Chapter 10 - New Companion

3 Gifts to Remember

 

Minjae held my hand as we neared her house. Her happy skips have slowed and I smelled a pungent stench from the house. It was a nasty combination of soju and urine. My nose wrinkled and she looked up at me fearfully.

            “Oppa, Minjae is sorry for taking you to such a bad place.” Her large eyes filled with tears.

            I knelt down next to her and stared at her eye level. “Don’t speak in the third tense. Use the I proudly. Be yourself. And don’t worry. I’ve seen worse. How long have you been living like this?”

            She shrugged. “Daddy left her and she started drinking. I had to basically suffer this all my life. But I can’t wait to go to school and leave and get someone to take care of her. I can’t keep staying here. Ahjumma said so.” I knew the ahjumma she was talking about referred to the old lady who sang the song to me.

            I smiled and stood up. I picked her up in my arms and braced myself for the squalor that I knew lay beyond. We walked into the room and I immediately winced at the smell. The room was darkly lit and there seemed to be spills everywhere. I skirted to avoid a mouse running across the room. There was a sluggish moan and I knew that her mother must be drunk again.

            “Who is it? Minjae, is that you?” the voice croaked.

            “Neh, umma. I brought an oppa with me.”

            The mother cackled. “Look at you. You’re so young and you’re already learning to yourself out. I hope he’s attractive. Goodness knows, we need more money in this house. I guess you can always take up my spot.”

            I bristled with anger. “Actually, I’m here to help Minjae. This is disgusting. What type of a mother are you? You cannot possibly advocate that a child live in this space can you?”

            The lights were and a beautiful woman swayed in front of me. Her hair was stringy and her skin was a pale yellow pallor. There were dark circles under her eyes. But even then, she was obviously attractive. She shrugged. “You’re a do-gooder? Why don’t you just take the girl. I don’t need her in my life.”

            Minjae shuddered and her chin wobbled as tears threatened to fall down her face. Her cheeks were already wet and she swung her head so her hair could cover her face. I remembered Coral then. She always wanted to help abused children. I glared at the nonchalant woman in front of me and took Minjae’s hand.

            “Come, let’s get your stuff. Oppa is going to take you out of here.”

            I knew that I could be accused of not thinking straight. I couldn’t possibly take care of a little girl on my own. I still had a mission to complete. But I stared at her and how she was so upset and knew that I was doing the right thing.

            I helped to gather her things and hugged her to me. I picked her up and she clutched my neck tightly. “Oppa, I’m going to miss umma.” She was crying so hard.

            I kissed her forehead. “It’s okay sweetheart. Oppa will take good care of you.” I was still in this heroic mentality until I reached the roads and finally realized the consequences of my actions. Would she be fit to travel with me? I didn’t have time to waste. I couldn’t afford to be slowed down by a little girl. I needed to make sure that she had the best possible life. I couldn’t drag her around with me halfway across the country.

            But I couldn’t abandon her. I owed it to her to give her back a piece of her life. I was determined. I thought more and more and decided, I knew what to do.

            “Minjae, oppa has places to go and I can’t take you.”

            Tears once more filled her eyes. “B-but, you can’t leave me!”

            I hugged her. “No, I’m going to be leaving you with an amazing unni. She lives very close by and you’ll love her grandmother as well. They’ll love you the right way. Minjae, oppa will be back to visit you when he’s done okay?”

            She clutched my hand. I felt my heart tear into tiny pieces. I didn’t want to leave her. But Coral was waiting. I retraced my steps into the past village and went through the woods once more. It was getting late and I knew I would have to stay at Yoona’s one more night.

            When we reached the clearing, I knocked on the door. Yoona opened it and her eyes widened in shock. “Why are you back?”

            “Yoona, this is Minjae. I met her in the other village. Her mother is an alcoholic and I just needed to take her with me. Can you please take care of her until I come back?”

 

            Yoona didn’t even think. She squatted down next to Minjae and spoke to her. “Minjae’s so pretty! Come inside. I’m sure you’re hungry. I’m Yoona-unni. We’re just having dumplings. Do you like dumplings?”

            Minjae smiled a little, showing her dimples. Yoona stood and looked at me. “Stay the night?”

            I nodded and we walked in together. 

 

AP US tomorrow and I'm not even studying. Oh dears.

I apologize for not updating constantly. I really am. This story may end soon in a couple more chapters. 

I hope you will all stay with me and I thank you all for your continuous support. ♥

Monkey Emoticons