Chapter 16 - Oshima Yuko

Underneath the Spring Colored Sky

That day, I see Atsuko going to the cherry blossom tree, the same tree that we talked under that spring day when my parents started fighting. She sits down under its yellow leaves and I take a seat next to her.

“I might be valedictorian.” Atsuko says as if she noticed me sitting next to her. Obviously she didn’t, she would have turned to me. I want to hug her in excitement. If anyone, she deserves it the most. “But I don’t care anymore. Sayaka Nakaya can have it. She can even take salutatorian.”

What? I know being valedictorian isn’t as impressive here because the senior class only has 30 people but it is still a title to want. Why doesn’t she want it?

“It doesn’t mean anything anymore. If I get it, I can celebrate with my parents. I can celebrate with Minami, Tomo, and Chiyuu maybe even Sayaka Akimoto even though she’s away for college.” She looks down and it seems like she’s about to cry. “But I really just want to celebrate with you, Yuko.”

“Please! Don’t give up!” I shout. Atsuko looks up with her eyes wide as if she heard me.

“Maybe I just heard the wind.” Atsuko tilts her head to the side.

I think that’s why when ghosts are around, people hear . Maybe we want to greet and welcome people but they can’t hear us properly and assume that the means irritation. But I haven’t been a ghost for very long and I don’t haunt any places so I wouldn’t know for sure.

“I wish I can see ghosts so that I can see you again.” Atsuko starts crying. “I miss your ‘Good morning.’ I miss your hand on my desk. I miss when we’d talk under this tree.”

And I start crying too. Atsuko, I miss shouting “Good morning” too. I miss placing my hand on your desk too. And most of all, I miss talking under this tree.

“Atsuko!” Atsuko and I turned around and see Minami, Tomo, and Chiyuu run up to Atsuko.

“I know how we can contact Yuko!” Minami says and Atsuko stands up, intrigued.

“How?” She looks into Minami’s eyes to see if there was any joking in it.

“Ouija board.” Minami grins.