What a Day

Water Maze

Youngmin’s POV

 
I rolled over and faced my clock sitting on my nightstand.  The glowing red light said 6 AM.  I rolled onto my back and groaned.  I barely got any sleep because of Shorty.  No matter how much I tried, she kept pushing her way in my head.  Did she come here because of Kwangmin or because I dared her to?  Does she really hate me?  How can she hate me so much, I barely did anything!  I imagined her crossing her arms and pouting.  The image was amusing and a faint smile formed on lips.  
 
I sat up straight.  “What am I thinking?” I scolded myself.  “Aish!”  I shook my head.  “Just need something to eat…”  
 
My room was at the end of the hallway, so passing Yoomi’s was inevitable.  I slowly walked past her room, afraid I’d wake her up.  Once I was past her room, I relaxed and walked down the stairs to the living room.  Someone sitting on the soft white carpet caught my eye and I ducked.  “Too small to be Kwangmin,” I mumbled.  I looked over the banister to see who it was.
 
Yoomi tucked her hair behind her ear, focused on what she was doing.  I quietly moved down the staircase without taking my eyes off her.  Her lips moved and stopped.  “Ugh, no.”  She scribbled on a paper.
 
I tripped over the last stair but caught myself just in time.  “Is she singing?” I said to myself.  I sat on the chair behind her.  She didn’t even notice.  “I never knew you were a song writer.”  I mentally kicked myself for letting the words slip out so loudly.
 
She jumped.  “Ya, were you were here the whole time?”  She started collecting her papers.
 
“Hey, let me read some of these!”  I leaned forward and snatched some papers.  She grabbed for them, but I held them away so she couldn’t reach.  She pouted and sat on the floor with her arms crossed.  I skimmed the paper.  “She’s got some talent…” 
 
“What’d you say?” 
 
I looked up.  “Oh, I like them.  Very sweet and original.”  I handed her the papers with a smile.        
 
She returned the smile.  “Thanks.” 
 
We sat awkwardly for a minute.  “So, uh…” I cleared my throat.  “Hey, do you want me to help you?” 
 
She gave me a funny look and spread her papers on the floor. “No, it’s fine, thanks though.”  She paid no more attention to me.  
 
I opened my mouth in indignation.  “I offered my help, I don’t do that a lot…” 
 
She didn’t look up.  “It’s fine, Youngmin.”
 
I had to stay longer.  “Well then… Okay.  Can I just sit here and chill with you?” 
 
She looked up this time.  “Sure,” she smiled.  She focused on her work again.  
 
The morning sun shined through the window and hit her hair just right where it brought out the brown highlights in the pieces of hair that had fallen out of the messy bun, made shadows on her face that highlighted her soft cheekbones and jaw line--   
 
“Hey, Youngmin?” 
 
I shook my head.  “Oh, yeah?”
 
She bit her lip.  “Can you help me with this part?” 
 
“Sure.”  I moved from the chair to the floor closer to her.  “Which part?” 
 
She gave me the paper.  “Just the bridge.  I’m stuck on it.” 
 
I read through the song.  “Hm… Okay, I got it.”  I slid closer to her so we could both read the paper.  “After this, you should use juxtaposition for the song to have a bit of an impact, like a punch.”  I picked up the pencil and wrote on it.  “It’ll flow of course since it’s the bridge, but that way it mixes it up a little.”
 
Yoomi craned her neck over me to read.  I could smell her strawberry shampoo she was so close.  “That sounds nice.”
 
I gave her the pencil and scooted away as quickly as possible.  “Yup, just like that.” 
 
“Thanks, Youngmin,” she smiled.  She took the paper and started writing again.  She stopped and looked at me.  “Youngmin, why are you so nice all of a sudden?” 
 
“I’m always nice,” I scoffed.  
 
She made a face.  “Uh… I don’t think so.” 
 
“What do you mean?  I’m nice, always nice.”  I ruffled my bangs and flashed her a smile.  
 
She shook her head.  “Okay, whatever you say…” She turned her attention to the paper.     
 
My eyes fell from her eyes and traveled down to her oversized shirt, down her grey yoga pants, down to her house slippers.  How can she look so cute when she looks nothing special?
 
“Yoomi, did you hear that?”  I scanned the room for the thumping noise. 
 
“Hear what?” She looked out the window.  “If you’re talking about the birds chirping, then yeah, I guess,” she giggled.  
 
“No, never mind…” She went back to her work and I looked around the room again.  My chest tingled and I rubbed it.  My eyes widened.  Was it my heart?  I tilted my head and touched my chest.  My heart pulsed faster than it had ever been.  “It can’t be,” I mumbled.  I glanced at her concentrating on her work.  “I can’t possibly like her…” 
 
She looked up.  “Ya, Youngmin?” 
 
I blinked. “Yeah?” 
 
“Want some breakfast?  I put toast in before I came in here and they’re done.”  She stood and walked in the kitchen.  
 
“Aish, I came down here just to get food, why did I come over here?” I said to myself.  “I’ll be in there, I’ll get Kwangmin first!” I called in to her.  Before I could do anything else I’d regret, I ran up to Kwangmin’s room.     
 
 
Kwangmin’s POV
 
I saw Youngmin running up the stairs.  “Aish!”  I shut my door and leaned against it.  “Is it just me or do they look close now?  I thought Youngmin didn’t like her… And more importantly, she doesn’t like him either...” I frowned.  I took a deep breath.  “Kwangmin, get a hold of yourself!  They’ll be family soon, they were just trying to be nice with each other.”  I nodded.  “That’s it…”  But I couldn’t get the image of his stare and the sound of her giggle out of my head.  
 
“Kwangmin!”  A pound on the door followed Youngmin’s call.  “Yoomi’s making breakfast, join us if you want!”  
 
“Coming!”  I listened to his footsteps quickly disappear.  Youngmin and Yoomi alone again?  I shook my head.  Like I’d let that happen again.  Youngmin interest was suspicious… I fixed my hair and pulled a t-shirt over my head.  
 
When I walked down the stairs, I could hear laughter from the kitchen.  My chest clenched up.  I walked in the kitchen where Youngmin waited impatiently for breakfast.  He saw me come in and waved.  “Yoomi-ah, I’m glad you weren’t our cook with that slowness!” 
 
She laughed.  “Youngmin--” She turned around with a tray of toast.  “Oh, good morning Kwangmin oppa!” Her smile made my heart skip a beat.  
 
“Morning, Yoomi,” I said.  I glared at Youngmin as she passed me to the table.  
 
“You came just in time, breakfast is ready!” she said.  
 
Youngmin raised an eyebrow at me and turned his attention to Yoomi.  “Good, I’m starving!” He pushed past me and slid in his chair at the table.  
 
I sat at the table next to Yoomi.  Youngmin’s face was in his toast.  “Hey Yoomi, our parents are coming over tonight,” I said.  I took a piece of toast and took a bite.  
 
“Really?  What time?  Do I need to make something for them?”  She stood up and looked around the kitchen. 
 
I touched her arm and smiled.  “No--” 
 
“Nah, they’re bringing something for us,” Youngmin interrupted.  He took a sip from his milk.       
 
Yoomi sat down.  “Okay,” she smiled.  
 
I took back my arm and went back to eating.  Youngmin grinned at her and she laughed, then ate her own toast.  I looked at Youngmin, then Yoomi.  Do they like each other?  They haven’t gotten along until now.  It was ridiculous, but the thought wouldn’t leave me.  I hoped I was just overreacting.  
 
 
Youngmin’s POV
 
I saw Kwangmin’s face and knew I went too far.  I glanced at Yoomi and back to my food.  Why is it so easy to like her?  Why does it have to be her?  She’s Kwangmin’s girl, I can’t let myself ruin… I swallowed hard.  I pushed my plate away.  “Heck!  This is nasty!”
 
Yoomi laughed.  “Youngmin, you ate the most of it, how can you say that now?” 
 
I stopped.  Kwangmin looked at me expectantly.  “I was trying to be nice,” I blurted.  “I can’t take it anymore, that was the worst ever,” I rambled.  I gulped down the last of my milk and slammed it on the table.  I avoided Yoomi’s eyes.  
 
“Well I don’t know about Youngmin, but I think it tastes amazing.” Kwangmin bit a large bite out of his.  
 
“Well yeah, you’d say that Kwangmin.  Try your best finishing it, don’t throw up afterwards.”  I stood and strode out of the kitchen without looking anywhere in Yoomi’s direction.    
 
 
Yoomi’s POV
 
I took a deep breath and drank some of my water.  Kwangmin smiled at me.  “Kwangmin, did I do something wrong?  Why does he hate me so much?” I watched Youngmin storm into the living room, drop on the couch, and turn on the TV, his arms crossed.  
 
Kwangmin followed my gaze and looked back.  “Yoomi, he doesn’t hate you, he just hasn’t adapted to this yet.  He’ll get used to it soon.” He ruffled my hair.  “Now let me help you with the dishes.”
 
 
Author’s POV
 
Yoomi ran to the door.  “They’re always on time,” she said to herself.  She smoothed her shirt and smiled as she slowly opened the door.  Mr. and Mrs. Jo stood behind the door carrying three boxes of pizza.  
 
“Hello!” She bowed and opened the door wide enough for them to come in.  
 
Mrs. Jo gave her a warm hug.  “How are you sweetie?” 
 
“I’m fine, thank you.”  Yoomi reached for the boxes in Mr. Jo’s hands.  
 
“It’s fine, Yoomi, I’ll let the boys take these in,” he laughed.  
 
“Hi Mom, hi Dad!” 
 
“Speak of the devils!”  Yoomi, Mr. and Mrs. Jo laughed.  
 
They tilted their heads at the same time.  “What?” they said in unison. 
 
“Nothing boys.  Kwangmin, Youngmin, are you being nice to Yoomi?” Mr. Jo asked.  He handed the boxes to Youngmin.  
 
“I’m always nice to her,” Kwangmin insisted.  He put an arm around her waist and pulled her close.  
 
“Of course, why do we even ask?“ Mrs. Jo laughed.  Her eyes fell on Youngmin.  “Now here’s the one we need to ask.”   
 
“I--I…” Youngmin stuttered. 
 
“I’m starving, I’m sure your parents are too Youngmin, put the pizza out on the table!” Yoomi said quickly.  Youngmin looked at Yoomi who was staring at him.  He broke off their eye contact and left to the kitchen.  
 
“The dining room looks lovely, I assume it was all you, Yoomi?” Mrs. Jo asked.  
 
Yoomi nodded and blushed. “Yes, Mrs. Jo.” 
 
They sat at the table, Youngmin across the table from Yoomi and Kwangmin at her side.  
 
“Yoomi, I heard you work at a preschool?” Mrs. Jo asked.  
 
“Mom, the preschool she works at is our preschool!” Kwangmin beamed. 
 
“Oh really?  That’s nice,” Mr. Jo smiled.
 
Kwangmin put a piece of pizza on Mr. Jo’s  plate.  “She’s a very good song writer too.”
 
Yoomi pushed his shoulder.  “No, I’m really not,“ she blushed.
 
Youngmin looked up.  That’s why she was there at the time with Kwangmin… Youngmin thought back to the time he accused her of seducing Kwangmin and winced.  Sorry Yoomi… 
 
“Oh really?  Maybe we’ll have to find a job for you as a song writer,” Mr. Jo said.  
 
“Oh no, you don’t have to!” 
 
“We’ll work something out.” Mr. Jo nodded to Mrs. Jo.  
 
“Mom, Dad, you heard her.  She doesn’t want the job,” Youngmin said with his mouth full.  “Kwangmin, have you even heard her songs, they’re lame and have bad pitches.” 
 
Kwangmin leaned toward Youngmin.  “Youngmin, stop it,” he whispered, “I saw everything this morning, I know you like them.”  He sat back in his seat.  Youngmin looked from Kwangmin to Yoomi.  Their eyes met and she stared down at her plate.  
 
“Kwangmin, who says I like them?” he sputtered.  “They were the iest songs I ever heard!”  He didn’t want to see Yoomi’s face, knowing it would hurt her more than earlier that morning.  He almost knocked over his chair leaving the table and rushed out of the dining room.  
 
“Youngmin!”  Mr. Jo called after him.  Youngmin ignored him and ran up the stairs. 
 
“I’m not letting this happen again,” Kwangmin said under his breath and followed Youngmin.  The dining room fell silent.  
 
Mrs. Jo turned to Yoomi.  “Youngmin can be a little harsh, I’m sure his brother getting married is still a shock to him--” 
 
Yoomi forced a smile.  “It’s okay.  They’re really not that good, Kwangmin’s just too nice.”  
 
“Why don’t you give me some of your songs and I’ll be the judge of that?” Mr. Jo asked.  
 
Yoomi nodded and walked to the living room where her folder still laid on the table.  She brought the folder to Mr. Jo.  He opened the folder and read through them.
 
 
Youngmin’s POV
 
Kwangmin had me cornered in my own room.  “What is wrong with you?  Huh?”  I crossed my arms.  “Why are you always so mean to her?”
 
“One simple answer.  I don’t like her.  Do I have to?”  I pushed past him to the closed door.  
 
Kwangmin slammed me into the wall.  My eyes widened and he held onto my shoulder.  “Please.  I know you don’t hate her,” he said evenly.  
 
“I’m sorry I don’t like your girlfriend, but that’s the truth.  I don’t like her.  Now will you let me go?”  I moved forward, but he pushed me against the wall again.  
 
“I saw you today.  Youngmin, I know when you like a girl, and you like her.  You’re playing with her and I don’t like it.”  He moved his face closer to mine.  “If you yank Yoomi around one more time, don’t ask why I hit you.”  He released me and took a step back. 
 
My mouth dropped.  “Kwangmin, you’re freaking me out, we’ve never fought like this before.”  He turned his back to me.  “Just because of a girl that you haven’t known for more than a week, you’re grabbing my collar and ready to hit me any second!”  I walked to his side.  “C’mon, what’s got into you?”
 
Kwangmin looked down at his hands.  I followed his gaze and saw him slowly release a fist.  
 
“Youngmin, it’s something you couldn’t understand.”  He met my eyes.  “I’m disappointed in you.  You’ve got problems.”  He opened the door and stopped at the threshold.  “I’m serious, Youngmin.  Be honest with Yoomi.  Don’t mess with her anymore.  I don’t know what I’ll do if you do.”  He kept walking back to the kitchen.
 
I stood there in my room alone.  I turned to see my reflection in the mirror.  Yoomi's really too good for me.  Kwangmin’s my brother… “Aish!” I yelled as I punched the wall next to my mirror.  
 
------------------------
Okay guys!! about the disorder Kwangmin has, you guys will find that out soon :)