The Day After

A Song Calling For You


The whistling sound from the kettle on top of the stove made him hurriedly made his move towards the kitchen from the sofa in the living room.  He switched off the fire and poured the hot water in a mug filled with honey and a slice of lemon by the counter beside the stove.  He covered the mug with a plastic lid and went over to the refrigerator and took out a can of Coca-Cola.  Opening it, he made his way back into the living room and switched on the TV set.


As he was watching the repeat of Happy Together, a loud scream pierced the silent afternoon.  He smiled, ‘Well, sleeping drunken beauty is finally up.’  He set down the can in his hand onto the coffee table and made his way into the first bedroom on his left.  Opening the door, he walked in into the owner of the scream.


“Hyun Joong?  What is the meaning of this?” she asked him, ecstatic and confusion on her face.  He chuckled as he watched the girl he love wrapped and tied in a blanket, just like a worm he often used for fishing.  He went over her and beginning to untie the ‘wrapper’ with a huge grin still pasted on his face.


“What’s going on?  Why are you in my apartment?  Why am I being wrapped in a blanket?  And why do I have this massive headache?” she asked him question after question.


Not answering any of the questions, he sat her up and leaned her at the head of the bed while he sat himself at the edge.  He took out his phone and after going through it, he switched on a video before handing the phone to her.


“Watch this…” he simply said.


He watched her expression changed from confusion to shock to embarrassment.  After the video ended, she looked up at him and he was ready for the questions.


“What actually happen?  Is that really me?”


“You want the short version or the long one?” he asked, “but before that, wait here for a second.”


He got up and walked out of the room and went into the kitchen.  Opening the lid of the mug, he grabbed it with his right hand and with his left; he took the aspirin beside it.  Walking back to her, he handed the mug and the aspirin to Yoon Jae.


“Let’s take care of that headache first before adding a new one.”


She eyed him suspiciously but still took the aspirin and swallowed it before drinking the hot honey lemon drink he has prepared for her.  He took the mug once she was done with it and put it aside on the side table. 


“Long version, please…” she stated, looking intently at him, probably preparing herself for what he’s going to say.  He saw it and tried to suppress the laugh that was about to pass thru his throat.  He wanted to a bit and tried to make his expression serious.


“Okay…long version.  Where do I start?  Emmm…after you cancelled our date; I contact one of my senior and got myself an invitation.  I got in just in time to see you drinking the spiked drink.  For your information, your student did not do it.  It’s that other bastard that did it while his friend distracted her at the bar.  She tried to protect you from that bastard.  Luckily I was there in time.  I wanted to hit that guy so badly but your safety was my priority.”


She nodded slowly, “I remember drinking that drink and then everything went blur and bright.  And the music…it was…I don’t know.  It’s like the music was calling to me.”


“Well, you did dance ily to the music.  I have never seen you dance before and after I brought you home…you, well…just like in the video, you kind of seduced me with your dance,” he told her, smirking.


“Do not mention that video again.  Please delete them.  But why was I wrapped?”


“You were about to stripped off your clothes.  I tried to stop you but you kept saying you were hot and you had to be free, or so to speak.  I can’t let that happen…too risky for me.  I have to protect myself.”


“Protect yourself?”


“Well, you are about to jump on me…”


He saw her teary eyes boring straight at him.  ‘Did I say something wrong?  Was she disappointed that I didn’t do it with her?


Leaning forward, he wanted to embrace her.  To comfort her, but he was shocked when she jumped straight into his arm and rested her head on his shoulder.  Startled, he took a few seconds to respond back by putting his arms around her.


“Komawo yo, Hyun Joong ah.  I am so grateful to you.”


He smiled.  “I am just trying to protect myself from being a victim…”


After he said that, a punch hit his chest.  He chuckled.  He released his arm that was around her and held both sides of her arms.  Pushing her backwards, away from him so that he could see her face, he , “But if you want to have me now, I’m more than willing to do so.”


“Hyun Joong ah!”


“Hahaha…I was just kidding.  Come on, go and shower.  If you hadn’t noticed, it is now already 2 in the afternoon.  I’m hungry.  There’s  only biscuits and fruits in your fridge.”


“It is?  I’ve been asleep that long?  Wait…wait here.  I’ll get ready now.”


He let her go as she got up to get prepared.  He watched her make her move to the bathroom and got another shock of the day as she pecked him on the lips whilst getting up and before he could react, she fled the scene.


“I’ll get you for that,” he said, hastily getting up from his seat to catch up with her and seeing him after her, she laughed and shrieked, getting straight into the bathroom without taking any of neither her clothes nor the towel.


“Noona…your towel is here with me…are you going to get out of the bathroom after your shower?  Uuuu…I am so looking forward for that.”


“Hyun Joong ah…stop joking like that.  Please get the towel for me…please?”


“I can do that but, I need payment to do so,” he said in front of the closed door, smiling teasingly.


“Payment?  What kind of payment?” she answered from the other side of the door.


“Let me give you a real kiss.  I miss my girl…I dream of her for a whole week.”


He waited for her reply but none came.  He leaned closer and cupped his ear to the door, listening intently.  There was no sound, not even the sound of water running.


Then he heard a creaked.  ‘She’s opening the door.  She’s going to allow me to kiss her?


From behind the small crack, he saw her eye looking at him, “Hand me the towel first,” she said.


Thinking that he would be able to get a kiss, he took the towel and handed it to her.  But to his surprise, she closed the door straight away after receiving the towel.


“Where’s my kiss?  Noona…,” he grumbled, knocking on the door.


“Nice try, Hyun Joong ah… hahaha…”


I’ll get you for that, Yoon Jae.  There’s no way I’m going to let you win,’ he mentally made a note, thinking and scheming of ways to get back at her as he walked and waited for her on her bed.