Locket Key

The Dark Melancholy of Choi Minho

 

I didn’t sleep well that night; I guess I was still adjusting to myself to this bed and also to this house. I stared outside the window; our cherry blossom tree is nowhere to be found… I pulled the blanket over my head and tightly shut my eyes.

Midnight has passed yet I was still wide awake, I hummed a lullaby to myself. Finally, I managed to doze off.

Thick fog greeted me when I woke up, I was expecting my neighbors doing their household chores outside when I looked outside my window but the streets were empty and I felt homesick because of that. I turned and saw a vivid figure of a man sitting at the rocking chair that had been there since I was born.

I gawked clearly and discovered that it was Jonghyun.

“What are you doing here?” I asked and yawned at the same time.

“Well… good morning by the way… I have just something to tell you before I am going to Japan,” he muttered and then grabbed something from his pocket.

What’s that?” I answered as I eyed at him curiously.

He showed me a locket’s key necklace, a kind of a key that only can open a small locket but its look was embroiled with eccentric designs. He handed this to me and apprehended my shoulder with such concern.

“Whatever happens, please do not lose this and always bring this wherever you go,” he whispered in a shaky voice.

“What’s this for? What can it open?” I asked and held out the necklace in the air and examined it. It was a typical key, and what’s special about this?

“Just.. Don’t ask… it’s far way better and safe to you if you really don’t know a thing about it,” he said.

“Okay, but where will I use this?” I mumbled to myself.

He looked at me straight in my eyes and I shivered at his stares.

“That key can save you,” he whispered and I know he still have more to say about it.

“What do you mean it can save me?” I asked, very curious. He didn’t continued to speak instead he just stared at me.

“If you won’t talk, I’ll lose this necklace” I threatened and now he’s the one who grabbed my shoulder.

“Don’t even dare to lose that!”

“Can you please tell the reason first why I shouldn’t lose this?” I scowled showing the necklace to his face. He pushed my arm away and grabbed again my shoulders.

“Just… Just keep it safe Minho… I am going now, dad is waiting at the garage… you should take care of yourself all the time alright?” he said and was stressing ‘take care.’ I made a face and sluggishly hugged him.

“Hyung, you should also take care of yourself and our mom, okay? You’ll like Japan” I mumbled and felt the welling up of tears on my eyes.

“Don’t be melodramatic Minho-“ he wiped the tear on his eye”-even though we are like a ball at the moment, being dribbled by our parents, I know we love each other, right dude?” he muttered.

“Yes, you are right… you must go now! I will get ready myself for my school now,” I whispered and he went downstairs.

 

______________________________________________

 

Bell Gosa University is a one damn populated area but when I entered at the highschool department, I felt like I was the only person there. I had a trouble looking for the front office; I even asked one student where is that place and I think, Hara was her name…

Well anyways, when I got my schedule and a map of the university, I started to search for bldg. 18 for my chemistry, according to my schedule.

I started to wander off and observed my new prison cell. Aside from the grass that covers the wide plain of the campus and the trees that seem to keep a specific number, students here seem their moves are numbered.

I continued to walk until I was totally lost; I rotated my map clockwise and counterclockwise to see where the heck I am now.

“Hi! Can I help you?!” a loud voice rose from my back and I jerked for a reaction.

I faced my back and saw this girl which has pink cheeks which stretched due to her glistening smile, her dark brown eyes greeted me warmly which was spooky, what a creeper.

“I am new here; could you help me go to bldg. 18?” I said as I was trying to avoid her stares but I was unsuccessful, I caught her looking at my I.D.

“Oh, so you are the brother of Junghyun, right? By the way I am Lee Sooyun,” she reached for my hand for a handshake. I grabbed it to start a formal meeting.

“Nice to meet you Sooyun, I am Choi Minho” I smiled.

“I noticed that your last name and Jjong’s are not similar, why so? And sorry if I am interrogating questions like this,” she said.

I sighed silently. “I followed the last name of mom, he followed dad’s, and it’s okay for you to ask me, I guess I should also ask you later as well,” I answered as she smiled back.

“Oh… Agreement, their divorce agreement? Sorry about that,” she said as she bowed.

“No, no… It’s okay Sooyun… no offense done, I mean, I lived like this for the past 9 years now so it doesn’t bother me anymore” I smiled at her. I guess I made my friend at the campus.

“Oh yeah! I forgot to answer your question about bldg. 18 earlier, I am actually going there too… is your first period under Mr. Kim Gwansung?” she looked at me with that expectant stare.

I reached for my knapsack to see my schedule.

I reviewed it, all subjects within one hour duration and my first period is chemistry….

“Chemistry, 8-9 A.M. Mr. Kim Gwansung” I read my schedule aloud.

“Oh wow, you are my classmate as well! Join me then,” she said as she started to walk and pulled me at her side.

“Well, it’s nice that I made friends with my classmate. So it will be easy for me to spend my first day at school,” I explained as I gazed around the campus.

She giggled and stopped, she fixed her eyeglass and stared at me… then she stared at the building infront of us.

“Is this Bldg. 18?” I asked better to find out for the sudden stop.

“No… but this building is the most controversial of all”

I quickly looked at her in disbelief then at the building… the walls are obvious that a fire ate up and destroyed the building’s original form… The doors were nailed shut and covered with yellow labels ‘do not enter. I felt shivers on my neck at that scene.

“What happened here?” I uttered and decied to just look at Sooyun rather than the destroyed structure.

“Well, we are going to be late now Mr. Choi. We should chase our first period, shouldn’t we?” she said as she started to walk leaving me behind, dumbfounded.

I just followed far behind her until she stopped infront of a room; she waved for me to enter the classroom as she did later on.

After getting, everyone was in a mess. Diversity of the class appeared, the cools dominated at the room as stares were given by the most of the eyes here. The ‘bookish’ somehow decided to stay on their seats to self study. The ‘athletic’ boys were laughing so loud right next to a group of girls who wear heavy make-ups and some even had sun glasses on.

I flinched a smile myself, maybe they are the sassy chic or it could be a sorority row for rich and y girls… well, who cares anyway?

The weird thing was nobody realizes that I was a new student here… I searched for Sooyun and she was talking to her seatmate. I looked for an available desk and fitted myself in that seat.

I put my bag under the desk and grabbed out a notebook. I doodled Chemistry on the first page and signed on it.

“Hello transferee number 7,” a voice greeted me and I jolted, causing a long line to slash my art piece.

I sighed and ripped out that page. I faced the girl, that greeted me earlier and all I can say was… I can’t look at her face.

She has long bangs and with a very long hair that covered the side of her cheeks.

“Hi! Transferee 7? What do you mean miss?” I said as I waited for an answer.

She remained static at her position that she didn’t even faced at me and I just saw her lips moved.

“You are the 7th transferee of this room, what thing you cannot understand by that?” she said coldly.

“So… You mean miss, I am the 7th person who transferred here? Well your school must that be popular” I tried to wash myself by praising her school… It’s just weird that I am the 7th transferee here yet the room population is only about 20 plus.

“Correction, this now our school… and yes bell gosa is popular. Addition to that transferee thing, the number who transferred out into another school is thrice of your number position mister,” she mumbled but still was not facing or looking making me not to look at me.

She tilted her head down, making me not to look at her face entirely. She might noticed that I was looking hard at her face.

WTH… if many students are coming here to study, more students are getting out from this university… but why for? Are my dad’s stories true?

An old man entered our room and eventually cleared his throat.

“Fix yourselves now students as we begin our class now,” he said then went infront of the board to write something.

All of my classmates sat their desks and automatically gave their glances to the board but just then I remembered something.

I came back in facing the girl next to me.

“Sorry miss I know it’s rude for not introducing myself, I am actually Cho-“

“Class, I forgot… you actually have a new classmate again. Stand up”- he looked at his class record,”- Choi Minho and introduce yourself to the class” the teacher ordered and looked at me.

I felt stares around me and I stood up slowly and marched to the front. I let out a long air escape from my lungs and looked at their faces one by one.

Everyone was not like eager to meet me… they were like facing an encyclopedia book… boring and will always have the same content, the same meaning, the same explanation.

I gulped as cold sweats started to drip down from my temples.

“Anyeong hasaeyo, Choi Minho imnida… I came from Japan and actually, I am the brother of Kim Jonghyun” As I have said the last word I immediately heard gasps and hiss.

I raised an eybrow of confussion then the professor just patted my shoulder.

“I heard he transferred to Japan, is that right Mr. Choi?” the prof eyed at me and I smiled, hoping it could be an icebreaker for the tension around here.

“Yes, that is right sir…Jjong exchanged with me as what the divorce agreement says| I said as I wiped the sweats on my neck.

“Oh, sorry about that kid, I thought it’s all about the incident” he said and cleared his throat.

“What incident sir?” I asked automatically as curiosity and interest flooded me.

“We… shouldn’t talk about that Mr. Choi you know,” he whispered out loud and everyone was silent. “Well class, who wants to guide Mr. Choi Minho on his first day at BGU?” the teacher then avoided my stare.

Some of the girls were raising their hands, one of them was Sooyun… I smiled at her as she smiled back.

“Ms. Park Jiyeon, would you mind accompanying Mr. Choi and be his guide for today” The professor said as he was looking at the girl.

All of them looked at the girl who sits beside me…

Her face was blank as before, she was not even looking at me or even our professor. She just nodded. Even though I can look most of her face now, I still feel spooked out from her, What a creeper.

“Now go back to your seat now Mr. Choi, I hope you will enjoy your stay at Bell Gosa University,” the prof said and I was dumbfounded.

What does he meant by that?

 

 

__________________________________________

One of my longest update ever! WHEW! Now I will go back in typing! COMMENTS ARE LOVED PEOPLE! <3