Chapter 12 - Field of Fireflies

3 Gifts to Remember

 

The next morning, I bid Yoona and her grandmother goodbye. Minjae was crying and I knelt down to kiss her. “Oppa will be back. Right now, be good to Yoona-unni okay?”

            Her bottom lip quivered and she threw her small arms around my neck. “B-but you were just with Minjae for one day. What if oppa forgets about Minjae?” she was sobbing, wetting my shirt and I tried to control my own tears.

            “I won’t. I promise. I’ll even bring back a teddy bear for you okay? What do you want? A panda bear or a polar bear?”

            She dropped her arms and stared at me hopefully, with large shining eyes. “Really? Can Minjae have a panda bear please?” She asked it tentatively, as if at any moment I would receded the offer.

            I kissed her one more time and stood up. “Thank you for taking care of her. I will be forever in your debt.”

            Yoona kept silent, only glowering slightly but her grandmother nodded graciously. “I wish you luck, my dear. But remember not to lose sight of yourself. Girls are worth a lot, but not everything.”

            I hoisted my book bag over my shoulder and set off for the last installment. I had done some research and discovered that silver roses were a rarity but they could be found in Pusan. It wasn’t far from here. Only a day’s walk. I had to reach the shores first though.

            I went to the beach side and decided to walk along the shore until I reached the next city. I wandered and tried to think of what Yoona had said.

            Ever since I’d met her, her first basis was to call me a fool. She thinks that I was placing too much at stake. For some irrational reason, she hated Coral and hated that I still believed in her. And I understood. At times, I wondered just why I tried so much.

            Coral was always oblivious to my feelings. When I made it clear, she became scared and pushed me away. But our bond was deep enough that she couldn’t seem to give me up. She knew she had to keep me as a friend but made it clear that she wanted nothing to do with me.

            I thought I had a chance senior year, but then he came into the picture. I hated him on the spot. I could tell that he would be controlling but I never predicted that he would hurt her. I could tell he would be the jealous type but I always assumed it would be all verbal yelling and nothing else.

            The bruises began to show up and at first, she waved them away, only saying that they were injuries. She was accident prone. But then the bruises took the shape of fingers and the slaps took on ugly purple marks. Everyone turned a blind eye but I knew the truth.

            During times of weaknesses, she would cry and ask why she loved him so much. She hated being so vulnerable, and always vowed to stop her emotions. But it didn’t work. The next day, no matter how much I had her convinced, she would melt at his one tiny gesture.

            I ground my feet into the sand and tried to keep from letting the rage consume me. I traveled into the night and stopped by a small gift shop along the way. I found a stuffed panda and had it wrapped up neatly for her.

            At night, I camped on a field of flowers, and inhaled the fresh natural scent. I had two major concerns right now. I had to make sure I found the objects and bring it back to her in time. I also had to figure out what I have to do about Minjae.

            I knew Coral wouldn’t mind having to take care of her. I knew that my parents would think I’m insane but anything to make me happy, they would allow it. Minjae could be easily adopted into the family.

            The only issue now was what to do about Coral. I wished now that I had brought a phone rather than isolated myself so completely from my past. I needed to know how she was doing. It was weird because I haven’t been feeling any connection from her in a while. Normally, we were so close I was able to tell how she was feeling.

            A gleaming light in the distance caught my attention and I watched as it flew closer. Another streak of light shot through and soon the air around me was filled with a bright yellow light. I smiled. Firefly season had come at last.

            I sat on my blanket and watched as the fireflies performed their own exquisite dance. They twisted around me and interweaved among one another before settling on flowers. I crept closer to see them and felt a surge of nostalgia.

            The first time I truly realized the extent of my feelings for her, we were outside. We were both fourteen and bored with the summer. Knowing that our parents wouldn’t mind, we had grabbed a tent and blankets and walked to a nearby field for a sleepover.

            At night, we stayed up talking and playing cards. But once night truly fell, we fell silent as well. The air was suddenly filled with light and she clutched my arm. “Don’t move.”

            Her lips were so close to my ear and I nearly jumped. I saw her hands creep slowly across my chest and up to my shoulder and then I dared to venture a peek. A firefly had landed on my shoulder and it was murmuring to me. Its wings rubbed together to make a humming sound.

            She tried to cup her hands around the firefly but it flew away and she landed on my chest. “Oof, sorry.” She blushed and scrambled up.

            We both avoided each others’ gazes but by then I realized that I couldn’t forget the imprint of her hand on my chest. It burned from where she touched it and I stared at her lips. They were a bit red from where she bit them and they moved when she spoke.

            “I always wanted a jar of fireflies to keep by my bedside. They would make me feel protected.”

            The next night, I snuck out again and brought a net and jar with me. I caught a total of five fireflies and stuck them in a jar. I climbed up her balcony and placed the glowing jar on her bedside. She shifted in her sleep and tilted her face towards the light.

            I was nervous but I kissed her forehead and slipped out before she would know. It was then that I knew I had fallen impossibly in love with her. 

 

The boys are back.

y Free and Single is amazing. Such a refreshing change.

I want to thank aznawzmao. YOU are the reason why I had the heart to keep writing this story back when it received no reviews. I'm glad to have influenced you even though I think it's 100% all you ♥ Check our her story: EXONE