F.R.I.E.N.D.S.

Water Maze
Narrator’s POV 
 
 
Yoomi twitched.  “What’s that noise?” she groaned, her eyes fighting to open.  A ring blared out of the alarm clock on the nightstand and flashed 7:00.  Her heart sank.  “I should’ve been up an hour ago!”   
 
“Who the heck set it so loud?” She reached for the alarm and raised it to throw across the room, but a piece of paper fluttered to the floor.  Curious, she set the alarm on the nightstand and grabbed the paper.  She blinked a few times and rubbed her eyes.  
 
“Hope you got a heart attack.  Now get to and go to school… Prince Youngmin,” she read. Gripping the paper, she closed her eyes and took a deep breath.  After rereading the note, her gaze fell on the closed door.  “Prince my ,” she muttered. 
 
She tossed the paper, torn in two, in the trashcan in her bathroom.  Getting out her toothbrush and toothpaste was too much effort.  She stared at her reflection as she brushed lazily.  “What was he doing in my room while I was sleeping anyway?” she said, suddenly alert and mouth full of toothpaste. “That jerk!  He’ll pay for this!”  She brushed harder.
 
She didn’t spend as much time as she preferred getting dressed, but she couldn’t be late for school.  Stumbling out of her room and nearly tripping down the stairs to the living room, she noticed the sky was a deep blue.  
 
“Why is it so dark?” She felt the wall for a light switch.  Her fingers smacked into it and the room lit up.  “Ouch!”   her finger, she looked around.  “Where is everyone?” she mumbled and shook her hand.  
 
“Kwangmin?” Stepping closer to the kitchen, she realized her voice echoed.  “Kwangmin?  Where are you?  It’s time for school…” The kitchen was empty.  She rubbed her arms, feeling chilly with the eeriness. 
 
“Yoomi?”  Kwangmin’s groggy voice softly called behind her.  
 
Yoomi turned and blinked at Kwangmin standing at the bottom of the stairs in his pajamas.  “Kwangmin?” 
 
“What are you doing down here so early?” He rubbed his eyes and walked closer.  
 
 She crossed her arms.  “It’s not early though, it’s seven in the morning.  Aren’t you going to get ready for school?” 
 
Kwangmin pointed at the clock. “Um… I don’t know what clock you were using,” he smiled.  
 
Yoomi followed the direction of his finger.  The clock read 5:30.  
 
“JO YOUNGMIN!” 
 
Kwangmin tried to register the abrupt change in volume as Yoomi stomped past him and flopped on the couch.  He grinned and followed her in the living room.  “It’s okay.”  He leaned over the couch and patted her head.  
 
“Sorry for disturbing you, Kwangmin,” her words muffled.  
 
He ruffled his hair.  “It’s fine, I’m just going to sleep again.”  He walked around and sat by Yoomi’s feet.  “Will you wake me up at seven?” 
 
She didn’t answer. 
 
“Yoomi-ah?” He poked her leg.  “Will you wake me up at seven?”  
 
“Yes.”
 
“Yoomi?” 
 
She looked at him and smiled.  Sitting crisscrossed, she nodded.  “I’ll wake you up.  It’s the least I can do for waking you up.”
 
Kwangmin returned her smile.  “Good.”  He slid closer to her and rested his head on her lap.  “I’m just gonna sleep here, is that okay?” 
 
Yoomi couldn’t resist his stare.  “Sure.” She moved his bangs off his face and he closed his eyes with a smile.    
 
 
 
Youngmin’s POV
 
 
I couldn’t stop staring at Yoomi’s face as she petted Kwangmin’s hair, him gently falling asleep, their breathing in synch.  It was easy to imagine me there.  I raised my head from the stair railing and shook it. 
 
“I hope I’m doing the right thing,” I sighed.  Standing up, I knew I was, but it hurt.  I forced myself back to my room before I could be tortured any longer.  
 
 
 
Narrator’s POV
 
 
"Kwangmin.  Kwangmin-ah!" Yoomi shook him lightly. 
 
He stretched his legs out.  "Kwangmin-ah!”  Yoomi shook him a little harder.  “I know you’re up!” 
 
A small smile took over his lips and he turned his head.   
 
"Oppa!" Yoomi laughed and smacked his shoulder.  
 
Kwangmin opened his eyes.  “Good morning, Yoomi.” He reached up and touched her cheek.  
 
She took his hand and kept it on her cheek.  Brushing his bangs off his forehead, she smiled.  “Good morning, oppa.  Time to get up now.”
 
“No!” he whined.  He buried his face in her stomach and hugged her waist.  
 
“Come on, up!  Up!”  She tapped his head, trying not to laugh.  “You made my legs fall asleep, come on!” 
 
“Fine, fine…” He rolled off the couch and trudged away, head hung. 
 
“Oppa!” 
 
 
 
Kwangmin’s POV
 
 
An hour later, Yoomi and I put on our shoes.  “Thanks for the breakfast,” I said sweetly.  I opened the door and waited for her to walk through.  When we were both outside, I put my arm around her shoulders.  
 
“No problem,” she giggled and took my hand in hers.  
 
“Bubble tea today?”  I already knew the answer.  
 
“Of course!” 
 
As we walked to the bubble tea shop on our way to school, I thanked God Youngmin didn’t make an appearance this morning.  
 
“Kwangmin, which do you want?” 
 
“Whatever you’re having!”  Yoomi flashed a smile at me before ordering.  She handed me mine and we walked to school again.  
 
“Oppa, after this week there’s no more school!” 
 
“Really?”  I looked up at the sky thoughtfully.  Yoomi elbowed my side and on her straw.  “I’m excited though.  No school means no homework!”  My cup made a suction noise and I threw in the nearest trashcan.  
 
Yoomi held hers out at arm’s length.  “Can you throw mine out too?”  
 
I took it from her.  “Of course.”  It sailed in a perfect arc into the trash.  
 
“Wow oppa, thanks!”  She linked her arm through mine.  “No homework means more free time.  And more free time means I can hang out with Hwayoung more.” 
 
I pouted.  “No free time for me?  Aww…”  I showed my 4D aegyo.  
 
Yoomi stuck her tongue out.  “Of course I’ll have free time for you!  Even if I didn’t want to, my mom would make me spend time with you.  You’ll see me every day.”  She patted my shoulder and hurried through the doors of the school ahead of me.  
 
“Wait for me, Yoomi!”  She stopped as I grabbed her hand.  “Better,” I smiled.  
 
Her face looked a little strange.  I glanced around us.  Everyone was staring at us, some shocked, some with dumbfounded expressions, and then--
 
“KWANGMIN OPPA!”  
 
It took a lot for me to refrain from rolling my eyes as Nohi rushed toward me, arms spread.  The scene was slightly comical yet impressive because of her speed in those tall heels.  Her arms wrapped around my middle, unsubtly separating Yoomi and me.  I looked down at Nohi then to Yoomi.  Her face was hard to read but I definitely knew it bothered her.  
 
“Nohi, get off!  Get off!”  I struggled to peel her off.  She stumbled back to her group of friends who appeared and pouted.  “What do you want now?”  I hoped I sounded as exasperated as I felt.  
 
She batted her eyes.  “Nothing, I just wanted to greet you!”  
 
“Hwayoung, I can carry those books for you, they look so heavy!”  Minwoo’s determined voice came closer.    
 
“I’ve carried four textbooks all through high school, I think I can carry them today,” Hwayoung assured him.  
 
“But I can take them today for you, I work out a lot so they wouldn’t be a problem!” he protested.  
 
Hwayoung ignored him and stood with us.  “Hey Yoomi, what’s…” She saw Nohi and her group of friends. “…Up.”  She sighed and turned to Minwoo.  “Okay, here.” She put her books in Minwoo’s outstretched arms.  His face brightened and he straightened.  “Oh look who’s here,” she drawled.   
 
Nohi raised her face.  “Oh look, it’s Hwayoung and her puppy.”  
 
“Nohi and her s, what’s new?” 
 
Nohi’s nose wrinkled.  “Not worth my time.”  She fixed her attention on me again.  “Oppa--” 
 
“Don’t ever do that again, you know I have a fiancée and she’s standing right here.”  I pulled Yoomi next to me, my arm around her waist. 
 
Nohi tossed her hair over her shoulder.  “So what?  I’m confident I can steal you from her,” she scoffed.  
 
“Believe me, if she says it, she’ll do it,” Jaemi sneered.  
 
Hwayoung laughed. “Kwangmin has something called ‘class’… And what about Niel?  I heard--”  
 
“Shut up, that’s nothing!” Nohi interrupted.  “You don’t know anything!” 
 
Minwoo stepped forward.  “Hey--” Hwayoung blocked him with her arm, her eyes not leaving Nohi's.  His face concerned, he stopped and stepped back. 
 
“Well Kwangmin actually loves Yoomi, so you can’t just steal him,” Hwayoung spat.  
 
HeeChin crossed her arms. “Well I hope he’ll still love her by next month.”
 
“Oh.  He will.”  Hwayoung her heel and walked away.  Minwoo followed close behind.    
 
Nohi sputtered but couldn’t say anything more.  She fumed as her friends crowded around her.  I pulled on Yoomi’s hand to walk with Hwayoung and Minwoo.  
 
We stopped at Yoomi’s locker.  “What does she mean by that?” she asked worriedly.  
 
I brought her close.  “Nothing, don’t listen to her.  Don’t listen to anyone, I’ll still love you.”  
 
Hwayoung leaned against the lockers.  “That’s right Yoomi, don’t listen to those s.  Listen to us, your best friends and fiancé.”  Minwoo elbowed me and we smiled.  
 
“Just let her listen to whoever she wants, she’s too dumb to care about what people say.”  Youngmin stood next to Minwoo.  
 
Minwoo laughed nervously. “Hyung?  Did you just get here?” 
 
“Now shut up and go to class.”  Youngmin bumped into Yoomi’s shoulder as he passed us.  
 
“That’s it.  I can’t take this anymore.”  Yoomi threw her backpack in her locker, slammed it shut, and marched to Youngmin.  
 
“Hey!  You!  Jo Youngmin!”  
 
He stopped walking and turned around, hands in his pockets.  I glanced at Hwayoung and moved to run next to Yoomi, but she put her hand on my arm.  “Let her do this one,” she said.  
 
“Why do you keep bullying me?  I haven’t done anything wrong to you!  Get over what you’ve got with me, if we’re going to be family, I want to get along!  What’s with you?” Yoomi breathed out hard.  
 
Youngmin smiled, unable to believe it.  He sauntered over to her.  Bending to her eye level, he grinned.  “The reason is I hate you.  You got that?  I hate you.  Okay?” He straightened and turned to leave.  
 
I didn’t care what anyone said.  I ran to them and turned Youngmin around by his shoulder.  “Why would you say that to her?  She didn’t even do anything wrong!”  My fist tightened.  
 
Youngmin looked me up and down.  “Get out of this, Kwangmin.”  He entered his classroom.  
 
I moved to follow, but Yoomi’s touch on my arm stopped me.  I couldn’t stand looking at her glistening eyes any longer.  I pressed her face to my chest.  “Don’t worry, just ignore him.”  
 
“Yeah, let’s go to class Yoomi, we’re gonna be late.”  Hwayoung gently took Yoomi’s arm.  She nodded. 
 
Hwayoung turned to Minwoo.  “My books please?”
 
“Are you sure I can’t walk you to class, because I really could--”
 
“You class is on the opposite side of the building!” Hwayoung grabbed her books and walked with Yoomi to their class.  
 
“You know my first period?”  Minwoo turned to me.  “She knows my first period!” 
 
“Aigoo, Minwoo.”  I punched his shoulder.  We watched Yoomi and Hwayoung turn the corner. “Minwoo, tell me.  Is Yoomi a hateful person?” 
 
“No, not at all, she’s a lovely person.  But I still like my girl more,” he winked and elbowed my side.  
 
We walked down the hallway to our class.  “Your girl?  But you don’t have a girl.”
 
He just stared at me.  
 
“Oh.  Oh…”  I tried not to laugh.  “Dude, she’s not even into you.” 
 
“She will soon,” he sighed dreamily.  
 
“Whatever you say, Minwoo…”  He stuck out his tongue.  “No matter what, I still like her.  I really like her,” I said.   
 
The tardy bell rang.  “Hwayoung was right, we’re gonna be late!” Minwoo cried and took off down the hallway.       
 
 
 
Youngmin’s POV
 
 
I threw my backpack on my desk.  The kid next to me scooted their chair away from mine.  I took out my notebook.  Since I couldn’t think out loud, writing it down would have to do.  
 
Why do I have to be mean to her?  Why did I say I hated her when I don’t?  What if she hates me more after what just happened?  Well duh, she will.  Even if I can’t be the love of her life, I want to be her friend.  Right?  Isn’t that better than nothing?  I don’t even know anymore.  I don’t know.
 
I put my head down on the table.  “Yoomi, why are you doing this to me?” I mumbled.  “Why do you have to ruin my life?” A tear slowly rolled down my cheek.  Oh God, get yourself together!  
 
Naeun came to mind.  “What if Naeun finds out when she comes back?”  I shook my head and ripped my ranting out of my notebook.  “Aish, what am I talking about?  We broke up a long time ago.”  I stood up and walked to the trashcan.  “We look the same, so why does Yoomi like him and not me?  Does she really hate me?”  I looked at my hands.  The paper was torn to shreds.  I dumped my feelings in the trash and sat at my desk again.