Rant 12: English, Chinglish, Kongrish.

Rants of an AFF Girl

 

 

Annyeoghaseyo! Ne ireumen Lingmnida! DAEBAK! 

우연히 길을 걷다 네 남잘 봤어!

 

Sometimes, readers like me won't understand the Kongrish some authors write. I'd understand the romanizations of your Korean, but when you write in Hangul, it kind of drives me nuts. I mean, how simple is it to write, hello? Instead of Annyeong or 안녕. 

 

NOT TO SOUND MEAN BUT, YOU DON'T SOUND KOREAN OR INTELLIGENT IF YOU WRITE IN HANGUL OR ROMANIZATIONS.

 

In most common cases, authors do this because they want:

1. To show off their intellect of the Korean language.

or

2. Display their characters speaking Korean. 

 

First of all, you look pretty dumb writing in romanization. There's no point in writing romanization because most of the English spelling is wrong. In my opinion, roman. could only be used for things normal English words could not intepret, or for some sort of unique word. Ex: Kimchi, Dukkbokki, oppa, hyung, etc.

Also, almost 99% of AFF is filled with English speakers and a small amount, I assume, are able to read hangul or understand it all. Some readers have to go on Google Translate or Bing just to translate all the Hangul sentences or phrases thrown in.

 

Second, almost everyone in AFF's characters reside in Korea and speak Korean. So what is the point of your characters shown speaking Korean when we technically know that the characters are already speaking Korean?

 

And we have the annoying cases where the author overuses common Korean phrases or romanized words that is also often used incorrectly.

 

EX: " OPPA! EOMMA WANTS YOU TO WAKE UP!" I cried.

 " Arasso! Jakkumanyo!" Oppa cried.

" Nae!"

 

or:

 

Seongsangnim walked over to my chingu and I. He handed us our quiz results.

" Aiigggooo! Daebak! Jjang!" Wooram exclaimed.

I suddenly looked out the windows and who did I see? That ajumma I saw this morning.

 

I get it if you say oppa in your dialogue, but I really hate it when the author writes, oppa said. Seriously, why can't you say the guy's name? You and your character sound like idiots whenever you write like that. Arasso, jakkumanyo. Wtf, why can't you write; alright, okay, wait a minute, or just I WILL!?! And by the ways, I often see nae. From what I've heard, nae is the Korean equivelant to what. Seongsangnim, again, you could just write teacher. Chingu= friend= not that hard to write out.

 

 

My sister's Korean friend explained to me that aigoo is commonly used by OLDER people like the AHJUMMAS and grandpas. It's the Chinese equivalent to AYYYAAA! I mean, younger people also say aigoo, but it's not as common for them to say.  Aish is what they say. Oh and technically speaking, ahjummas are women that are married or women who are old enough to marry. However, in Korean slang, ajumma  is simply referred to as old ladies.  We all now what daebak means, and I usually don't care if the author writes that out. It's like one of those Korean slangs everyone knows and uses. However, when I see daebak and jjang combined or even near together, I CRINGE.

 

PLEASE DON'T DO THAT. YOU SOUND LIKE AN EVEN BIGGER KOREAN WEABOO!

 

I feel mean for writing this. But it had to done!