My Neighbor

My Neighbor

“Really? Is she pretty?”

“Most beautiful,” Donghae said as he looks at her.

‘Noona, it’s you.’

“Is she someone I know?”

“Someone you know?” Donghae said in deep thoughts. “Yes, she’s someone you know.”

‘Besides me you’re the one who knows her most.’

“Really?” Ariel said and began to think of faces that she knows.

“She is older than me,” he began.

“Ah, you like girls older than you?”

“Not all girls who are older than me, just this Noona.”

She smile.

“She’s beautiful, and kind, although sometimes she’s a bit rough on me.”

“Beautiful, kind, and rough? Do I really know her?” Ariel said as she couldn’t think of faces to match those personalities.

“Yes, you really do.”

“How long have you known her?”

“Mmmm…a long time.”

“What? Then how do I know her? Don’t you remember? I didn’t grow up with you here. My family moved to Taiwan when you were still so little.”

“I remember, but you really do know her. I see her almost every day, no, it’s more like I have to see her every day.”

Ariel’s smile slowly disappears, it seems like she had caught on, “Why?” she ask as she look away from Donghae.

“Because I really, really like her, so I have to see her at least once a day. If I don’t, I feel like…like…like I’m going to die.”

“You…like her that much?” Ariel said softly.

“Mmm.”

“Does she know that you like her?”

“I’m not sure.”

“Have you told her?” she ask still looking away from him.

“I have, many times, ever since I found out that I like her I’ve been telling her, but it seems like she thinks that I’m just joking around with her or she thinks that it’s not the kind of like between a man and a woman because I’m younger, so I’m not sure if she knows that I like her or not.”

“I see.”

“Noona,” Donghae said softly.

“What?”

“If I confess to you, would you accept me?”

“What are you talking about?”

“What I mean is, you’re also a Noona, and so if I confess to you, will you accept someone like me?”

“Ah~ Well…” she said and looks at Donghae. “From a Noona’s point of view I would definitely accept you if you confess to me.”

“Why?”

“Because all Noona’s wants a young and handsome man,” Ariel said and force a smile.

“Then, what about from your point of view? Just being Ariel?”

“From my point of view…” Ariel said and got quiet.

“Mama!” Xiao Hua said as she ran into Ariel’s’ arms.

“Was it fun?” Ariel asks her daughter.

She nods her head, “Daddy was so funny, he was screaming a lot” Xiao Hua explains as she laughs loudly. 

Ariel laughs with her, “Really?” she said and looks up to see Mike walking towards them.

“Xiao Hua we met again” Donghae said.

“Donghae Ajusshi, why are you here?”

“I’m waiting for my friends.”

“Oh~ Ajusshi, come with me,” she said and grabs onto Donghae’s hand. Donghae got up and they slowly walk towards Mike.

“Ajusshi, this is my father,” she said in Korean. “Isn’t he handsome?”

Donghae took a glance at Mike then turn back to look at Xiao Hua. “Mm.”

“Nice to meet you” Donghae managed to say to Mike as he stuck out his hand.

“Nice to meet you” Mike said as he shook Donghae’s hand.

“It’s getting late, we should get going” Ariel interrupt their stiff atmosphere.

The guys pulls their hand away from each other and Donghae puts his hand into his pocket.

“Then, I’ll see you later” Ariel said to Donghae and held Xiao Hua’s hand walking away from him.

Mike then quickly follow them.

“Anyone would say that they’re a family” Donghae said softly holding in his anger.

“Is he ONLY a student?” Mike ask as Ariel on the way home after Xiao Hua fell asleep.

“He’s whatever you think he is.”

Mike feeling upset from her answer sigh and look at the back seat through the rear mirror where he sees Ariel looking out the window.

 

-Flashback- America

 

“I’m sorry” Ariel quickly apologize to the person who she just bumped into and quickly got down to pick up the things she dropped.

“No, no I should be the one apologizing” a male voice reply as he quickly help her pick up her things. “Here” he hands her, her things.

“Thank you” Ariel said and look at the guy. A smile crept up her face.

“Are you new here?” he ask her.

“Yes, I recently transferred here” she answers him.

He smile, “Hi I’m Mike, nice to meet you” he said and stuck out his hand.

“I’m Ariel” Ariel said and shook his hand and saw the time on her wrist watch. “Oh no I’m late, I’m sorry again” she said and quickly ran off.

Mike smile as he turns to watch her run off and as he turn back he saw a small notebook against the wall. He picks it up and open it. It had Ariel’s name and class schedule on the first page.

He closed the book, “See you again” he said and walk away.

-End of flashback-

 

As they pull in front of the apartment building the person standing by the door caught Ariel’s attention. 

‘Xiao Xun’ she thought as she took a better look at the girl. Ariel quickly got out as soon as the car stops.

“Xiao Xun” Ariel said surprised to see her here.

“Jie (Older sister)” Xiao Xun said and smile at Ariel. “Mike” she said and smile bigger at him. “Where’s Xiao Hua?” she ask them.

“She’s asleep in the car” Ariel said.

“Can I carry her up?” she ask.

“Sure” Ariel replies and steps aside.

Xiao Xun then quickly got in the car to get Xiao Hua out.

“It’s been a long day so why don’t we do the talking tomorrow” Ariel said knowing that they have something to tell her. “Xiao Xun can stay here tonight.”

“Thanks Jie” she said as she holds Xiao Hua tightly patting her head.

“Then I’ll come back tomorrow” Mike said and quickly got in the car.

“Let’s go” Ariel said leading the way.

 

-In the apartment-

 

After tucking Xiao Hua in bed the two ladies had a drink in the kitchen. 

“How long have you been here?” Ariel ask Xiao Xun.

“I just arrived today.”

“Luggage?”

“Hotel.”

“Where do you want to sleep today?”

“I’ll sleep with you” Xiao Xun said.

“Okay, I’ll lend you some clothes” Ariel said finishing her drink and head towards her room.

Xiao Xun quickly finish up and follows her.

 

-Lying in bed-

 

“You don’t have anything you want to ask me?” Xiao Xun ask. 

Ariel smile, “He said the same thing” Ariel said softly.

“He? Mike?”

“Mmm…I won’t ask anything tonight, goodnight” she said and turns away from Xiao Xun.

Xiao Xun smile in the dark and quickly snuggle up next to Ariel.

“When was the last time we were like this?” she ask as she puts her hands around Ariel’s waist and closed her eyes.

Ariel pushed back her tears and closed her eyes.

 

-Next Day-

 

“Auntie Xiao Xun! When did you get here?” Xiao Hua excitedly said as she saw Xiao Xun walking out of Ariel’s room.

“Last night when you were asleep like a panda” she tease Xiao Hua.

“Come sit and have a little breakfast” Ariel said as she sets Xiao Xun’s share on the counter of the kitchen table.

“Thanks” Xiao Xun said and took a bite of her toast. “Xiao Hua did you miss auntie?”

“Of course, everyday” she replies.

“Auntie misses you every day too” Xiao Xun smile and brushes Xiao Hua’s hair back with her hand. “Look at you, you’ve grown up so much since the last time I saw you."

Ariel saw the look on Xiao Xun’s face and look down at her food.

“Mommy I want more juice” Xiao Hua said.

“Okay” Ariel look up and smile at her as Xiao Xun pulls her hand away from Xiao Hua.

“Thank you mommy” Xiao Hua said after Ariel finish pouring her some apple juice.

After breakfast they went for a walk at the nearby park.

“Papa!” Xiao Hua said as soon as she saw Mike arrive in the parking lot. She quickly ran towards him and gave Mike a hug.

“Did you sleep well?” he as Xiao Hua as he carries her up.

“Yes, Auntie Xiao Xun said I slept like a panda” she said with a smile.

“Really?” he said and looks at Xiao Xun and Ariel who were sitting at a bench watching them.

“Mmm.”

“So, what is it?” Ariel finally ask Xiao Xun. “It’s rare to see the both of you at the same place.”

“Jie…” Xiao Xun began. “Mike and I…got married” she said as she showed Ariel her wedding ring. “We got married at the beginning of this year in America and we plan to settle down there…the reason why we are here…you should know even if I don’t tell you right?”

“If you don’t tell me how should I know?” Ariel replies as she look at Xiao Hua who’s playing with Mike on the playground.

“We want to take Xiao Hua with us” Xiao Xun finally said it.

Ariel immediately look at Xiao Xun.

“You know I can’t do that. I can’t let you take her.”

“Please” Xiao Xun said look at Ariel.

“How are you going to tell mom and dad?” Ariel said trying to hold her anger in.

“The reason why I didn’t come here with Mike is because I stayed behind in Taiwan to be with mom and dad. Before doing anything, we already decided on what we should do and how we should do it. So before coming here we already told them.”

“What?” Ariel said shocked.

“They were really mad with me, no, Mike and I, but then after a few days they gave us their blessings and dad told me that you had already told him everything so he wasn’t as mad as mom with us…”

Ariel squeeze her hands into a fist, “Because you’re my sister, I’ll also give you my blessings but I cannot let you take Xiao Hua from me.”

“But I…I gave birth to her, I’m her real mother” Xiao Xun said with tears in her eyes.

“You think I don’t know that?! When you put up Xiao Hua for adoption didn’t I tell you not to regret it?!” Ariel said angrily at Xiao Xun.

“I know, so now I’m regretting it, so can’t you just let me raise her now? Let pay my sins by becoming a good mother to her.”

“I can’t do that.”

“Jie!”

“Although I didn’t give birth to her I raised her up since the day she left her arms. I may not be her birth mother, but I’m still her mother. So how can I just give her back to you just because you ask for it? Aren’t you too selfish?!”

“I know since I came into the family you had always let me have things my way and always give me the best first, so this time too…can’t you?” Xiao Xun said crying.

“Don’t use your tears with me” Ariel said holding in her tears. “I can’t let you have her, because to raise Xiao Hua up, I gave up many things, she’s that important to me. What can you give up for her? You don’t even know what being a mother is, you can’t even take care of yourself, so how can I let someone like you take her?”

“It’s different know, I’ve changed.”

“That’s right, Xiao Xun have changed, and so have I” Mike said joining the conversation. “And if you let us take her, you can start out new. You’re still single, so with a child around you won’t be able to settle down.”

Ariel look at them coldly, “Whether I settle down or not it’s none of your business.”

“Isn’t that one of the many things that you gave up because you were raising Xiao Hua?” Xiao Xun ask.

“Xiao Hua had never been a problem to whether I settle down or not” Ariel said and starts to walk towards Xiao Hua.

“Alright, then what about later when she grows up?” said Mike stopping Ariel from walking further. “How are you going to tell her about this? How do you think she will accept this confusing relation?” Mike ask.

Ariel didn’t reply and continue to walk towards Xiao Hua. 

“Xiao Hua” Ariel said with a smile.

“Mama, did you cry?” Xiao Hua as Ariel 

“No, mommy is just tired. Let’s go home okay?”

“Okay,” she said and took Ariel’s hand.

Xiao Xun turns around and waived to her parents.

“What should we do now? I don’t think she’ll let us take Xiao Hua” Xiao Xun said crying even more now.

Mike pulls her into his arms and pats her back. “There’s only one way now.”