Spying on Science

Tired of Waiting

 

"Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday, Changmin! Happy Birthday to you!" Soojung heard a crowd sing as she walked towards her locker. When she heard that name, she was surprised and dropped her books on the ground. As the crowd heard the loud sound of books, they all turned around and only one student got off his seat. "Hey, do you need help with carrying these books?" Kyuhyun asked Soojung and smiled. Kyuhyun was in Changmin's grade but he was in Soojung's English class.

"It's okay, I'm going to put them in my locker here anyway", Soojung said and left after picking up all her books. 

After putting her books into her locker, she walked back and passed the seniors once again.

"Soojung! Do you want to join us? We have too much food!"

"Yeah! Help us eat, we have heaps".

"Do you like chocolate cake?"

"You can come eat but no touching my chicken young lady!"

"Come eat with us sunbaes!"

Everyone at the table invited Soojung to join them except for Changmin. He just sat there quietly and ate his food. 

"No thank you, sunbaes", Soojung replied and bowed her head to them. 

"Come on, just take some for your friends too", Yunho insisted. Soojung thought Eunchae wouldn't refuse so she accepted for her friend. Soojung sat down next to Kyuhyun who was opposite to Changmin. She ate a little silently as the seniors took food for her to take to her friends. She then looked up and saw that all eyes were on her. "Soojung, you know that its Changmin's birthday today right? Aren't you going to wish him a happy birthday?" Jonghyun who was sitting next to her on the other side, asked. Soojung almost choked on a piece of cracker she was eating. 

"It's okay, she already said Happy Birthday to me in the morning", Changmin informed them and took a glance at Soojung.

"Oh, you know his birthday? Are you guys friends?" Kyuhyun questioned the two.

"Aniyo, I just heard from... some girls... when I was... walking to school!", Soojung managed to say. 

"Oh, I thought maybe you knew each other. I know most of the students in your grade", Kyuhyun said. Changmin and Soojung's eyes met again. 

 

"Hey girls, I've got some food!" Soojung exclaimed while running to her friends.

"Nice, where did you get them from?" Eunsung asked, eyes wide open.

"Oooh, cake. Looks yummy but it'll take me forever to finish so I'll just have a little", Minjung said.

"There's quite a a lot. Minjung-ah, give some to your boooooooyfriend and his friends", Soojung said and the other girls made oooh sounds.

"Yah! Who said we're going out already? We're just friends!" Minjung defended herself.

"Yeah, yeah, totes. Anyway, Eunchae's crush offered me to take these to you guys", Soojung told her friends.

"Omo, jinja? Gimme some!" Eunchae hissed and took a cookie.

 

"Students, you're receiving your first Science assignment of the year right now. Please take a sheet and hand it to the person next to you", Mr. Choi, the strict Science teacher announced to the class. Soojung did not like this teacher at all and she knew he didn't like her too. Omo, it's group work! Yes! Wait.. it's Mr. Choi, he hates me. I know he won't allow us to choose our own partners. Eugh, what a loser. Soojung thought and kept reading the criteria for the task.

"You are to work with your lab partner, the person who sits net to you. So that's Eunsung and Minjung, Soojung and Dongwoon, Donghae and Seungmi, you get the idea", Mr. Choi declared and told them to plan the assignment.

"Hey you, we have to start. I want to get it over and done with", Dongwoon said to Soojung who was lying her head down on the table.

"Wae? Wae do I have to work with YOU?" Soojung asked and glared at him. 

"Yah! Do you think I want to work with you? You're my lab partner, I don't have a choice", he replied with a grumpy tone and face.

"AHAHAHAH, you look like a grumpy old man", Soojung chimed and squeezed his cheeks.

"Yah! Get you're fingers off my face!" Dongwoon growled.

"Okay, okay. Calm down, Charlie Brown", Soojung said and continued, "Let's start then".

 

"Okay, now all we have to do is do the actual experiment, record it and we're done right? It's not that bad", Dongwoon said and smiled. "When can I come over? Since, I want to finish it quickly, tomorrow?" 

"Neh, come at 2PM. I have nothing to do on Saturdays anyway", Soojung said and they went their separate ways.

 

"Hey guys, everyone's applying for part-time jobs. Does anyone here want to too?" Eunchae asked her group of friends.

"I think I'm going to apply for the cute boutique near my house on weekends, I heard they need workers!" Eunsung cheered.

"Wait.. Isn't that next to the sports shop where Yoseob works at? You're going to see him more often, what's going on between you two?" Eunchae questioned her friend who was flushed and continued, "I'm going to work at my uncle's gift shop. Yes, more money!"

Minjung smiled shyly and said, "Guys, I'm going to work at Taingy cafe where Kikwang works at. They need workers and the pay is pretty good".

"Ooooh, are you sure those are the only reasons why you're working there?" Soojung said and giggled at her cute friend.

"Yes, they let me do homework there too so I'm just getting money for getting some orders and doing my work!" Minjung defended herself and continued, "What about you Soojung? Everybody is getting a job, are you?" 

Soojung stood there thinking for a while and then opened to answer, "Uhh.. Should I? I'm not that bothered but I'll see. I'll apply for something fun or easy to do".

 

"Eomma, my classmate is coming over tomorrow so I will be at home for the whole day", Soojung informed her mother.

"Okay, I have plans so I won't be home for almost the whole day. I'll make sure to cook some food for you and your friend", Mrs Park said, "Is it a girl or boy?"

"A boy.. But we're just classmates and working on a Science assignment", Soojung stated.

"It's okay, I don't mind if you date, just as long as he's super smart, rich and handsome. I'm just kidding, your father and I just want you to be happy and safe", Mrs Park said and smiled at her daughter.

"Uhh.. okay, I'm going to go study now", Soojung replied and ran upstairs.

 

It was a Saturday so Soojung woke up pretty late, she looked at her Ipod and it was just 10AM so she laid in her bed, staring at her ceiling. After about half and hour, Soojung got out of bed and got ready for the day. She ate breakfast, had a jog in the neighbourhood and took a shower. She ran downstairs and saw that it was 1PM so she got her stationery out. There was still a lot of time until Dongwoon was supposed to come so she decided to snack on a banana and watch television. Soojung turned it on and one of her favourite shows, Running Man was on. She watched half of the episode and about twenty minutes of Strong Heart when the doorbell rang. Soojung was too into the television so her mother went to get the door.

Dongwoon stepped into the house after greeting Mrs Park and heard a cry of laughter. He followed the sound into the living room and saw Soojung watching TV. 

"Yah, I'm here. Let's start on the Science assignment", Dongwoon insisted. 

"Oh, you're here. Sit down and watch a little", she patted the seat next to her and giggled at the fat man on the screen named Hodong. He glared at her but sat down anyway.

After the show was over, they headed out to her backyard. Mrs Park had prepared a picnic mat and a basket with a note on it before she left. Dongwoon saw the basket and with a smile on his face, walked to it to see the contents. 

"It's okay, I don't mind if you date.." Soojung remembered what her mother said the day before. Before Dongwoon could step onto the mat, she dashed to the basket and covered it with her arms.

"Yah, didn't your mother make that for us to eat? What are you hiding?" He asked, Dongwoon was very hungry. 

"I haven't seen it yet but I think I know what it is", Soojung said, still hugging the basket so Dongwoon could not open it. She read the note, it said:

HAVE FUN ♥

LOVE, EOMMA

"Is it what I think it is?" Soojung mumbled to herself. 

Dongwoon stared at her, trying to read her expression, "I'm so hungry, are you going to open it or not?"

"I knew it", Soojung sighed when she opened the basket. Inside was Kimbap (Sushi), eggs and sandwiches cut into heart shapes, juice in pink and blue couple bottles and a red rose in a little vase.

"AHAHAHAH, your mother thinks we're dating?" Dongwoon asked, laughing his off.

"No! Do you want to eat it or not? Shut up or I'll eat it by myself", Soojung said.

"Of course I'll eat it, I'm starving", Dongwoon exclaimed. They ate lunch together while talking about the Science task and school.

Soojung-ah, you're killing me. Did you already forget about Oppa? Changmin thought, looking through his binoculars from his balcony. 

When Dongwoon and Soojung finished their lunch, they decided to start on their assignment. 

 

"L-O-L, I can't get over how your mother thought we were dating and actually made us that lunch. Did you tell her about me?" Dongwoon chuckled, wagging his eyebrows.

"No, I did not! How rude?!" Soojung exclaimed and pushed Dongwoon a little too hard so he fell into a puddle of mud. "Mianhae, I had no intentions of getting you dir.." Soojung apologised but stopped when she felt mud on her shirt and a drop on her face. they began a mud-ball fight.  Dongwoon was about to wipe some mud on Soojung's cheek but tripped over a rock and fell on top of her. They stayed like that for about five seconds, both hearts racing. Soojung felt uncomfortable so she pushed him off. 

Changmin saw all of this. Soon, he had snacks, coffee and a blanket around him on his balcony. Changmin was filled with jealousy but was relieved when he saw Soojung push Dongwoon off. He watched angrily but knew he couldn't interfere with Soojung's relationships, he had no right to. Changmin decided that it was best to befriend again Soojung first, he was going to do that at school.

FLASHBACK

Twelve year old Changmin was preparing for his first day of high school when his best friend, Soojung ran up to his room. "Changmin-ah! Need help packing?" She questioned her friend who was a year older. She was so excited for him to move to secondary school but she was also going to miss him. Changmin got that feeling again. I was a weird feeling that he did not like. He kept getting it when Soojung was there. Changmin thought it was because he was annoyed of Soojung and did not like her anymore. "No, just go away. I don't need any help. Go to school", Changmin said to his best friend and shut the door behind him. He's probably just nervous about high school, Soojung thought.

"Eomma, what are these weird feelings I keep getting?" young Changmin asked his mother. She said he was just growing up and everyone at his age felt like that too. It was called, 'Puberty' and everyone experienced it. She said that people change and grow up differently. Changmin came to the conclusion that he changed and did not like Soojung anymore. 

"Oppa! How was school today? Did you make any new friends?" Soojung beamed when she saw Changmin after school. He turned to the almost twelve year old girl and replied, "Soojung, I'm growing up and I have changed. I don't feel the same way as before, I get weird feelings of hate and annoyance when I'm with you. I don't think we should be friends anymore, I've made new friends". Soojung did not say a word and ran home. 

FLASHBACK OVER

"Umm.. we're covered in dirt, I'm going to get changed and get you some clean clothes", Soojung said to Dongwoon and went in the house. When she came out, Dongwoon had already taken his shirt off and washed his hair and body with the hose. To avoid seeing his bare chest, Soojung threw her father's dress shirt over her head. Dongwoon saw this, smirked and took the shirt off her, revealing his CHOCO ABS to her. She's actually pretty cute. Wait.. what? What are you thinking Dongwoon? Must have been the heart shaped food. ..But it's not like she's seeing someone, right? Argh! Shut up! Dongwoon literally shook his head to get his thoughts out of his head.

Soojung had her back facing him the whole time, she was too embarrassed to look. Dongwoon tapped her on the back, there was no reply. He tapped her again and she just took a step further. Dongwoon tapped her again and she angrily replied, "What do you want?" turning around and glaring at him. Dongwoon pointed to the pair of pants she was holding. "Oh, here you go. Bathroom's to the right when you walk straight through the back door", she softened her expression.

Dongwoon finished changing and walked out. He actually noticed Soojung, she was wearing pyjama bottoms with a loose top that revealed her collarbone. His heart was pounding in his chest again. 

"Hey, come help me with this. Do the drawing of that plant", Soojung called him. 

 

They finished a third of the assignment at around 7PM. "Finally, that first part took a while", Soojung sighed and laid down on the mat. Dongwoon was tired from all the work so he joined her, laying his head on the palm of his hand. "Ooh, stars! Whoa, neomu yeppeuda", Soojung gasped at the bright dots that contrasted with the dark sky. Dongwoon looked over to Soojung and his heart raced as he realised how close he was to her. He also noticed that she was very pretty, not hot like the SNSD members but her smile was beautiful. Her eyes were glowing with the stars in excitement.

Soojung felt a pair of eyes on her so she turned her head but Dongwoon was looking up at the stars. Phew, lucky she didn't catch me. It would've been awkward and embarrassing. Dongwoon thought and looked over at her again. Soojung felt eyes on her again so she slowly rotated her head to her side to see the same thing. They repeated this a few times and Dongwoon chuckled. "What are you laughing at?" Soojung asked Dongwoon, glaring at him. 

"Nothing", he said and turned over to see her expression. They were again only about ten centimetres apart. Soojung's heart was beating so fast that she thought the world could hear it. Dongwoon felt the same. Dongwoon didn't know why he did it but he leaned in. Soojung was startled, she was uncomfortable again so she got up. "It's getting late, I think you should go home", she insisted and walked into the house just as her parents came home.

"Hey, isn't that my shirt?" Mr. Park asked with a shocked expression. He walked closer to examine Dongwoon. 

"Appa! It's not what you think!" Soojung yelled. Dongwoon nearly closed his eyes, preparing for whatever attack was coming for him.

"It is mine, looks nice on you, future son-in-law. Keep it", Soojung's father said, surprising everyone in the room.

"Appa! Eomma! Dongwoon and I are not dating, we're just classmates! Sorry about my parents Dongwoon-ssi, I think you should go home", she apologised. Dongwoon bowed and was about to walk to the door when Mr. Park stopped him. 

"Dongwoon, what a handsome name for a handsome face. Why don't you stay for dinner? We want to talk to you, I'll drive you home if you want", Mr. Park said. Dongwoon nodded and had a glance at Soojung. She noticed but looked away, she was still feeling awkward with him.

"Yes, do you like seafood soup?" Soojung's mother asked and smiled sweetly. 

Her parents asked Dongwoon questions about school, his interests and family and he answered. Soojung and Dongwoon did not speak to each other. "Oh, look at these kids. Are you shy to eat with us?" Her mother asked. Soojung was wondering if she should quickly finish her dinner and go to her room or stay so she could make sure no one says something stupid. She decided to go as she was already feeling full. "I'm off, I need to study. G'night", she said and took her plate to the kitchen. 

"So.. Dongwoon, what do you like about our daughter?" Mr. Park questioned him. 

"She's neomu yepp.. You do know we're not in a relationship right? I'm only here for a Science task", Dongwoon answered. 

"Well, you guys do look cute together", Soojung's mother said, "Do you like her?"

"She doesn't like me. I think I should get going", Dongwoon said after having a sip of water. 

"You seem like a nice guy, a good one for Soojung", Soojung's father complimented him. 

Dongwoon bowed and greeted them before leaving to go home. He insisted on walking, he liked walking after dinner.

He's finally going home. What were they doing inside for so long? It looks like Mr and Mrs Park likes him. Andwae. Changmin thought while looking out through his window.

YES! Finally, soz for the late update. My laptop froze today and I wanted to cry cos this wasn't saved. LOL just kidding, I didn;t want to cry. This chapter is so.. I don't know, it was hard to write. I was too embarrassed so I literally closed my eyes while typing for some parts. Hope you like it. It was more detailed and (what's the word? cute? romantic? I don't know, something like that) before. I had to start again and rushed it. Laters! I'll try to update more next week, holidays soon! 

Oh yeah, I know Changmin seems like a stalker but I'm trying to make him as similar as himself in real life as possible. LMAO Changmin likes to look at what people are going, like STARE at them. He's also supposed to be shy, I hope this wasn't confusing. 

Does anyone miss Nichkhun already? I do. :-) Bye for now, not forever.