Recaps 1

Water Maze

(I know it’s been a while so the next 2 chapters will be recaps for you guys.)

 

“Thanks a lot Yoomi, without you I don’t know how I’d handle these kids sometimes,” Mrs. Kim said behind me.

 

I turned around a smiled. “You’re welcome! I’m glad to help out anytime.”  I felt a vibration in my back pocket.  I took it out and I looked at the number- it was from my mom. “Excuse me,“ I said to her and walked outside.

 

“Hey mom!” 

 

“Yoomi, can you go home early today?” I could hear street noises in the background.

 

“I can, but why?” I paced.  “Are you outside?”

 

She ignored my questions. “We have an appointment at three so come to La Grande Nourriture.”

 

I looked through the window at the kids napping soundly. “But why do I have to be there?” 

 

“Just please, and dress nicely.  It‘s a nice restaurant.” She hung up.

 

“Umma, why am I here, you know I was at the school!  What could be so import-” Four unfamiliar people sat with my mom around the table, two boys my age and two adults, I assumed their parents. “Oh, annyeonghaseyo,” I said, embarrassed. 

 

“So umma… Why am I here?” I asked hesitantly.  I glanced to my right, and the dark haired boy was staring at me.  I nodded awkwardly and he smiled.  I smiled back.  He had a cute smile, I had to admit.    

 

My mom laughed. “Oh yes, almost forgot!  Before you were born, your father and I negotiated with Mr. and Mrs. Jo our children would be betrothed, and now that you and their boys are now of age…” she trailed off, knowing I’d come to the conclusion. 

 

“I’m sorry honey, but I- no, we- think you and Kwangmin would make a good couple,” she replied. 

 

I looked slowly to my right.  I hope she meant the dark haired one- the blond one looked like he’d rather be anywhere but here.  Asians with blond hair- did he think he was cool or something?

 

“Yoomi, just curious, why didn’t you guess Youngmin?” my mom asked.  I hesitated.  I didn’t want to be rude, but she did ask. 

 

“Because…” I paused. “Because I don’t really like Asians with blonde hair.” 

 

This grabbed Youngmin’s attention.  He glared at me. “Well good thing you didn’t get your hopes up, I don’t like short girls,” he retorted.

 

“Well at least short girls are cute to somebody, while Asians trying to be blond is a major turn-off for everyone.” I shot back.  He smirked and looked away.  

 

“That smirk ain’t y,” I muttered loud enough for him to hear me.  I felt my mom’s eyes burning into me.  

 

“Why don’t we leave you two alone so you can get to know each other?” Mrs. Jo had enthusiasm written all over her face.

 

“So, uh, what school do you go to?” I asked.

 

“I go to Performing Arts High School.” 

 

My eyes widened and I sat facing him. “Really?  Me too!  But I'm on a scholarship…

—————————-

 

“How long did you wait at my house?  I hope not too long,” I said as we left the shop. 

 

“Not too long, like five minutes.”

 

“Good thing I woke up early today,” I smiled and sipped my tea.  He smiled back and we continued our walk to school.  

 

It took awhile, but the walk was definitely worth it.  Kwangmin walked us over to the trashcans outside the school and threw away our cups.  Many students already milled about with ten minutes before class.  I could feel people’s stares boring into me, but I ignored them.   

 

I heard my best friend’s voice ring across the room. “Yoomi!”

 

I turned around. “Oh Hwayoung!” I waved to her.  She beamed and made her way over. “Hwayoung, I want to introduce you to my friend, this is-”

 

She cut me off. “Kwangmin!” She waved.  Kwangmin smiled and waved back. 

 

“How did you know?” 

 

“Because of their parents and their good looks, they’re like the F4 of Seoul Performing Arts… but two.  This is why I’m the more social one,” she teased and pushed my shoulder.

————————————

 

Kwangmin’s POV

 

Walking with Yoomi to her preschool made me think of how happy I was to be with her.  Ever since she first walked into the restaurant, I knew she was the one and I thanked every star that I was getting married, not Youngmin.  I knew she was talking to me on our way there, but I couldn’t hear her.

 

She dragged me up the steps and opened the door for us.  As I slipped off my shoes, I looked around the room.  “This looks familiar… This is where Youngmin and I went to preschool!” 

 

“Should I?  If I do, will you take care of me like you do for the kids?”  I tried not to smile, but couldn’t help it.

 

“If you act like one and listen to me well, then sure.  Why not?” She turned to go inside. 

 

“Okay then!  I will act like a little kid from now on!” I blocked her from walking and bent to her level in aegyo stance.  “Miss Yoomi!  I’m hungry!  Feed me!  Feed me!” 

 

She giggled. “Stop it Kwangmin, the kids or their teacher might see you!” She lightly pushed my arm away. 

 

“Kwangmin?” 

 

I looked up, surprised. “Youngmin?”

 

“I was just walking around and I heard some singing and I wanted to know who it was.”  Youngmin ruffled his hair subconsciously.  “But I know it wasn’t you, so I don’t know who else it could be.”  His eyes fell on Yoomi. “Tsk.  Should’ve known,” he said under his breath.

  

He raised his eyes and nodded, seemingly satisfied.  His eyes narrowed and he bent closer. “Are you trying to seduce my brother?”

 

“You-!” She held a hand a smack him, but I lightly tapped her arm.  I caught her eye and tried to signal we were still at her work.  She lowered it.  “Forget it,” she said, staring at Youngmin. 

 

He met her eyes.  Without missing a beat he smirked. “You go nothing to say because it must be true.” 

 

“Will you make yourself welcome at our house?  Spend the night maybe-” 

 

Yoomi’s hand cracked on Youngmin’s face.  His mouth gaped open and he put a hand to the red mark on his cheek.

 

Youngmin’s arm raised.  Without thinking, I stretched out mine just as it came down.  I winced and pulled my arm back.  Youngmin’s face paled.  

 

“Youngmin, just leave.”

 

He reached for my arm. “Kwangmin, are-”

 

“Youngmin.” His eyes fell from mine to my arm.  “I’ll be fine.  Please?”

 

—————————-

“So happy today’s sunny, a Saturday that isn’t sunny is so ugh!” Hwayoung spun around on the sidewalk.

 

Yoomi laughed.  “Ya, Hwayoung, let’s get some ice cream from over there!”  She pointed across the street where a small shop advertised brightly, “Ice Cream!” 

 

 Yoomi’s phone interrupted Hwayoung’s indignation.

 

Yoomi stood. “Mom called and said she’s going to my aunt’s with Hyojin so I have to sleep at Kwangmin’s for tonight and tomorrow.”  She led the way out of the shop.  

 

Hwayoung turned around and Kwangmin’s car next to them. 

 

“Hwayoung!  You look so cute doing aegyo!”

 

“Oh no.”  Hwayoung turned to Yoomi.  “Hide me.” She ducked behind Yoomi.

 

“Why…?”

 

Kwangmin’s car barely parked and the passenger door flew open.  

 

“Hwayoung!” Minwoo sprinted from the car to Hwayoung in less than two seconds.  

 

Her shoulders dropped.  “That’s why,” she rolled her eyes. 

 

Footsteps echoed through the room and everyone looked to the stairs.  Youngmin stood halfway down them.  “Kwangmin, finally you’re home, I wanted to ask you…” He trailed off and his eyes rested on Yoomi.  “Shortie?” He walked down the stairs again.

 

Hwayoung leaned over to Yoomi.  “He calls you ‘Shortie’?” she whispered. 

 

Minwoo leaned over to Hwayoung. “I can call you ‘shawty’,” he whispered.  Hwayoung slowly turned her head to him and glared.  He stepped away quickly.

 

“Youngmin, go upstairs,” Kwangmin sighed.  

 

Youngmin stopped in front of Yoomi  “Well hello there,” he ignored Kwangmin, “So you accepted my offer from yesterday.”

 

Yoomi looked confused. “Offer?”  He smirked and she suddenly remembered his egging on.  “Youngmin!” she screamed.  

 

“Just go upstairs, I’ll deal with you later.”  Kwangmin pushed him away. 

 

It’s fine, Kwangmin, it’s his house too… Unfortunately.” She frowned at Youngmin and touched Kwangmin’s arm.

 

“Eh!” He jerked his arm away from Yoomi. 

 

“Kwangmin?  Are you okay?” 

 

“I’m fine…” he winced. 

 

Youngmin’s eyes darted from Kwangmin’s arm to his eyes. “Did you take your medicine this morning?” he said seriously.  No teasing or harshness existed, he was a completely different person.  Kwangmin nodded.