Park Jiyeon

The Dark Melancholy of Choi Minho

 

“That is yours” Jiyeon said as she pointed out to a locker. Automatically, I grabbed the piece of paper where I have written my locker combination and opened my locker.

“Where’s your locker, ji?” I asked out trying to shiver away the silence that had enveloped us for almost one hour now.

She looked at me but her emotions were blank, well… except to her eyes, they were scared at the moment and I don’t know why.

“There,” she pointed to an outlying locker. I felt her unease and it made me uncomfortable.

“Jiyeon, do you know how to speak more words rather that only 1-3 words?” I muttered

Her eyes opened wide, surprised. And that was something because it was my first time to see her with emotion.

“You don’t know what you are asking for” she spoke, voice velvet soft. I glanced down at her to see that her eyes were now gentle but mysterious.

“You can’t know that,” I disagreed in a whisper. I shook my head doubtfully though I was troubled to what she had said and I wanted so badly to seek the meaning out of it.

“What makes you think so?” she whispered,” you are still new here… you don’t know what happened here and you don’t know what I know.”

I started to scowl; everyone is giving me riddles here rather than explanation. And I was getting frustrated at the thing that happened that they have been mumbling to me but won’t tell me what it is. Her silence and mysteriousness make my head even hotter.

“Okay then,” I hesitated as I closed my locker,” Tell me all that I needed to know so that I would survive.”

“Perceptive” she mumbled and eyed at me mischievously. And there was the frustration again but I tried to smile.

“That’s the exact point actually, to survive or in specific, to stay alive,” she begin to explain and I shuddered.

“Bell Gosa University is mysterious… it’s creepy. Scary but,” she stressed the word but” the university is actually famous, as what you had depict earlier, not only in Korea but also in the USA for its numerous studies about human anatomy.” She walked closer to me until our faces were only inches away. I gulped loudly and she smirked.

“If you have seen our population, I know we are few but the college students are numerous. Do you know the reason why?” she spoke out all in English.

“N-no” I muttered as I breathed slowly.

She gave me a casual look, but still mysterious and tarnished.

“It’s because the highschool department only experiences the dilemma,” she said coldly.

I blinked, astonished. “What dilemma?” I mumbled.

“There are things that you need to discover by yourself Minho” she pointed out, not breaking her stare at me.

I grunted.”You sure are KJ you know, I am not yet satisfied with your horror story.”

“This is not a horror story!” she hissed, “and I don’t care if you don’t believe it as long as you always watch out.” Her face was still casual.

“What do you mean by that?” I scoffed and raised an eyebrow.

“Brother of Junghyun, you came here not just only as a normal student but let me tell you, some eyes are watching you at the moment” she said with a wicked glint in her eyes. Behind her stares, the warning was real.

But I was still confused. “Why?” I blurted out as I glanced to all the corners around me but I noticed that she was still staring at me.

The final bell suddenly rang and the first sound of it made me jerk. I was expecting her to laugh at my reaction but she did not. AISH Weird girl, what a creeper.

“Our first period is vacant, I will show you every building and classrooms then explain their purpose/use and even their history or stories,” she said in an offhand tone.

Something flickered to my thought. “Even that burnt building?” I asked

Her jaw tightened but remained blank in such effort.

“Go eat now…I will meet you here. 1PM sharp,” she said trying to persuade another topic.

I sighed. I will not get the story out of that building, will I?

“Aren’t you coming in the cafeteria?” I asked and my right hand cupped the back of my neck.

“Sorry, but I don’t eat lunch,” she mumbled and I raised one eyebrow.

“Are you kidding me?! No wonder you are thin,” I said in a husky voice.

“That’s not up to you anymore,” she said then faced her back and started to walk away.

AISH, this girl is really weird. I wonder what she does at lunch.