He's Back...

More Than Friends

(A/N: All of the italics are the thoughts, just to let you know ^-^)

It was a warm Saturday in New York, a perfect day to go out and have fun. But you just wanted to stay home and be a complete lazy for the weekend. You’re a 20 year old Korean girl who moved to New York with your family. You are an all-rounder. You’re intelligent, athletic, artistic and a very good dancer. The only thing you weren’t really good at was swimming. But you definitely excelled in art and dance. You were just as good as the back-up dancers for Korean idols—probably better.  It seems that your life has been very busy since college. Your weekdays consisted of college lectures, dance practices and art classes—oh and the occasional job interviews. You were trying to get a job so you could easily pay off the monthly bills for the house you were currently living alone in and still have some extra money to buy things you want and help out at least a little with your family. Your weekdays were your only free time. So you really needed it.

“Ah~ what a good day.” You said to yourself as you relaxed your body on the warm couch in your living room. You had your head rested on a comfy pillow and your legs on the other arm of the couch. This was the perfect thing to do after your busy schedule.

Your cellphone rang and vibrated on the coffee table in front of you.

“Just be my girlfriend, my girlfriend, my girlfriend, my girl
Be my girlfriend, my girlfriend, my girlfriend, my girl
Narang sagyeojullae neorang haengbokhallae
Just be my girlfriend, my girlfriend, my girlfriend, my girlfriend, yeah”

That ringtone was specially assigned to that one person in your contacts. So you knew exactly who was calling. It was your best friend. The person you were close since you were just 15 years old—so 5 years. You looked at it with a blank expression. Deciding if you should get up from your comfortable spot to answer it or just let it ring and call them back later. You closed your eyes and let out a deep breath. I’ll just call back later. You thought. The phone kept ringing repeatedly and it was starting to annoy you. You sat up and reached for your phone while letting out a big sigh. You looked at the caller ID for a while as it blinked in big letters “Jaebeom <3” and pressed the CALL button on your phone, putting it near your ear.

“Hello?”

“Yo.” He answered with his ghetto but cute American accent.

“Yeah?”

“Sup man?”

“Nothing. What do you want?” you asked in an annoyed tone.

“You okay?”

“Yeah. What do you want?”

“You don’t seem okay?.. What’s wrong?”

“Dude. Nothing’s wrong. What the do you want?!”

“Aye yo, is it that special month again?”

“No. Last chance. What. Do. You. Want?!”

“Are you sure?”

“I’m hanging up.” You said before abruptly pressing the END button on your phone. In a matter of seconds he called back and you answered in silence without hesitation.

“Hello? Yeah, okay fine. Shinhye?”

“Hm?”

“Can you do me a huge favor?”

You scrunched your eyebrows together, “Favor? What favor?”

“You see, I’m back in New York for a break to you know, chill, take a break.”

“Uh huh~?”

“And uh, I don’t have a place to stay so—“

“You need me to book a hotel for you?”

“No—“

“You want me to ask one of my friends?”

“No—“

“You want—“

“Hey Shinhye?”

“Yeah?”

“Can you be quiet for a minute?”

“Yeah sure.”

“Do you still live alone?”

“Yeah.”

“Do you have an extra room?”

“Yeah. There’s a guest room here.”

“Can I stay at your house for a bit?”

M-my house? It was weird. Just the thought of it made your body tingle. You and him—living together—alone. Who knows what will happen. You stayed in silence.

“Shinhye? You there?”

You snapped out of your train of thought, “H-huh? What?”

“So… Can I?”

“Wae?”

“Cuz’ you know, we’re like besties yo and uh... I just thought that it would be less trouble to ask… Are you okay with it?”

“Um, yeah sure…”

“Great. I’ll head straight there after I get my luggage.”

“Arrasso~ you still know my address right?”

“Yee.”

“Kay. I’ll talk to you later.”  You said before pressing the END button on the phone.

You’re phone beeped indicating an unread message. You opened it to find a text from Jay.

Jaebeom <3: [Thanks Shinhye means a lot.]

Sent: [It’s fine. Hey Jay?]

Jaebeom <3: [Yeah?]

Sent: [Sorry that I ed at you earlier… I was kind of relaxing…]

Jaebeom: [It’s fine. You can tell me later when I get there. Now I’ll talk to you later kay? Don’t worry about me.]

 

Just that little text conversation made you smile. It was always easy for him to have that small curve on your face, almost effortless. You didn’t mean to be a to him. He didn’t do anything wrong after all. So it was right to say sorry for your outburst.

You put your phone back on the coffee table and tried to regain your comfortable spot on the couch. You the TV to rid of the awkward silence in the house. You flipped through channels, trying to find something good on and stopped when you came across one of Jay’s concerts being broadcasted.

Jay completely mesmerized you. Everything about him was amazing. The camera zoomed in on his face revealing his soft looking skin, his single-lidded eyes that brought out his manly image and his pink plump lips that you just wanted to be pressed up against your skin. He did his hip s and body rolls which caused the fans to scream louder than before.

Of course, you went crazy too. You squirmed around on the couch and covered your mouth from screaming too much so the neighbors won’t think that you’re in some kind of danger or something. God, this is the power of Jay effect. Once someone became a Jaywalker, every single move that Jay does causes their ovaries to explode. Even you—the best friend of Jay for 5 years—can’t handle the iness. But honestly, watching him on stage is like . He’s like  on legs.

He looked awesome on stage, his dance moves are just like… wow. He looked like he didn’t even have bones on him. His voice sounded AH-MAY-ZING. He sounded like an angel. He didn’t even need music. He could just sing acapella and it sounds like heaven.  His style was sort of a “bad boy” look and the tattoos he had looked so y—especially that lion on his chest.

Damn. My best friend is amazing… You bit your lip and began hitting the side of your head with the palm of your hand.

“Stop it Shinhye. He’s your best friend… and only your best friend… sadly…” You said to yourself and looked down at the carpet floor with a gloomy expression.

You liked him. That’s all there was to it. You were attracted to him; physically and emotionally. A lot. You couldn’t shake these feelings off of your mind. These feelings have been going on since your sophomore year and you managed to keep them hidden up to now. How long is it going to take? You desperately wanted to tell him but you were afraid of rejection and the possibility of a good friendship thrown into the garbage because of your feelings. He probably only thought of you as a friend or a dongsaeng—considering you too are 5 years apart.

(Jay’s POV)

Ah yes, it’s been a while since I’ve been to New York. I remember last summer. Things haven’t changed huh? It was a good idea to take a break after all of the performances with AOM & ILLIONARE and concerts for the fans. Man, I wish they could’ve came with me. Damn, it would’ve been so much fun.

My phone rang and I looked at the caller ID and scrunched my eyebrows. I didn’t have the number registered in my contacts. Who’s this? I thought and answered “Hello?”

“Hello. Is this Jay Park?” a man asked on the other line.

“Uh, yeah. Who’s this?”

“This is the manager for the hotel you booked at. It seems that we made a mistake and we don’t have an available room for you. We’re sorry for the inconvenience.”

“Oh no it’s fine. Thank you for telling me beforehand.”

“We appreciate you for being understanding.”

Hah. You’re just lucky I wasn’t there to punch someone in the face. What kind of mistake did they do? What the ? Anyways… now I have nowhere to stay. , I’m screwed.

I looked at my phone and scrolled through my contacts. I smiled when I saw my best friend’s name and came to a realization. Oh wait, Shinhye lives in New York. I should call her. I thought, dialed her number and placed the phone near my ear, waiting for her to answer.

Hello. You have reached Shinhye Jeon’s voicemail. Leave a message or call again.” A robotic voice on the other line said.

Hm. I should call again… I thought before pressing the CALL button on the phone and brought the phone near my ear. It rang for a few seconds.

“Hello?” a voice answered.

“Yo.”

“Yeah?”

“Sup man?”

“Nothing. What do you want?” she asked.

She sounded annoyed. Is something wrong with her? You thought.

“You okay?”

“Yeah. What do you want?”

“You don’t seem okay?.. What’s wrong?”

“Dude. Nothing’s wrong. What the do you want?!”

Hm, cursing. She probably has her period…

“Aye yo, is it that special month again?”

“No. Last chance. What. Do. You. Want?!”

She’s not on it? Then why is she acting like this?

“Are you sure?”

“I’m hanging up.”

She said before the call ended. I looked at my phone and called her again and she answered with silence.

“Hello? Yeah, okay fine. Shinhye?”

“Hm?”

“Can you do me a huge favor?”

 “Favor? What favor?”

“You see, I’m back in New York for a break to you know, chill, take a break.”

“Uh huh~?”

“And uh, I don’t have a place to stay so—“

“You need me to book a hotel for you?”

“No—“

“You want me to ask one of my friends?”

“No—“

“You want—“

Ugh. She won’t stop talking. Is it that hard to see that I want to stay with her?

“Hey Shinhye?”

“Yeah?”

“Can you be quiet for a minute?”

“Yeah sure.”

“Do you still live alone?”

“Yeah.”

“Do you have an extra room?”

“Yeah. There’s a guest room here.”

“Can I stay at your house for a bit?”

She stayed silent for a bit. I thought she hung up for a bit.

“Shinhye? You there?”

 “So… Can I?”

“Wae?”

“Cuz’ you know, we’re like besties yo and uh... I just thought that it would be less trouble to ask… Are you okay with it?”

“Um, yeah sure…”

“Great. I’ll head straight there after I get my luggage.”

“Arrasso~ you still know my address right?”

“Yee.”

“Kay. I’ll talk to you later.”  She said before we got off of the phone.

“Hm. What was that all about? Oh well, I’ll just take a cab to go there.” I said to myself before pulling my luggage to go outside of the airport. I waited till I saw a cab and raised my hand up to signal it and it drove to me. I put my luggage in the car and told the driver Shinhye’s address.

It’s a good thing that I have a place to stay now. Thank god my best friend said yes. I mean, I’m sure it was pretty weird for her. She lives alone and now all of a sudden a guy wants to be under the same roof as her. I’m so happy that we became best friends. She’s funny, intelligent, talented and… cute… very cute…

~

Jay finally arrived to your house and stood outside your front door.

*knock knock*

You got up from the couch and opened the door. You smiled as soon as you saw your best friend standing there, flashing you a charming smile that made you squeal inside every time you saw it—but you managed to keep cool.

He looked at you up and down for a few seconds before covering his mouth with his hand to hide his smirk. You looked at him in confusion, “Bwoh?”

“I like what you’re wearing.” He said before bringing his luggage in your house.

Still confused, you looked at him tilting your head till you realized that you were still wearing your Pikachu pajamas. You totally forgot! Oh. My. God. You thought before you blushed in embarrassment and tried to help with the last remaining luggage. He came up to you and leaned close to your ear and whispered, “It’s okay, you look cute—as always.” Before smiling at you and taking the luggage from your hand and bringing it inside. Your face turned completely red but not from embarrassment. Will I be able to hold my feelings in?..