Eight.

Mixed Feelings [UNFINISHED]

 

[SUNWOO POV]

 

 

So I locked Sandeul in the boy's locker room.

 

 

Serves the twerp right after pantsing me in front of everyone.

 

 

Ugh, I was wearing my pink boxers today, too! And everyone ing saw! I'm Cha Sunwoo, for 's sake, and I have an image to protect. That's pretty much my whole life – my social status. For some reason, it's really important to me. Surrounding myself with people who like me, it gives me sort of a comforting feeling. So I can't allow that brat to go strutting around and ruining that.

 

 

Who the hell does he think he is? Just walking up and humiliating me without a word, only a stupid smirk that frankly, didn't suit his face at all. (Actually, if I'm honest, that smirk kind of freaked me out a little.)

 

 

Well that kid (why do I keep referring to him like he's younger than me?) is in for it if he thinks he wants to play this game. Doesn't he understand that this is my game?

 

 

I don't exactly get it. Where did he get the nerve to fight back, anyway? He's always been so quiet and reserved and showing no emotion. Did I just finally push him too far?

 

 

Well, I guess I can't complain. He's reacting to me. He's showing anger, annoyance, and as much as that little trick he pulled earlier pisses me off, I have to admit I'm a little pumped up.

 

 

This game could be very fun.

 

 

So, because I can't think of much else to do at the moment to get back at him, I do the first thing that comes to mind. When I'm grabbing my bag out of my locker, I see Sandeul's messy brown hair from across the hall, where he's crouching down, wedging his white sneaker in the wooden door so it doesn't lock on him.

 

 

I admit, I've done this before. I once locked him in this very same locker room, and listened as he pounded on the door for a few minutes before calling that friend of his to let him out.

 

 

But as unexciting as the already-done prank is, I don't have any better ideas. The opportunity is right in front of me, so I take what I can get.

 

 

I pull out his shoe and toss it into the hall behind me, then wait for his reaction.

 

 

I don't know why I wait, exactly. I guess I just want to see what he does.

 

 

But this time there isn't any pounding on the door, nor a freshman rushing to the rescue.

 

 

After twenty minutes, all there's been is silence. I sit with my back against the door's opposing wall, huffing out a breath and tapping my fingers on the cold floor.

 

 

What the hell is he doing? Why doesn't he call someone?

 

 

I start clucking my tongue along with the ticking of the clock above my head, trying to pass the time.

 

 

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

 

 

Click, cluck. Click, cluck.

 

 

After some time, my tongue starts to feel numb. I gaze upward and count the little grey dots on the ceiling panels instead.

 

 

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8... wait, did I already count that one?

 

 

I look back down and sigh, ruffling my hair with my hand.

 

 

Doesn't he have his phone on him? What if he's really trapped in there?

 

 

Nah, he's probably trying to pull something back at me. Makes sense.

 

 

I decide to work on homework to make time go by faster. I pull out my history textbook and a notebook and pen to take notes. I have a test next week and I should probably start studying now...

 

 

HAHA, who am I kidding? I don't do work. Silly Sunwoo.

 

 

I throw everything back in my bag and let the silence reign over the atmosphere once again.

 

 

What if... he's crying again?

 

 

I finally give in with a groan. “Ugh, it,” I grumble, and stand up.

 

 

I step over to the locker room door, and place my hand on the handle.

 

 

I never did this, I never did this, I never did this, I repeat to myself sternly in my head, then squeeze my eyes shut as if I'm in pain.

 

 

I didn't do this.

 

 

I slowly twist my wrist.

 

 

The door unlocks with a loud “c” in the silent hall, and I turn on one foot and swiftly get the hell out of there.

 

 

I did not feel guilty.

 

 


 

 

When I get home later that day, Jinyoung is in an unusually good mood.

 

 

“Hey, Sunwoo,” he chirps happily from his spot on the living room couch, and I freeze.

 

 

Jinyoung has never chirped anything before.

 

 

“Uh, hey,” I mutter, stunned. He bounds over to me and pulls off my school jacket for me as I watch him with wide eyes.

 

 

“Go get showered,” he starts as he grabs my school bag and flings it into the next room, “and then we're going to go out for dinner. My treat,” he flashes me a huge smile.

 

 

“Um... alright,” I agree hesitantly. As strange as the old grandpa is acting, how can I turn down food?

 

 

I quickly shower and towel-dry my hair, then pull on a white t-shirt, a pair of loose jeans, and one of my favorite black beanies (I have a whole collection of them). When I finish, Jinyoung is already waiting outside with his stupid green station wagon.

 

 

In the year since I moved into his house, we've gone out to eat a total of one time – on the day I moved in, he treated me to lunch.

 

 

So as we pull into my favorite barbecue restaurant, I feel nothing but confused. What could he possibly want that he would do this much for me? Maybe he has bad news. Uh oh.

 

 

But no bad news ever comes. I'm quietly enjoying my pork and fried intestines, and Jinyoung is picking at a bowl of bebembap, rambling on about some nonsense that's going on in the drama he's currently watching. I'm listening enough to respond with a nod or a grunt at the right times, but everything he says goes in one ear and out the other as I chew the meat on my plate.

 

 

Oh, sweet delicious meat. I don't know what the hell is wrong with Jinyoung today, but if it means I can have free meat, I'll take it in a heartbeat.

 

 

It's when I'm popping the last piece of pig intestine in my mouth and savoring the greasy goodness with a hum, that my eyes widen and I crane my neck to see the booth behind Jinyoung.

 

 

Sandeul is donned in a red and black uniform, clearing all the dishes and waste from the unoccupied table and placing them into a large plastic bin he's carrying.

 

 

I smirk. Seems this kid is everywhere lately.

 

 

“Hey, Sanduckie,” I call out, and his head swivels around, scanning the restaurant, before his eyes meet mine. A moment later, he's glaring at me. Jinyoung is looking curiously between me and the smaller boy.

 

 

I nod my head in his direction, gesturing towards his outfit. “Since when have you worked here?” I ask.

 

 

“None of your business,” he retorts quietly, and gathers the rest of his dishes. He turns on his heel to walk away, but I'm not done with him. I dash out of my seat and grab his wrist.

 

 

He shakes me off of him. “Ew,” his face scrunches up in disgust, “your hand is covered in barbecue.”

 

 

I ignore him. “Since when have you worked here?” I repeat, my eyebrow raising itself as I wait for an answer.

 

 

He sighs and adjusts the container of dishes on his hip. “A few months now. I work here on Mondays for a little extra money. Why does it even matter?” he asks tiredly.

 

 

I shrug from where we stand in the middle of the restaurant floor. “Dunno. Just wondering. How was your day at school?” I ask suddenly, flashing him a taunting smirk.

 

 

He narrows his eyes at me. “Bastard. I didn't have my phone on me this time,” he snaps. “Thank goodness someone unlocked it after a while.”

 

 

I pale slightly at the remembrance, but cover it up not so slyly. “Oh, that's weird. I left right away so it wasn't me.” My words are rushed and I nod stupidly at the end. I feel like hitting myself.

 

 

Sandeul gives me a weird look, then says, “I need to get back to work. Bother someone else.”

 

 

I grin and stuff my hands into my pockets. “Okay, Sanduckie. See you tomorrow at school?” I ask, hopefully.

 

 

He rolls his eyes and turns to leave, muttering a quick, “Bye.”

 

 

I turn around as well, a slight bounce in my step. I make my way back to the small booth I'm sharing with Jinyoung. He sets down the drink he was just sipping from and gazes up at me as I take my seat.

 

 

“Who was that loser?” he asks curiously, and I give him a stupid grin.

 

 

I'm not really thinking about what I'm saying when I respond, “He's my Sanduckie.”

 

 


 

 

My day at school on Tuesday is spent following Sandeul around like a lost puppy.

 

 

 

A very annoying, naggy, rude puppy, that is.

 

 

Between classes, I'd stalk up to the poor guy and comment on his outfit, saying he had a poor sense of fashion (even though we all wore the same uniform) or his clothes were getting too tight. Each time he'd just ignore my entire presence and keep walking. A few times, though, I'd call him by my chosen nickname for him and he'd cringe, causing me to chuckle.

 

 

At his locker, he'd reach to pull out a book, but I'd slam the door closed again before he could do so. He simply sighs and puts in the code again, until I repeat the action twice, maybe three times, before he snaps and starts spewing curse words at me while I cover my mouth with my hand and laugh.

 

 

At the cafeteria, I get up from my table of friends to take my tray up, and on the way to the trashcan, I grab the back of Sandeul's metal chair and yank it down so he falls backwards on to the ground. He's got a stupid, shocked look on his face, and I dart away giggling like a mischievous eight-year-old.

 

 

By the end of the day, when I run out of ideas and decide to simply jump out from behind a wall and scare him, he's so frustrated with my antics that he literally goes after me with his fists. He starts beating at my back and shoulders, yelling profanities as I cower under him and try to get away. It's when he screaming, “I ing hate you, Cha Sunwoo!” that I free myself and run towards my house, a huge grin on my face despite my sore shoulder blades.

 

 

I look behind me and reveal he's out of sight, so I stop running at the corner of the block and hunch over, laughing between breaths.

 

 

I still don't exactly understand why, but picking on Sandeul gives me this rush of joy, almost like a high. I swear I haven't genuinely laughed this hard in months. Yeah, sure, I'm always smiling around my “friends”, but that's usually just to help my friendly appearance. But this kid, well really he's my hyung, is letting me have so much fun its starting to hurt my cheeks to smile.

 

 

God, I love this kid, I think as I pick myself up and start walking towards home again.

 

 

I mean, I love picking on him, anyway.

 

 


 

 

[A/N]: Ta-da! I'm back from Niagara Falls and Chapter 8 is here! :D So, I must warn you. This is going to be a long A/N.

 

 

First off, I'm sorry if this chapter isn't that great. D: For some reason, the first part was giving me a hard time. I tried to make it good for you guys, though. <3

 

 

Then, this weekend, as just mentioned, I went to Niagara Falls with my family. And omygoodness the FEELS. I forgot how many Asians there were at touristy places, and holy crap were there some cute boys there. O_O I was like spazzing everywhere we went cuz there were SO MANY. AND THEY WERE ALL SO CUTE AND ATTRACTIVE AND AGHAJIAGJTIPHIOAJETHIOPJSG.

 

 

*ahem* Anyway.

 

 

In other news, I hit 50 subscribers! :D YAY!

 

 

You guys are so amazing, you have no idea! ^^ To come home to my 50th subbie was so awesome and I did this little happy dance and spewed more feels all over the place SO, I must thank you, hastubashi, for being that amazing person. :D I never expected to hit 50 subs in only 7 chapters. I love all of you so much. <3 You have no idea. ^^

 

 

So, as promised, there will be another update at some point today. ^^

 

 

Until then, comment and subscribe and all that lovely stuff. :D I have lots of news for you (yes, more!) that I shall spam to you in chapter 9. ^^

 

 

Annyeong! <3