Chapter Eleven: Spirit

A Crack in History

"Geng, I found it!"

Ryeowook scrambled up the ladder and tried pushing the plate out of place, failing as Han Geng caught up to him. The two had become closer in the night, running, playfully racing against each other with a few friendly conversations in between.

"Get down from there!" Han Geng sighed, floating up and kicking the iron plate from its place, flying out, Ryeowook following after. "So... This is the Yongsan district..."

"Yeah..." Ryeowook nodded, yawning slightly. "I think I know where the homestead is from here..."

"What if I fly you up and get you a better view?" Han Geng suggested. "So you can see more?"

"Nah, I'm good." Ryeowook politely declined, walking along the street slowly as Han Geng shut the plate. "This way... Where's your stick?"

"Uh... I didn't have time to get it..." Han Geng admitted. "Y'know... Soldiers invading..."

"Right, so do I need to get you a new one?" Ryeowook asked.

"Eh? I'll just fly..." Han Geng shrugged, jumping off and hovering above the ground.

"Are you sure? I mean, you really should be resting your powers and stuff, seeming they use energ-"

"I'm fine Ryeowook." Han Geng chuckled, flying ahead.

"Hey! Wait up!"

Ryeowook ran in front of the older male, having memorised the location of the homestead, he led Han Geng through the abandoned roads and straight to the big building with no troubles at all, the skeletons of ruined skyscrapers towered over them, and remnants of the ways of old society cluttered the area, it made him wonder what Incheon was like now, crushed and ruined, abandoned, left to rot with the rest of the country. What had happened to his mother? Hei-ru-

No, stop thinking of that, forget it.

They made their way along the wrecked streets, Han Geng flew off ahead while Ryeowook stopped, looking back at the plain, war-torn stretch of road behind him wide blank eyes.

A steady pounding filled his head, the intolerable silence was replaced with the throbbing of blood in his head. Eyes registered the emptiness of it all, the lack of the sound and presence of life. As if he only realised it, he stepped back, the crunch of gravel beneath his feet sounding and being way too unbearably loud in the midst of quietness. He covered his ears and crouched slightly, it hurt, it was so loud it hurt. He held his head in his arms, suppressed memories, memories he'd been trying to keep hidden away flooded his mind and hurt him from the inside out. Behind his closed eyelids, scenes of battle and bloodshed played out, haunting him, no, this was all too much. He opened his eyes trying to get them to just go away but they where still there, he clawed at his hair, trying to distract himself. He saw his vision blur and he started swaying side to side, lungs constricting and head aching.

"They all left me..."

"Ryeowook?! Hey! RYEOWOOK!"

"Woah! Ryeowook?!"

The Light element stumbled along for a few more steps before leaning sharply to the left. Knees buckling, he collapsed to the concrete, falling to the ground head first. He saw Han Geng rushing towards him but a flash of yellow got there first, encircling his collapsed form and soon he was being cradled in someone's arms with words being said to him.

"I have no one..."

"Yah, Kim Ryeowook! Can you hear me?!" That loud voice was familiar, cold but soft, yet concerned at the same time. "HEY! TALK TO ME HERE!"

He couldn't see properly, vision hazed over with panic and confusion. Ryeowook couldn't seem to form words and he felt like there was no oxygen getting to his lungs.

"I was abandoned..."

"Okay, well, I'm just gonna say that's a yes." the voice talked to him again, he was so sure he knew it from somewhere. "Ryeowook, you need to breathe, first off, you're hyperventilating, and second, you're having a flashback about the past, got it? It's over, it's happened, you aren't in danger, you're fine. Just breathe. In. Out. In. Out, okay?"

Ryeowook never noticed his abnormal breathing pattern, and tried to slow it down, failing miserably as the panic overtook him, shaking his head and wailing out, he still couldn't see and the voice sounded muffled and far away as he was dragged deeper into his nightmares.

"I'm alone..."

"Oi! Don't do this to me Ryeowook! C'mon! It's a flashback! You're panicking!" that same voice shouted at him. "DON'T DO THIS TO ME!"

He felt like he was so far away, the voice getting more distant with each passing moment, his blurred sight of the city and sky was fading into darkness. Ryeowook kept his eyes open, they were wide open, but he couldn't see anything, it was all black.

"Okay... Um... Uh..." the voice sounded panicked, small stutters filled the area before the voice gasped. "Ryeowook, remember when you found two arguing teens on the street?"

The Light element tried blocking out the war, the scenes of horrible violence he'd had to have seen as a child and grow up with, the heartless killing, the ruthless massacre, his father, his mother, Hei-rung... As the words of the unknown person rang through his ears, he saw himself in an alleyway.

"And you came up to them, and almost killed them..." the voice was louder now, and his vision was returning slowly. "C'mon Wook!"

He saw himself holding twin gun barrels up to their heads and almost laughing at their arguing. One with a full bodied armour suit and one with blonde hair and what seemed like anger management problems.

"And then you didn't, and they took you to a safe place... A home Ryeowook, a home!"

He remembered getting piggy-backed to a tall building, and almost falling over because he was so dizzy. He remembered being led up an elevator, and some stairs, talking to the teen with the armour.

"And you saw him, the guy with the rainbow eyes, and he told you to stay, and that you'd be safe, no one would hurt you and you'd be okay..."

There was a man standing at a stove element, cooking something in a pot, with light-honey hair and rainbow eyes. He saw himself sitting on the couch with him and discussing something, the Power, the Guardians.

"You'd be safe Ryeowook! You would be with us! You wouldn't be alone anymore!"

"I'm..."

Colour flooded his vision, black fading to the far corners of his eyes. The sun was shining above them, he felt that he'd broken out into a sweat, he felt the arms that were keeping him from falling to the ground, he felt the worried gaze that was set upon him, and two faces that hovered above him were revealed from his blurred eyes.

"... Not alone..."

"Oh, Thank God." that voice sighed out in relief, and he felt himself being pulled up into a tight hug. "We still got you..."

Vision focusing, Ryeowook looked blankly at the person he couldn't identify as they pulled away. A head of bleach-blonde hair, a half-hearted gummy smile and neon yellow eyes were the first things he noticed.

"Eunhyuk..." Ryeowook croaked, voice cracking. "Han Geng..."

"Yep, that's us." The Electricity element replied tiredly. "Good to know you remember us kiddo..."

"..." Ryeowook mumbled, looking up at Han Geng, who looked liked he'd seen a ghost before he felt a harsh slap on the back of his head. "Ow!"

"Don't you ever do that again Kim Ryeowook!" Eunhyuk yelled at him, eyes glowing intensely, showing exactly how much he'd been worried. "Do you know how fricking scared we were?! We almost lost you at one point, just because of one panic attack! Seriously, you went bloody grey! Isn't that right Geng?"

"Yes... You barely had a pulse for a second..." Han Geng looked at him grimly.

"... Sorry..." Ryeowook whispered, attempting to stand, but falling back down into Eunhyuk's arms. "I didn't mean to..."

"... It's okay..." Eunhyuk rolled his eyes. "I'm just worried 'bout you, that's all."

"..." Ryeowook tried to stand again, and failed again.

"Oh you aren't walking kiddo." Eunhyuk removed his jersey, wrapping it around Ryeowook before placing the younger boy on his back. He started walking. "C'mon Geng, this ain't the best of reunions, but it's good to see ya again."

"Nice to see you too." Han Geng replied simply with a weak smile, hobbling along next to the Electricity element.

"What are you even doing here Eunhyuk?" Ryeowook asked. "Did you know we were here?"

"Eh? No." Eunhyuk shrugged. "I was just looking for food... Ugh, Geng, I'm gonna hafta run, got it, think you can keep up with me? It's just I think it's best we get Wook home quickly..."

"Yeah. I agree." Han Geng hopped off the ground, flying overhead as Eunhyuk started speeding down the streets.

---

"Ryeowook!" Leeteuk gasped as Eunhyuk burst through the door, he ran up to them. "What happened?!"

"Nothing..." Ryeowook murmured looking away.

"Tch, don't lie stupid." Eunhyuk rolled his eyes. "He had a panic attack."

"Ryeowook!" Leeteuk frowned, taking the frail boy into his arms. "Are you okay?!"

"For now..." Eunhyuk ran a hand through his blonde locks. "I think you just need to give him a level-one supression..."

"Wookie!" Donghae came up to them. "What happened?! Eunhyuk wasn't being mean to you was he?!"

"No..." Ryeowook laughed weakly. "Actually, I think if he weren't there, I might've been in worse conditions..."

"Okay, well, we should get you to bed now." Leeteuk smiled down at him before leading him to his room, Donghae trailing after them.

Eunhyuk and Han Geng watched as they went, the younger of the two keeping his grim face as he walked to the couch and lay down. Han Geng strolled up behind him, standing above him from behind the couch.

"You knew how to handle that well."

The blonde-haired teen glared up at him, but frowned when he remembered seeing Han Geng and Leeteuk looking down at him like he'd died or something, which he almost had. He looked away from the Air element.

"Yeah, I did..." he sighed, rolling over. "Of course I did."

Han Geng sat on the arm of the seat, gazing down at the Electricity element knowingly.

"You were scared."

"So were you."

Han Geng kept his eyes on Eunhyuk with the same expression, he frowned with sympathy.

"But you were more so."

The younger glared up at the Air element with a painful expression and a glum face.

"That's because I knew how he felt..."

---

A/N:

Dundundunda!

Yes~ Basically one quarter in of the editing process~

Oh yes.

Please comment and subscribe!~

I love you all!