Mr. Lee

More Than Friends

“Psst. Shinhye.” A very familiar and annoying voice called out from the side but I chose to ignore it and continued doing my work. I was deep into the professor’s lecture, writing down notes as I listen.

“Shinhye.” The voice called out again but I chose to ignore it a second time.

“Shinhye.” Third.

“Shinhye.” Fouth.

“Shinhye.” Fifth…

“Psst.” 

I shot a glare over to the side to see a smiling Jay waving at me, “What?” I whispered, clearly showing that I was annoyed in my tone.

“I’m bored.” He rested his head down on the desk, facing me. I faced the professor again and continued writing down notes. I don’t understand why he’s at school with me anyways. He doesn’t have any classes so why isn’t he out somewhere? “What do you want me to do?”

“Entertain me.” He said in a “duh” tone.

“In case you haven’t noticed, I’m in a class right now.”

“Oh I noticed.” I narrowed my eyes at him and he just smirked.

“Ms. Shinhye, I prefer it if you and our guest didn’t talk in the middle of our lesson.” The voice made me look to the front of the room and there stood the professor staring directly at me and Jay with a disapproving look. In response, I simply bowed my head down. “I’m sorry sir, it won’t happen again.”

From the side, Jay tsked. “Stop talking Shinhye.”

I shot him another glare and sighed before focusing on the lecture again. You’re the one who got me in trouble.

 

Class went by without any more interruption and the bell rang, signaling that class was over. The students gathered their books and left the room. I was still packing up, taking my sweet time and Jay waited for me. As much as I wanted to leave school as soon as possible, I didn’t like to rush and end up forgetting something. I always did that a lot. I looked to the front again and saw my professor sitting at his desk, working on a few papers. I tilted my head as I analyzed my professor. He was pretty young-looking, about in his middle 20s like Jay. He was also pretty attractive but I didn’t admit it out loud. I grabbed my stuff and walked towards his desk.

The young professor glanced up from his papers and his eyes fixated on me as I neared his desk. “Oh Shinhye.” He said while his mouth formed a small ‘o.’

I giggled a bit at his cute expression and bowed slightly, mentally cursing myself. I’m not in Korea. “Hello Mr. Lee.”

He blinked before smiling, “Please call me Donghae. Mr. Lee is too formal for my taste.”

“But… you’re my teacher. Isn’t it right to address you in such a manner?” I tilted my head.

He shook his head, “No it’s alright if you call me Donghae.”

“Okay then… D-donghae.” I stuttered, blushing from embarrassment in which I earned a light chuckle from him.

“Yes? What did you come to me for?” He focused on his papers again.

“Oh... I just wanted to apologize for disrupting the class…” I rubbed the back of my head.

He glanced up and gave me a small smile before looking back down, “Don’t worry about it.”

“Are you sure?”

He replied with a nod and starting writing small marks on the papers in front of him. I looked at the papers and saw the familiar format. I leaned down close to get a better look. “Are those the test papers from last week?”

“Mhmm. Still grading them. This is the last pile.”

“Oh… I hope you’re not overworking yourself.” I looked at him with a worried expression.

He laughed and shook his head, “I appreciate your concern but I’m alright. No need to worry about me.”

I looked at him and smiled, letting his laugh ring through my ears. His laugh was seriously soothing. This man was really attractive in a lot of ways.

“That test was really easy.” I grinned.

“Well I’ll be expecting a good grade from you right?” I nodded.

 

(Jay’s POV)

I watched the two interact from across the room with my hands stuffed in my pockets. They looked really comfortable with each other. I scoffed and looked away. How could a teacher and a student openly flirt like that? Don’t they know that a student-teacher relationship is bad? My gaze went back to them and I felt my heart ache.

Shinhye was so close to the young-looking teacher and they were both smiling and laughing. I looked at my watch, my patience wearing thin. It’s been like 10 minutes. When are we leaving? I had the urge to call Shinhye over and tell her to leave but I didn’t want to be rude. The two looked like they were enjoying their time and I didn’t want to seem uptight. I also resisted the urge to try to listen in on their conversation.

So I remained quiet, shooting menacing glances at the teacher who was clearly flirting with my “girlfriend.” Well she isn’t really my girlfriend but it’s nice to dream right? I’m pathetic. The teacher looked over to me and I quickly reverted my eyes to the side, hoping he didn’t just see me. I then heard Shinhye saying goodbye and saw her walking towards me with a confused expression.

“Why didn’t you wait outside?” She asked once she was close.

I shrugged and I rested my hand on her back, softly pushing her to the exit. “I wanted to watch you flirt with your teacher.”

We walked side by side and she looked at me, tilting her head. “I wasn’t flirting with him.”

I hummed in disbelief.

“Seriously I wasn’t.” She pouted which was the cutest thing ever.

“Right.” I kept my tone sarcastic. I was still a bit upset so it wasn’t hard.

I felt a tug on my arm and I looked at her. She pulled me to a stop and she had a serious look on her face. “Jay, I wasn’t flirting…”

“He may be good-looking but I wouldn’t date him.” She continued when I stayed silent.

I smiled, instantly feeling happy. “Why not?”

She looked down and murmured, “Because… he’s my teacher… and… I like someone else… already.”

My ears perked up and I leaned in closer, her leaning back a bit in response. “Who do you like?”

I saw a faint red on her cheeks and she avoided my eyes, “Y-you don’t need to know.” She stuttered, trying to have attitude in her voice but she failed greatly.

I stood back up straight and pouted, “But I’m your best friend.”

“You’ll find out eventually.” She sighed and continued walking. I decided to drop the conversation and caught up with her, us walking side by side again.

“What are you going to do today?” I asked, making small talk.

“I’m hanging out with Min Jee. What about you?”

“Gonna buy something else for my special someone.”

I saw her scrunch her nose in response. “Well, have fun.” She replied coldly before leaving me and taking out her phone.

 

*A/N: I honestly really had writer's block so excuse this late update and short/bad chapter. Please keep leaving coments... ;~;