My Neighbor

My Neighbor

On ride home Xiao Hua fell asleep as she sat between Donghae and Ariel in the taxi. Ariel leans her daughter onto her side until they reached home. On the whole ride home Donghae kept on thinking about what Ariel told him today.

“Let me,” Donghae said quickly as he got around the taxi to help carry Xiao Hua.

“No, it’s okay, you just paid for our ride home, I shouldn’t let you carry her too,” Ariel told him as she grabs Xiao Hua’s bag first.

“No problem, you must be really tired from the long day” Donghae said as he gently pushed Ariel aside to take Xiao Hua out.

“Thanks,” Ariel said as she closes the door.

Donghae smiled at her, “I’m always willing to help.”

As they waited for the elevator, Ariel looks at the sleepy Xiao Hua and brushes her hair aside as her head was laid on Donghae’s shoulder.
Donghae slightly turn to look at Ariel. As soon as their eyes met they quickly look away.

Just then the door opens.

“Give her to me,” Ariel said as they reached their apartment doors.

Donghae did as told.

Ariel opens the door and steps into the apartment. Before she closes the door she looks at Donghae, “Good night” she said to him then closed door.

Donghae smiles at her until he was sure she walked away from the door. He turns around and opens the door to his apartment.

~

Ariel tucked Xiao Hua in bed before taking a shower and heading to bed herself. Just as she turns of the lamp beside her bed, her phone lit up from receiving a text. She reached for her phone that’s beside her lamp and look to see who sent her a message.

‘Noona~ Good-night.’

Ariel smiled and puts her phone back onto the table. She pulls her blanket over her and fell asleep.

~

Later that next day there was a knock at the door.

“I’ll get it!” Xiao Hua said and quickly ran to open the door. “Oh! DonghaeAjusshi!” Xiao Hua said surprised.

“Hi Xiao Hua” Donghae said and waves at her.

“Who is-“Ariel paused as soon as she poked her head out from the kitchen and saw Donghae standing at the door. “Hi Donghae, what brings you here?” Ariel ask.

“Noona…ummm are you busy?”

“No, not at the moment, why?”

“Well…I was wondering if you can help me with my Chinese homework” he said and turn to show her his backpack.

“Xiao Hua, what do you say?” Ariel asks her daughter.

“Okay! Donghae Ajusshi, I’m about to do my homework ask well, so let’s do homework together” Xiao Hua said to Donghae and pulls him into the house.

Donghae smiles, “Deal.”

After eating dinner with Ariel and Xiao Hua, the homework session began.

“Okay, which part don’t you get?” Ariel asks Donghae as they sat on the ground in the living room using the coffee table as the desk.

“This one,” Donghae points out a word that he doesn’t understand.

Ariel leans over and took a look, “Ah~ this one,” she said and began to explain the meaning of the character.

“I see,” Donghae said and nods to all of her explanations. He also wrote some small notes down next to each of the characters that he doesn’t understand.

As they studied together they did serious work, and took breaks. They also chatted and play games that would help Donghae memories the characters.

“Xiao Hua it’s late, go take a bath and prepare to go to bed,” Ariel said to her daughter.

“Yes, mama,” Xiao Hua replied and began to put her things away.

After Xiao Hua left, the comfortable atmosphere left with her leaving the awkwardness.

“So, is there anything else that you don’t understand?” Ariel asks Donghae.

“There is, but you seem pretty tired, so why don’t we stop here for today?” Donghae suggested.

“Okay, but let’s finish this page first,” she insist and so they continued with the study.

Ariel left Donghae to go tuck Xiao Hua in bed before returning to the living room.

“Is she asleep?” Donghae ask.

“Um…” Ariel replies and sat down to help Donghae pack his things.

“Donghae,” Ariel said breaking the silence.

“Yes Noona,” Donghae immediately replies.

“It’s not that I don’t want you to come here, and I know that we’re neighbors, but I’m still a teacher and you’re still a student, so next time if you want me to help you with homework, let’s meet somewhere where it’s public. And this time I’ll let it slide.”

“I understand,” Donghae reply with a little disappointment. “Thanks for everything today Noona, good-night” Donghae said to Ariel as she walks him out to the door.

“Sure,” Ariel replies. “Ah Donghae,” Ariel said making Donghae turn around.

“Yes Noona?”

“How did you get my number?”

“Ah~ I asked my mother,” he said as he rubs the back of his head feeling shy.

“I see, then see you later,” Ariel said about to close the door.

“Oh and Noona,” Donghae said as he quickly stops Ariel from closing the door.

“What is it?”

“Sorry, about last time,” he said quickly and ran into his apartment.

“Which last time?” Ariel wonders as she closed the door.

~

As the time passes, Ariel and Donghae catches up on their lives, and Donghae also go closer to Xiao Hua. Then summer was already here.

“Mama, what are we going to go do today? It’s the first day of summer break,” Xiao Hua asks Ariel.

“What does Xiao Hua want to do?” Ariel asked her instead.

“Go to the zoo! I want to go see animals,” she said excitedly.

“Okay, let’s go to the zoo then,” Ariel replies.

“Yay!” Xiao Hua quickly got off the couch. “Then I’m going to go get ready,” she said and ran to her room. Just as she left the doorbell rang.

“What is he doing here so early?” Ariel got up and walk to the door. She opened it assuming that it was Donghae.

“Hi…Ariel,” the man standing in front of her said to her as soon as she saw his face.

“Hi...Mike.”

 

 

 

 

 


****

UPDATED!


Sorry for the long wait!
Anyways, in a few days I'm gana go on a long trip, so I won't be updating for a while, but while I still have my laptop and internet access, I'll try to update another chapter or two before I leave. Thanks!