Thread 3 – An Accidental Mistake

Accidentally Fated

 

“Last shelf to check, wohoo.......”

Seohyun giggled to herself as she made her way to the last shelf.

 

There is always a moment in everyone’s life when things just don’t go your way. Like maybe how your favourite pet got hit by a car and then you got a really bad grade for your test. Even for an immortal person like Seohyun and other ‘angels’ bad luck still does happen. It is like random star picking its next victim. It is unplanned and uncontrolled.

One, two, three, stumble then fall.

 

Seohyun fell flat on her face. She could feel the sharp pain on her face, her knees and her elbows. She was too busy mending her own pain that she did not realise the plain white glow from behind her.

But being a discipline girl like her, she would surely start remembering her own task. She stood up and looked around her, checking that each thread was being tied properly.

“Thankfully I did not damage anything,”

“Damage what?” Tiffany said as she walked towards Seohyun.

 

Of course Seohyun did not tell what happened to Tiffany. First, she did not really know that ‘it’ happened. Second, she also had an image to maintain. Angels are also vain creatures you see.

 

“Nothing. How about that person that you are checking?”

“It’s her fate. So just go with the flow. Come, let me scan through your work.”

 

And the domino started falling.

 

===

 

“Argh, Tiffany, really. You shouldn’t have changed these things last minute. I thought you only have like 5 minutes left,” Leetuk grumbled as he received the news from his advanced looking phone-like gadget.

He skipped to one of the shelves, ran his fingers on a few books before laying his fingers on one. He pulled it out and opened it. Instead of pages, glimmer of water-like reflection dominated its content. After mumbling a few words and carrying out a few sweeping gestures on the book, he finally got what he wanted.

“Change this, then this, and then this. Should be okay for at least a few days to come.”

Leetuk closed the book and returned it back to its place. After that, he happily skipped back to his desk and took a nap.

 

===

 

“Yoona!!!” everyone exclaimed as the bottle stopped in front of her.

“Truth or dare,” Sooyoung asked.

“She should choose dare. She had been choosing truth all the way,” Yuri said as she looked at Yoona cynically.

Yoona did not want to lose and thus looked at her with an equivalent piercing gaze.

“Then bring it on,” Yoona challenged.

That statement brought a smirk on Yuri’s face.

An opportunity.

“Let’s have a drinking challenge.”

 

And therefore, mistake no. 2 : Don’t get your enemy drunk.

 

===

 

“Hurry up, we had 10 seconds left,” Tiffany said to Seohyun who was panting from climbing long flights of stairs.

“This is my favourite scene from the whole year.”

 

They are standing on a raised platform in front of Tiffany’s office. It is a place where one could have a clear look on the entire area. And it is not a joke, the size of it. It was huge.......

 

“Three, two, one,”

Suddenly pink glow started to shine from the front shelves to the back. Each and every name tag glowed, creating a very beautiful, organised scene in front of them.

‘Wow’ was the only word that Seohyun could say.

“That’s the sign of the start of everything. Every single soul on earth is now changed. Everyone has their own fated love at least until next year. Some are bitter, some are sweet, and some are tragic. It is a beginning of a journey.”

Tiffany raised her hands towards the shelves.

“Every glow originated from a person’s heart. Every person today opened their heart and now they are closed. It is a sign of acceptance.”

“Then, why love seemed to happen any time of the year?”

“It is because every thread had its own time for its effect to start. Some are immediate, some take more time, like months. That was not our area of expertise anymore. It’s the D department task.”

The new cupid just nodded.

 

===

 

“I am not drunk,” Yoona said as she took another can of beer and drink from it.

Yuri on the other hand had turned completely red, and she seemed that she would collapse anytime soon.

“Okay, Taeng, we are in a deep trouble. That’s the sign that Yoona is already drunk.” Sooyoung said, pointing to Yoona.

“What do we do?” Taeyeon said, rather panicky.

“Of course stopped them,” Sooyoung said promptly.

Both of them tried to stop Yoona and Yuri who still continued drinking. They were really stubborn when it came to their rivalry between one another. Both never wanting to give in.

Taeyeon gathered all the cans and gave them to Sooyoung.

“Throw it away,”

Sooyoung nodded and went out of the room. On the other hand, Taeyeon was trying to balance Yoona, trying to pull her back to their room.

“Taeng, left me here. The fight is not over. See...” Yoona mumbled, while pointing to Yuri.

“Yuri almost collapsed, I just need to stay awake a bit longer.”

And the moment Yuri went unconscious, Yoona did the same.

“Im Yoona. Yah, I could not drag you. YAH, I am small you see,” Taeyeon repeated as she shook Yoona’s lifeless body.

“Aish, both of them dead already, huh?” Sooyoung said as she spotted the two rivals that were now unconscious.

“Just drag them to the bed,” Sooyoung commanded as she pulled Yuri by her hands.

“But we purposely separate them,” Taeyeon said ruggedly as she painfully dragged Yoona.

“What could they do to each other when they are unconcious anyway?”

Taeyeon saw some sense in what Sooyoung was saying and followed Sooyoung in dragging Yoona onto the bed.

 

Seriously what could have happened when they are drunk!

 

===

 

“Fany-ah, you forget your list,” Leetuk said as he handed over Tiffany’s list to her.

“Ah, my list,” Tiffany smiled.

Leetuk pulled the chair opposite of Tiffany and sat on it. He looked around at the office that he seldom visited. It still looked pretty much the same as the last time he came there.

“I think your department is the nicest. After a day, you are free.”

“The busy day is once in a year, but throughout the year we are busy preparing for next year. We don’t have that much people unlike in D department. It is really hard to find a person nowadays that died with pure love. Latest addition in the last 50 years only that one over there,” Tiffany pointed to Seohyun who was walking around the rows of shelves.

“But you could have made my work easier. Why do you change a pair’s love line so late in wee hours? You know that fate regarding your department was the one that was hardest to manage. That Im and Kwon,” Leetuk sighed.

Tiffany snapped upon hearing the two sacred names - Im and Kwon.

“Love line? Im and Kwon? It is not supposed to be a love line between them, it is a hatred line.”

Tiffany paused.

“OH MY GOD!”

 Tiffany finally processed what might have happened. She ran out of her office as fast as she could. But she already knew the truth. There weren’t much she could do now.

 

===

 

Yuri moved restlessly on the bed. She tried to get into a more comfortable position, but that person beside her prevented her from doing so. Yuri was not used to someone sleeping beside her. She was too accustomed with her single king size bed.

“Move away,” Yuri mumbled in her sleep as she pushed that person off from the bed.

Yoona was too unconscious to actually care about who pushed her down. She just automatically dragged herself up. Getting a bit angry at that person’s doing, she grabbed that person’s head in a headlock and wrapped her leg around the person’s body, making sure that if she fell, she took that person together with her.

 

Maybe it is fate that had finally taken its course. Human beings are given decision to take, different paths that could determine what will happen with their future. But sadly, nowadays human’s heart is so easy to read. It is for one simple fact – human would rather hurt than love. When Leetuk decided which opportunity that should present itself, he already knew how Yuri would act, which decision that she would made.

Fate may fix its ending, but the journey is always full of choices. And unfortunately, Yuri has chosen wrongly.

I think without narrating, you would already know what had happened, but I would tell you anyway. Sparring had turned to hugging. And anger that left was only replaced with sudden curiosity.

 

Yuri leaned in closer to the unmoving Yoona. Yuri did not even know what got into her. Honestly, she was not even conscious enough to control her own action. The next thing that she could feel was Yoona’s soft lips against her. Although initially unsure, but as Yoona returned her kiss, she got braver and started planting kisses along her neck and collarbone. Partially knowing that she would not remember any of this in the morning, she pulled Yoona closer to her.

 

Oh, and the greatest mistake that you should not make, mistake no. 3: Never ever sleep with your enemy.

 

===

 

Tiffany arrived at the shelf that she had known so well. She always checked that Im Yoona and Kwon Yuri were always connected with a black thread. It was her task, her promise to the previous leader whom she already treated like her own sister. She did not want to believe her eyes, but the truth had presented itself. Im Yoona, Kwon Yuri, red thread.

Seohyun who realised that Tiffany had ran like a mad person came to approach Tiffany as well.

“Seohyun, what have you done?” Tiffany said, exasperated.

Leetuk had also arrived at the scene. He had a confused expression painted on his face. He had thought that the last command was Tiffany’s decision, but seemingly it was not.

“Leetuk, so what did you do?” Tiffany asked although inside her heart she already knew the answer.

“At such small window of time, I could only manage to conduct one thing, and I think you already know what it was.”

 Leetuk paused.

“A one night stand.”