My Neighbor

My Neighbor

 

-Flashback-

Just as the elevator door began to close Ariel heard a male yelling telling her to keep the doors open. She quickly slides her hand between the gaps of the elevator doors to make them open again.

“Thank you” Donghae said as he walks into the elevator with bags of groceries in his hands.

Ariel smiled at him and was about to press the button of the floor she wants to go to but Donghae’s hand bumps into hers.

“Sorry” Donghae quickly apologizes as he pulls his hand away.

“Um…What floor?” Ariel asks.

“Fifth floor please,” he smile at Ariel.

Ariel pressed the button and pulls her hand away.

“Are you…also going to the fifth floor?” he asked.

“Yes,” she replies.

The elevator then became quiet. Once the door opens they both walked out at the same time bumping into each other.

“Sorry” they said at the same time.

Donghae quickly steps back to let Ariel go first. Ariel thanked him with a quick bow and walks out.

Donghae then follows her out walking down the same direction. Ariel began to suspect Donghae, because he keeps on following her. She began to slow down her steps and so did Donghae. She turns around to look back at him.

“Hi,” he smiles, “My apartment is also down this way” he said knowing what she’s thinking about.

Ariel turns back around and continues walking.

Ariel walks to her apartment door and stops. She opens the slot that covers the numbers and started to type in the number to open the door. Just as she finished typing in the number she felt someone behind her.

She quickly turns around and saw Donghae standing there.

“Oh~ so you’re the new neighbor!” Donghae said with a big smile on his face.

“Yes,” Ariel replied kind of confused.

“I live here” he points to the door across from hers. “Welcome to the neighborhood.”

“Oh…Thank you, please take care of me” she said feeling relief.

“Me too,” said Donghae. He turns around and punched in his numbers. “Then, see you around” Donghae said before walking into his house.

-End of Flashback-

“Ya, you already met the teacher?” Eunhyuk asked surprised.

“Yeah, I bumped into her yesterday” Donghae replies.

“Okay, it’s time, let’s start class” Ariel said changing the topic. “Let’s start with attendance first” she said and began calling names. When Ariel came across Donghae’s name she found it familiar, but she doesn’t know why. She shook it off her mind and continues what she was doing.

The class went for an hour and a half before the students began to leave.

“See you tomorrow” the students paid their respect as they walk out of the classroom.

“See you tomorrow,” she replies back as she packs her things.

“What a coincidence” Donghae, the last student to leave said to her as he stood in front of her podium.

“What is?” she asks.

“Us.”

Ariel smiled at him, “Is that so? Then let’s just keep it as a coincidence,” she said giving a hint that she doesn’t want to know more about him, and she doesn’t plan on telling him anything about her. “See you tomorrow,” she said and walks out of the room first.

“Interesting” Donghae said and follows Ariel out.

“Lao Shi,” Donghae said and quickly caught up with Ariel.

“If it’s not about the class and homework, then please don’t say it” Ariel told him.

“Why? We’re neighbors, so shouldn’t we get to know each other better?”

“You want to get to know me?” Ariel asks.

Donghae nods his head.

“Then you shouldn’t have missed yesterday’s lecture” Ariel told him as she pressed the elevator button.

“Why? Did we learn about you yesterday?”

“Why don’t you ask your classmates?” Ariel said and walks into the elevator. “Then, see you tomorrow” she before the door closes.

“Ask the classmates?” Donghae said to himself. He took out his phone and calls Eunhyuk. “Ya, where are you?”

- - -

The next day after Chinese class Ariel went to see her old home. She looks at her home from the sidewalk as she walks pass it slowly. And slowly her childhood memories that she made here began to fly through her head like a movie. She stops at the door and reads the surname of the people who are living there now.

“Jeon…Lee?!” she said surprised as she reads her neighbor’s house.

“Lee…Lee Donghae,” the name finally came to her head. ‘No way…it can’t be, they can’t possibly be the same person right?’

“Lee Donghae” she said once again remembering her time that she spend with him.

“Yes?” she heard Donghae’s voice behind her.

She slowly turns around and saw her student Lee Donghae standing in front of her with a basket of fruits in one of his hands and a bouquet of flowers in the other.

“Lee Donghae” Ariel said from being surprised.

“Lao Shi! Why are you here?! Are you here to see my parents?! Did I do something wrong?” he said in a panic.

“No…” Ariel said calming herself down. “You…you live here?”

“Yes, well no, my parents live here, as you know I live in the apartment across from you,” he told Ariel. “Well Lao Shi, since you’re here, do you want to meet my parents?” he asks.

“No, I-“

“It’ll just be really quick,” he smiles and grabs her hand taking her into the house.

“Mom, I’m home” Donghae said as soon as he walks through the front doors.

“Donghae~ what took you so-“ Mrs. Lee paused as soon as she saw Ariel. “Donghae, who is this young and pretty lady?” Mrs. Lee said not taking her eyes off Ariel. “Your girlfriend?”

“No, mom, what are you saying?” Donghae said embarrassed. “She’s my class new Chinese teacher, I saw her passing by and took her in to meet you,” Donghae explains.

“I see,” she smiles at Ariel, who’s smiling back at her with teary eyes. “What should I call you teacher~”

“Lin. My name is Ariel Lin” Ariel said as tears of joy ran down her face.

“Ariel Lin?!” Donghae said shocked.

“Auntie Lee, it’s me Ariel, I used to live next door when Donghae was 5 years old. My father was a doctor.”

“Omo…my look at you…how long has it been?” she said as she smiles at Ariel.

“Very long” Ariel said and gave her a hug.

“Yes, it’s been very long. I’m so happy to see you” she said as she rubs Ariel’s back. “Ariel, would you like to join us for dinner?” Mrs. Lee asked as they pulled away.

“I’m sorry, but I really was just passing by today, I have to get going. But I’ll definitely come another day and stay with you longer,” Ariel said as she wipes her tears.

“Okay,” Mrs. Lee nods her head.

“Then, see you again,” Ariel said and walks out ignoring Donghae.

“Mom,” Donghae said as he gave her the flowers and fruit of basket. “Don’t wait for me, I’m going to go home tonight” he said indicating his apartment. He then quickly rushed out of the house.

“Wait! Lao Sh- No. Ariel Noona wait!” Donghae yells after Ariel.

“I told you to wait” Donghae said as soon as he finally caught up with Ariel.

“What do you want?”

“Why didn’t you tell me that you’re…you?”

“Because I just found out that you were you,” she said and looks at her watch. “Oh no, I’m late” she said and ran off with Donghae chasing after her.

Ariel finally stops running when she reached the elementary that she used to attend.

“What are you doing here?” Donghae asks as he tries to catch his breaths.

Ariel turns around and looks at him, “Why are you still here? Why are you following me?” she asks beginning to feel annoyed by him.

“Because I want to talk to you, but you won’t let me talk,” he explains.

“Then let’s talk tomorrow.”

“Why? Don’t you have time now?”

“No,” Ariel said as the bell ranged for the students to leave.

“Why? Are you here to teach Chinese as well?”

“No.”

“Then, why?“

“Mama!” they heard a little girl’s voice said loudly in Chinese.

 

 

 

****

UPDATED!