Epilogue

3 Gifts to Remember

 

Afterwards, it wasn’t so difficult to move on. I had Minjae and she was enough. Watching her grow up lightened my day and my parents fell in love with her. I didn’t know whether I saw her as a child or a sister. It didn’t matter. Her happiness soon became my happiness and she was always happy.

            Minjae is the ultimate blessing. She allowed me to see the light of day and when I was down, she sensed this and would put in her efforts to see me smile again. I was grateful for that. Along with her, she brought Yoona as well.

            Yoona is a blessing in disguise. She’s still a bit thorny and sarcastic as anything but the two of us have formed a bond. I might even go out on a limb and say that I like her, I might even love her.

            Despite her harsh words sometimes, she meant well. She took care of me and helped me to adjust. She understood that my heart was still lingering on Coral but after that visit, I knew I was done. I knew that it didn’t matter. Coral was in the past.

            I spent my days working on my music, trying to get into the top music program at the universities. I succeeded only because I had the support of everyone in my family. It wasn’t hard for me to fall into lapses of depression at times but they were over quickly.

            As for HyunSoo, he should be thankful I never saw him again. I would have fought and killed him. If not for revenge, but for justice. Rumor had it that he joined the army and was going through discipline and I decided, if he died in battle, then so be it.

            The only thing I have yet to do was visit Coral. It’s been six months since I’ve been back. I’ve tucked the scroll away somewhere in the back of my closet and the roses have wilted. The stone is buried under all the paper in my desk. I didn’t have the courage to see her yet.

            One night, Yoona and I were walking. “Donghae, do you still think about her? Do you still love her?”

            The way she asked was different. Before it was purely informational, but I’ve grown up. I’m more observant now. I could hear in her voice a bit of hope that was suppressed and I turned to hide a smile. In these months, she’s been nothing but a loyal companion and I was grateful. It was time for me to put her out of her misery.

            I looked at her. She is truly beautiful. She was wild like Coral was but where Coral had a delicate neediness, Yoona was strong. She had a heart of iron and a will of steel. But now, she looked almost vulnerable. Her eyes were shining with unshed hope and trembled as she waited.

            “I don’t think I ever truly loved her. I was obsessed with her. She was an intoxication. I’ve never had anyone else growing up so I thought she was all I need. But the feeling and the torment she produced in me isn’t love. So no, I don’t love her. I never did. Do I think about her? Yes, I do.”

            She was silent and I knew I was cruel. I was withholding one more bit of information from her and I took a deep breath. “Yoona, do you love me? Because all this time you’ve been by my side and I realized. This is what love is. To have you there for me and for me to be able to lean on you. Do you think you can love me?”

            She blinked back surprised tears and looked away. But I sensed the joy, the happiness and I nudged her playfully. “Come on, Yoona. Answer me.”

            She batted my arm away. “I think I am.” I smiled.

            “Let’s go visit Coral. I have some things for her.”

            And we did. We found the stone and the parchment and went back to pick a bigger bouquet of silver roses and she took me to the cemetery. Coral was placed in the shade, by the sea. It was fitting considering how she always loved the water.

            The day was quiet. I carefully placed the stone in a jar and put the flowers in a vase. I had the parchment laminated and it was put in a plaque, propped against her tombstone.

            “Hey, Coral. Thanks for your advice that day. I listened to you and I think I’ve truly found love. I hope you find that perfect boy wherever he is, be he on earth waiting for you or in Heaven. Maybe you two are already dancing together. I don’t know. Thank you for giving me Minjae and Yoona and reminding me that love does in fact still exist. I have to go now. But I’ll catch you later okay? I’ll race you.”

            I took Yoona’s hand and we ran down the hills to where my car was waiting. Right before reaching bottom, I stopped and kissed Yoona, sensing her surprise. The sky finally opened up and the sun shone. And I heard a laughing tilt and the wind whispered, “Donghae, you romantic. I beat you anyway. Shouldn’t have stopped for that kiss should you?”

            I smiled against her lips and we stood there, and I finally understood.

 

Woohoo! The story's finally over. It's so sad to say goodbye to this actually. I've grown to like writing in this style.