Chapter Thirty-Five: Detail

A Crack in History

Henry looked around curiously as he followed Leeteuk down a moonlit street. They were travelling by nightfall more often as so not to be seen. The air was getting colder, he noticed. It wouldn't be long until it started snowing. Which made him happy. He loved snow.

"Gege?" Henry called up to Han Geng, who was flying above them.

The Air element looked around curiously for a moment, locating source of the noise before swooping down to hover beside him.

"What's up?" 

"How cold is it up there?" Henry pointed towards the sky. 

"Um, it's pretty cold," Han Geng frowned staring in the general direction of where Henry was pointing. "I think it'll start snowing in a couple of days. We're all going to have to hoard stuff from a shop or something soon... Why?"

"Just wondering," Henry confirmed with a nod. "About the chance of it snowing, actually, so you answered my question perfectly. Thanks."

"No problem," Han Geng did a 'thumbs-up' gesture at him before rising to the clouds again. "Call me when we I need to come down!"

"Okay!"

Henry didn't really have much to look at after that, so he simply just stared ahead. The possibility of there being a hole in Leeteuk's back was quite high. 

Now that he thought about it, Leeteuk walked really funny. Well, not funny, more strange, seeming it was subtle. He limped on his left ankle and he rubbed his right side often, like he was trying to flatten the fabric against his skin and make it stick. Maybe it was an insect bite or something? He knew that they could get really annoying. But that didn't explain the limp. Maybe he was just tired... How come he hadn't noticed him walking like that a couple of weeks ago? Come to think of it, last time he saw him walk funny, he had been scratching his back (or adjusting his shirt, he couldn't decide at the time) an awful lot. Leeteuk had weird habits. That or he was awfully prone to insect bites...

"... Hyung...?" Henry asked cautiously. "Are you okay?"

Leeteuk turned back at him and looked at him with a sheepish smile. There were dark circles under his eyes and his eyelids were dropping every once in a while; his posture was slumped over and his arms flopped listlessly at his sides. All tell-tale signs of fatigue. Although his appearance screamed all he wanted was to sleep, Leeteuk nodded lazily before turning back ahead and continued to walk.

Henry wasn't convinced. He didn't know Leeteuk well enough to know if he was lying or actually being serious. Looking around, he spotted Ryeowook and Eunhyuk at the back, too far. Donghae was talking to Jongwoon and Kyuhyun, he'd be obviously distracted. Han Geng was in the air. Could that be considered close if he was above him?

But did Han Geng really know Leeteuk? He knew Leeteuk knew Han Geng, but Henry hadn't really had a chance to speak to the Air element much. Too much moving and trying not to lash out at... Zhou Mi... He was assuming that he did. Mainly because Leeteuk had told him that they had grown up together, and when you were in a war, you valued anyone as a friend. 

He had no friends as a child. Unless you counted his siblings, which he lost in the midst of an invasion of his city. Now he immediately had eleven people to talk to. The change was rather quick and slightly overwhelming. 

Jesus, he got distracted easily. One moment he was talking about Leeteuk's current condition and now he was rambling on about not having any friends. More importantly, it was a monologue. To himself. That in itself was sad. 

"Han Geng...?" Henry called up to the older again. "Can you walk with me? I wanna talk!"

The Air element looked down at him and flew down to his side once more, gracefully falling into step with him. Quite literally.

"What's up?" Han Geng repeated shoving his hands in his pockets. He didn't seem to mind being asked down again. Yet again, he didn't seem to really mind anything.

"Do you know Leeteuk?" 

"Um... Yes???" Han Geng scratched the back of his head awkwardly before shaking it and saying. "... I don't understand what you mean..."

"You're friends right?" Henry sighed.

"Yeah, we've known each other since we were kids," Han Geng spluttered confusedly. "I know him better than I know myself. Better than he knows himself, even. He's like- Wait a minute, Henry, didn't he already tell you this? And you kept asking me if we were a couple? Because I clearly remember that..."

"Sorry, I was just confused," Henry shrugged nonchalantly. "I was just wondering if you both knew each other as well as... Each other...?"

"Right..."

"But anyways, if you know Leeteuk better than the back of your own hand, can you tell me if Leeteuk okay?" Henry poked a finger towards the toddling Life element. "I asked him before but I don't know if he's lying or not. I don't know him well enough to know his mannerisms or most if his personality so... I wanted to get the opinion of someone who did."

Han Geng frowned at him before averting his gaze to Leeteuk. He narrowed his eyes, examining the eldest every movement as if he knew exactly what he was going to do. He held up a finger and traced the silhouette of the Life element slowly before Leeteuk himself stopped walking.

"No..." Han Geng whispered in realisation as he started running. "He's not..."

Henry blinked as Han Geng ran furiously. He was too late though.

Leeteuk had already hit the ground.

---

A/N:

Sorry! My sister was hogging the computer, so I couldn't upload anything T_T

And school starts soon, I'll try to keep updating (more) regularly than usual.

Hope you enjoy!~ ^^