Blurred Identities

Mistaken Love

Honks sounded everywhere around the Seoul public bus that is trapped in a horrendous traffic jam near Dongdaemun.

"Oh dammit! I'm gonna be late if this goes on!" you thought as you kept eyeing the long line of vehicles in front of the bus that you're on. It's already 8:25am. You've been stuck in this major traffic jam for almost 20 minutes and as time ticked away, your anxiety grew. You're supposed to deliver an important document to J.Tune Entertainment company at Chungdamn-dong by 9am. You had thought that with an full 1 hour 15 minutes set aside for your traveling time after you've delivered the newspapers in the early hours of the morning, you'll be on time for your second job of the day. "Damn! 8:32am. Ok, I got to find a way to get the document there in time. Can't afford to lose this job."

"Ahjussi, may I alight here right now? I really really really need to get something to a company urgently..."

"Mworago? ahh... well, this..." the bus driver hesitated at your sudden request. (Mworago means 'what did you say' or 'what?')

"Ahjussi, please do me this favour? I really need to get to my destination as soon as possible! Just give me a concession this once, ok? Please..."

"Well... all right then, just this once... since you look like you desperately need to be there... be careful of the cars, agassi..."

You leapt off the bus' opened doors while shouting "Gomapseubnida!" to the driver, waving your hand high above your head, as you ran through a maze of honking cars to get to the nearest subway station entrance. (Gomapseubnida means 'thank you!')

 

***

"Yes, I'll be there as soon as possible. I'm now getting off my cab as we speak so I can get there by the subway..."

 

***

You dumped your phone into your brown postman bag and held the important package in one hand while the other clawed at the transport card from your jeans pocket. As you are caught up in the actions, you crashed into a young lady of similar age and both of you fell.

In the midst of the confusion, both of you rose from the pavement and brushed off the dirt from your jeans. Both of you exchanged a series of bows and apologies while picking up the bags from the ground.

You clutched the important package with the document tightly in your hand as you hoisted your bag onto your shoulder once again and scurried off to take the train...

 

***

A loud crash sounds. In avoiding a reckless motorcyclist, the same young woman stepped out of the way only to stare dumbstruck at the approaching delivery van that was skidding towards her. The van veered to the side suddenly to avoid hitting her, but ended up hitting the motorcyclist and as the motorcycle and van collided again as they spinned, their secondary collision hit her before stopping a small distance apart.

 

***

"I wonder what all that commotion is about?"

"Never mind about that now. 8:50am. Awesome. I have only 10 minutes to get it there! . I better run fast now!"

"Sorry, excuse me, I am here to deliver an important document to Mr Kang Jun Kyung. May I gain access?"

You got your temporary visitor pass and entered the building, hurrying towards the stairs to get to level 2's office. As you ran up the stairs, you brushed past a well-built man in his late twenties. He looked just as flustered as you. After a quick nod of apology, both of you went your separate ways. You contined to the office and delivered the document just in time. Accepting the signed delivery receipt, you let out a sigh of relief and strolled slowly down the stairs.

"Yay! Got it! I'll get my express delivery wage! Good job, you efficient Lee Yeon Hee."

"...yah! Where on earth is she!? Is she even coming? It's past 9am! She should have been here by 8:45am!"

"Yeoboseyo? Seungho-ah, don't you know how she looks like? I was told that she's your family friend, no? What? You've not seen her? Ok wait, what's her name again? Yeonghi?" (Yeoboseyo means 'hello?')

You see the person who's on the phone. It's the same man that you met on the stairs just now.

"...what? oh, Yeonghui?"

"I wonder what's happening? Everyone is in a hurry today. Such an eventful morning... Thank goodness my busy morning is done!"

"Huh? Hey this stair well is horrible, I can't hear you... lemme walk... who? Yeon Hee?"

Your head snapped up and stared at him. "Yeon Hee? Is he referring to me? Me? Lee Yeon Hee? But..."

He stared at you as you stared at him upon his mentioning of the name 'Yeon Hee'. He eyed you suspiciously as he ended his call.

You approached him and timidly ask, "Excuse me sir, but were you talking about a Yeon Hee?"

"Yes I was. Are you lost, miss? Where are you supposed to head to? I can direct you to the receptionist counter..."

"No, I was just leaving... But, I'm actually Yeon Hee. I don't know why you're looking for a Yeon Hee though... not sure if you're--"

"WHAT?! Again? You're Yeon Hee?" He smiled crazily at you in an instance as you looked stunned at his reaction.

"Yes... but, I'm already leav--"

"This is great! I've found you! Finally! Come, let's go now, the rest are waiting and we've got no time now. We need to leave for SBS very very soon... Hey c'mon!" He dragged you by your arm to the lift lobby and rushed into a waiting lift before punching the button to level 5.

"I... I'm not supposed to--"

"You have no idea how much we're in need of your skills. Our past make-up artiste got married after a whirl-wind romance and she left us with such short notice! Goodness! How are we to cope? Good thing you're here and even better, I've finally found you. To think I've met you just now! If only I asked all random young women in this building if they were Yeon Hee! Maybe I'd have found you earlier..."

As he chattered on, the lift door opened to level 5.

Your eyes widened in disbelief when the first person that appeared as the door opened was Mir of MBLAQ. "OH MY GOD. IT IS MIR. MIR. Today's not only a crazy morning, it's a ja;lskdhfaksfadsjf freaking awesome morning! I am actually seeing an actual idol IN FRONT OF ME!"

"Annyeonghaseyo! You must be Yeon Hee noona! Wait, I can call you noona, right? Noona, please touch up my make-up! The people at the hair salon can't cover up my dark circles properly! I want to look handsome. Quick make me handsome, noona!"

"What? Touch up your make-up? Mir's make-up? *inward gasp* Oh em gee. I must tell Eun Young later. She'll faint!"

"Hey Yeon Hee-ssi, can you hurry up over here? You'll settle things here and I'll go down to get the van round to the back entrance ok? See you in 10!"

Although confusion clouded your mind, you still managed to receive the make-up kit and touch up the make-up of the MBLAQ members. However, as you touched up their make-up, you can't help but feel that Seungho is eyeing you suspiciously and with mild irritation.