The Day We Met

More Than Friends

After school, you and Min Jee met up at your locker and tried making plans for the rest of the evening.

“I heard there was a new café near school. You want to check it out?” Min Jee suggested.

You nodded, “Yeah sure.” You returned the books you didn’t need for the day and closed your locker, making sure that the padlock was secured and looked at Min Jee, “Kaja.”

At this time, you were a sophomore in high school and it was around fall and winter so the weather was pretty cold. You and your parents moved to New York from Seoul a year ago because life was getting pretty tough there. You were devastated at first since you left your friends there but that was before you met Min Jee who had always been there for you and made your life better. Her and her family moved to New York from Seoul too.

The café was pretty decent. It had brick walls and it looked like any normal café. The workers wore a white shirt and black dress pants with a small apron around their waist. A majority of the employees were Asian so you assumed that this was probably an Asian café; Korean to be exact. Not to mention that the chalkboard that listed their specials had Hangul letters and writing on them so guessing that the café was Korean was a no-brainer. Unless you know, you’re stupid or ‘mentally challenged’ as someone would say.

“Woah, it looks pretty!” Min Jee explained with open in awe.

You nodded, “Yeah it is.” You looked around and saw a certain person that caught your attention. He was wearing a navy blue jacket with a grey hood and his hair was shaped like a fohawk. His hair on the side had a zigzag design and his skin looked milky white. He looked like he had single eyelids and pink plump lips. He was gorgeous. For a stranger you just saw, you would definitely hit that. He had a camera beside him on the table. You wondered why he had a camera… You didn’t notice that you were staring straight at him with your mouth hanging slightly open till Min Jee nudged you.

“Yah, what do you want?”

“I’ll just get a Frappuccino.”

The gorgeous stranger looked up at you and took a good look. Strangely, you got his attention like he did to you. He smiled and sipped his coffee, still having his eye on you while you and Min Jee waited for your drinks. You turned your head to the side to look at him as your Frappuccino was passed to you and saw him looking directly at you. He gave you a warm smile and waved at you which caused you to blush a little and you quickly turned your face back to where Min Jee was.

What? I’m blushing because of a stranger? What the hell was going on here?

“You okay? You’re a bit red.” Min Jee asked with a weird expression.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” You answered before looking back at the guy who was still smiling right at you. I love his smile…

                                                A Week Later…

It seems that going to the café after school has become a routine for Min Jee and you. You didn’t mind though. Why? Because you got to see the gorgeous stranger every day and he always waved and smiled at you every time your eyes met.

“!” Min Jee yelled in a whispered tone.

You looked at her weirdly, “Bwoh?”

She was looking at the time, hurriedly gathering her things. “I forgot that I had to help my mom with something after school. I’m gonna have to leave early. Bye Shinhye~!” She said before leaving out the door. And now you were there, sitting alone. The guy then picked up his stuff and walked towards you.

“Hey. Can I sit here?” A warm and kind of deep voice asked.

You looked up to the voice and your eyes widened a bit. “U-uh… Sure.”

He smiled and sat in the chair in front of you.

You didn’t know what to make of this situation. You didn’t know the guy so what possible conversations could you have?

“What’s your name?”

“I’m Shinhye. What about you?”

“I’m Jay. Jay Park.”

Jay Park? Where have you heard that name before? You furrowed your eyebrows as you thought deep about the familiar name.

He leaned close to you and tapped your shoulder, “You okay?”

You snapped out of your train of thought and responded, “Yeah, I’m just trying figure out where I’ve heard that name before.”

Jay chuckled and leaned back in his chair, “Have you ever heard of Kpop?”

Your eyes lit up and you gasped, standing up in your chair and leaning closer to Jay. “How can I not know about Kpop? It is so awesome! I love Kpop! The guys are so ing hot! Like oh my go—”

You stopped your sentence when you noticed that everyone in the café was staring at you in a weird in an annoyed way and slowly sat back down, blushing from the embarrassment and covering your eyes.

Jay’s eyes widened at your outburst and he let out a chuckle, “What about the guys?”

You glared at him, “Shush.”

Jay’s put his hand up in surrender, “Okay, okay.

“Tch.”

He smiled, “Do you know 2pm?”

You looked at him and lifted an eyebrow.

He soon felt a bit disappointed at your answer.

“Yeah, I know them.” You smiled and he perked up.

“Who’s your bias?”

“My bias?” You stayed in silence as you went in thought. “Park Jaebeom.” You answered with a big smile.

A huge smile came upon his face and he felt really happy, he didn’t know why. But that didn’t matter right now. “Chinja?”

You nodded quickly with an eye smile. Thinking about Jaebeom really made you happy. He was so handsome, his voice was amazing and his dancing skills were awesome.

Jay crossed his arms and smiled widely, “What is his American name?”

“Jay Park.”

He nodded and stayed in silence, waiting for a reaction.

You gasped and your eyes widened 3x as big as your normal one. You stood up and leaned again. “JAY PARK! YOU’RE JAY PARK!” You exclaimed.

“Shhh!” The people in the café looked at you with the same expressions as before and you sat back down, completely red this time and looked at Jay who was laughing.

“Ding! Ding! Ding!” He imitated the sound of a bell and leaned close to your ear. “I’m Park Jaebeom.” He whispered