Chapter 6: Missing lenses in my life.

Through the Vintage Camera

“I want to try something.” I swallowed hard, afraid that he would reject me and afraid my theory would turn out wrong.

“What do you want to try?” Dongwoon asked, confused of the situation. I stared straight into his eyes, hoping he wouldn’t run away from me or see me as a weirdo. Grabbing his hands by the wrist, I turned my attention by to the photo. Dongwoon stayed silent for the moment. Slowly and steady, I pulled his hands towards the photo. Heart thumping hard against my chest, I nervously let his fingers touch the photo.

I couldn’t believe my eyes.

“It was back in colour…” I thought out loud.

“What’s in colour?” Dongwoon finally spoke after that dramatic part of me trying to prove my theory. I turned to him. Oh my god! I could see colours! Colours! Not only on him but everything he touches!

“Colours! I can see!” I jumped in excitement, taking him along on my emotional jump.

“What?” Dongwoon seemed so confused.

“Colours! It’s because of you!” I exclaimed. In the midst of my celebration, I wrapped my arms around my savior. This was unimaginable. I never thought colours could be a part of my life. I couldn’t describe how ecstatic I was right now.

“Hmmm… can you tell me what’s going on right now?” Dongwoon was totally alarmed by me.

“Oops, sorry,” I let go of him, smiling awkwardly. Once I settled down, I explained everything from my birth up till now to Dongwoon. We sat on the sofa listening me talk for hours as I took him back into a journey of my life. Dongwoon pin his ears back, paying attention to every detail of it.

“So, what you’re saying is that you could see colours on me and those that I touched?” Dongwoon summarized the whole story in one single question. I nodded slowly, waiting for him to question me with 10 thousands more. But he stayed silent, absorbed in his own thoughts. I frowned.

“Aren’t you going to ask me more questions?” I asked, raising my eye brows. He looked up at me, shaking his head. “So you just believe whatever I said wholesale?” I asked again. He nodded sincerely. “Shouldn’t a normal human doubt it?” Now, I’m the one with millions of questions.

“Why would you lie to me? I totally trust you. A photograph could tell all about the person who took it. Your pictures give me this warm and trustable feel. So, I won’t doubt you.” Dongwoon chuckled. “But, I am curious of something.”

“Yeah?”

“Can you see the colour of the sofa we are sitting on?” Dongwoon asked with the same set of curious eyes. He diverted my attention from him temporary. Now, I did notice the colour of my sofa. I smiled, it’s not white.

“Your smile is lovely,” Dongwoon smiled warmly at me. He was really the most beautiful man I ever met in my life. Not that I’m a good judge of colours. Then, before I had to time to hear my own heart jump crazily, he changed the topic. “So, what are you going to do with your camera? You said it was one and only camera.”

“I don’t know,” I didn’t even want to think my life without my vintage camera which allowed me to capture that moment of colour.

“Can you make one again if we could find the lens?”

“I could make one any time because I know the technical part of it. But the problem is would it have the same effect? I had never tried anything else other than my current one. Normal DSLR lens wouldn’t work.” I thought hard.

“Why don’t you try mine?” Dongwoon pulled out his vintage camera from his bag. It was a little beauty. I never noticed it that day, given that I was mesmerized by Dongwoon in colour.

“It’s pretty,” I exclaimed, as I took it over from him.

“Yeah, it’s my baby,” Dongwoon looked at the camera adoringly too.

“Let me try,” I took a deep breath, slowly taking a peek through the lens. I swiped away from ‘colour’ zone, to my original house untouched by Dongwoon. As expected, black and white came into view and nothing else. I shook my head disappointingly and handed Dongwoon his camera back. Dongwoon carefully slide his camera back into his bag.

“Do you think Mr Yoon would have more of that lens?” Dongwoon asked.

“No, he once told me he only had only one.” I shook my head, thinking of other ways.

“Hmmm…” Dongwoon contemplated. “So, we have to search from scratch if we want a new camera exactly like yours?”

“I guess so,” My shoulders dropped in disappointment. When colours finally could enter my life through those vintage lenses, hopes vanished.

“Don’t worry,” Dongwoon reached over across the sofa for my hands. “We sure will find the lens for you because I’m here.”

“Why are you being so nice to me?”

“Because you are special,” Dongwoon charmed with a smile.