Him again. Ever since they started going out, she hasn’t stopped talking about him. It was always HyunSoo this, HyunSoo that. “Park Coral, you are one of the most amazing girls I know. Of course he would love you. What makes you question this?”

            She was quiet and I knew. “Did he hurt you again? Where is it this time?” All thoughts of joking were put aside and I was officially worried. I couldn’t have her hurt. “Show me.”

            She shook her head. “No, he didn’t hurt me.”

            I snorted. “Don’t lie to me. Where is it?” I grabbed her wrist and she winced. I dropped her hand and gently peeled away the thin sleeve of her sweater and saw a perfect handprint shaped ring of bruises around her wrist. My heart broke.

            “Coral, why do you always let him do this to you?”

            “He must love me,” she continued stubbornly. “He only got mad because I was talking too much with Sungmin-oppa. He told me to stay away from the other guys and he told me that all they wanted from me was to get in my pants. He was caring about me and I still disobeyed. He has every right to get mad.” She sounded like a brain-washed North Korean.

            I groaned. “You can’t think like that. You really can’t. If he cared about you, he wouldn’t try to control who you talk to.”

            “But he told me why I shouldn’t talk to them.”

            “That’s complete bull. He’s just feeding you bull and he’s still hurting you.” I examined her cheek carefully and she turned her head down, trying to let her bangs cover her face. I tilted her face up and gently kissed the discolored bruise.

            “You’re beautiful. You shouldn’t let him mar you like this.”

            Coral pulled away. “Donghae, stop this. You should just go home. I shouldn’t have bothered you. I’m sorry. I hope you will forgive me for taking your time. I’m so sorry. I really should get some sleep and so should you.”

            I mentally kicked myself for kissing her. She hated contact. I led her into her room and tucked her in. “Good night.” She watched me jump off the balcony and when I landed, I only had one thought in mind: I would keep HyunSoo away from her if it was the last thing I did.

            “Oppa?” I shook my head and saw Minjae bound out towards me. “Oppa, come sleep now. Tomorrow, Yoona-unni says you’ll be travelling. Get some sleep and come back soon for Minjae okay?” she smiled and her dimple showed.

            I knelt down and kissed her forehead. “Arrasso. Let’s get you to sleep too okay?” I swung her in my arms and passed a frowning Yoona.