Chapter 6

My friend, my love

 

Sixteen.

I will definitely remember the year when I turned sixteen. It was a year marked by different events that changed my life completely, not necessarily in a good way.  I can say for sure that in that year I became a new persona...in a matter of months.  

There are a few  situations that occured that year that I’d like to share with you; the first one is about Yixing. 

 

--------------------------------- At School ---------------------------------

I’ve been looking for Yixing for the past 15 minutes and he’s nowhere to be found. I was running down the hall when I accidentally bumped into Chen.

“Sorry!...hey, have you seen Yixing? I need to talk to him”

“ummm yeah…I saw him at the gym…he’s with Mary”

Mary… that’s Yixing’s girlfriend. They have been going out for 3 months now. She came as a transfer student from Australia. The girl is pretty and intelligent, but her attitude (at least towards me) just ruins everything. She’s not too fond of me being so close to Yixing and I somehow understand her. I mean, would you like it if your boyfriend hold hands with another girl in public, or be at the phone with her for hours, or have sleepovers? I don’t think so. That’s why I’m trying to “behave”, but it’s really hard. 

Yixing hasn’t told me anything, but I’m sure she has complained about me and probably has convinced him to spend less time with me. I miss him. 

I walked to the gym and it was empty. I was about to leave when I saw to figures sitting at the bleachers. It was Yixing and Mary… and they were kissing.  

Great...

I still feel uncomfortable whenever I see them kissing; I get that same feeling of numbness when they kissed for the first time.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Flashback ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

We were at a party and some of the guys decided to play truth or dare.  It was my turn.

“Truth or dare?” Chen asked me.

“Dare!” I said confidently. 

“ok…I dare you to…..kiss Yixing on the lips for 10 seconds!” Everyone started to make noises and clapping. I felt bad cause Mary, Yixing’s new girlfriend was here. How can I kiss him in front of his girlfriend?! Chen…I’m going to kill you!

“I don’t think it’s fair” Mary said pouting and folding her arms.

“Mary…it’s just a game..chill” Yixing told her while caressing her cheeks. 

“Yeah Mary…we all agreed to play! You should have guessed a dare like this was going to come up at any time” one of the girls sitting with us said.

“I have a better idea…Lina, why don’t I do the dare for you, huh?”

Everyone looked at me. I didn’t know what to do; I knew that Yixing and Mary haven’t kissed yet so it was totally unfair for me to steal his first kiss, but Yixing didn’t seem to mind if I kiss him. I looked at Mary, and call it women intuition or six sense, but I could tell she was going to kill me if I didn’t’ accept her deal.  

“I-I agree with Mary…I think it’s not fair…Mary, you can kiss Yixing”

Everyone started booing…these kids surely enjoy the drama.

Mary smiled at me and turned to Yixing. He grabbed her chin and leaned closer to her until their lips met. I don’t know what happened, but it felt as if I was watching them kiss in slow motion. My heart stopped and I wanted to look away, but my mind wasn’t working at that moment.  I wanted the 10 seconds to end quickly. He deepened the kiss and I became completely numb. My finger turned cold and my mouth dry. Why can’t I look away?!

“ 8…9…10! Times up!” Xiumin finally announced and everyone started making noises. I just couldn’t move. I stared at Yixing and he looked back at me.  The corner of my lips turned upward into a smirk and he smiled at me. I wasn’t happy though.

“Thanks Lina, you are the best!” Mary said while grabbing my face and giving me a kiss on the cheeks…those lips that just kissed Yixing…

“indirect kissing?! LOL” Chen said while pointing at Mary and me.

“Chen, shut up!”  Luhan said noticing there was something wrong with me at the moment.

That night I walked home alone, just like in the last couple of days since Yixing started going out with Mary. I went home and crawled in my bed. I didn’t know what I was feeling, I wasn’t upset but I wasn’t happy either; just numb. Why did that kiss affected me so much?

I decided to call Yixing

“Yixing I-“

“Lina, why are you calling Yixing at this hour? It’s almost 1 am” It was Mary.

Are they like..sleeping together or something?

“Why are you with Yixing this late?” I didn’t want to sound rude, but I did.

“He’s my boyfriend and we can hang out whenever we want”

“well..he’s my bestfriend and I can call him whenever I want…can you pass him the phone please?”

I could hear them arguing on the other side of the line. Yixing was telling Mary to give him the phone.

“Sorry, but we are busy, Ciao!” She hung up.

I looked at the phone and a feeling of sadness overwhelmed me. I couldn’t even talk to him like we used to without Mary getting in the way and….they just kissed. I still didn’t know why this was bothering me so much, so I just went to sleep hoping the next day I’ll be back to normal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ End of Flashback ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

 

“Yixing! Are you busy?” I yelled so he could hear me.

They broke the kiss. “Yes, he is! ” Mary answered.

“No, I’m not” Yixing said right after her.

From the main door of the gym I could see Mary glaring at him. She got up and started leaving; she was probably going to throw a tantrum later because of this.  Yixing, you are so dead.

“Couldn’t you see we were having a moment?!”  She said angrily while walking towards me.

“Yeah, but we are at the school…you guys should have “your moments” somewhere else…plus, I need to talk to him”

She stood in front of me and looked me in the eyes.  Oh, she’s mad.

“I'll give you 10 minutes!”

“I need you for at least 4 hours…” I yelled over her shoulders at Yixing who was walking towards us.  If she could, she would have strangled me in that moment, but she just pushed me and walked out of the gym.

“Ouch! How can you stand her? She’s so rude”

“Do you know who pays for every time you make her mad?”

“You deserve it for abandoning your friends!”  I was about to turn around when Yixing grabbed my hand and pulled me towards him.

“I’m sorry Lina” I could see he really was. Why don’t you do something about it then? Why do you let Mary control you?!  

I moved his arms from around my waist so I could free myself and started walking away from him. 

“I miss you”  I finally said to him. He just gave me this sad look and patted my head.

“I know… I miss you too”

*

*

*

Yixing and I became more distant as time passed, and I was becoming bitter. I knew he was trying to get closer to me again, but Mary had a strong hold on him. She is those kinds of women that are really possessive, specially with guys. She didn’t even want Yixing hanging out with his guy-friends. Yeah, she also hated Xiumin, Chen, Luhan and Ling. We all hated her too.

Fortunately, July came, and it with came the end of their relationship.

One of our classmates was throwing a party at his house and we all decided to go, except for Yixing.

“Yixing, are you sure you don’t want to come?” Luhan was talking to him on the phone and had the speakers on so we all could hear him.

“I wish I could go, but Mary said she was going to come tonight. We are going to watch some movies and-”

“I hope you two have a wonderful date!” I snapped and walked away. I know I shouldn’t be like this, but it pisses me off that Yixing doesn’t have time for us anymore…and all because of Mary.

“Is she mad?” I could hear Yixing asking. Luhan looked at me and I told him to hang up because we were running late.

“I think she is…” Luhan finally answered.

Yixing sighed and then finally spoke “….Take care of her please”

“I DON’T NEED A BABYSITTER!!!!” I said loudly so he could hear me.

“Ok Yixing, I’m hanging up. Have fun with Mary” Luhan said a little bit angry. I know he misses his friend too.

*

*

*

We finally arrived at the party. The house was crowded and music was blasting while people where dancing and flirting. This party better be good! I need to forget about Yixing, at least for a few hours.

After greeting a couple of people from the school, I started started dancing with Xiumin.  After a while I got thirsty so I headed to the kitchen to get something to drink.  While walking through the main hall I saw a familiar girl leaning into a tall guy I haven’t seen before.  As I passed by them, they started kissing.  Curiosity got the best of me and I decided to stay there and see who was that girl. Finally, they broke the kiss and she turned around.

It was Mary.

I quickly hid behind one of the guys that were standing there and checked to see if she saw me. She didn’t, so I immediately texted Yixing.

 

From: Lina

YIXING! COME TO THE PARTY QUICKLY!!

 

From: Yixing

I can’t. I’m waiting for Mary. Did something happened?

 

From: Lina

YES! Your girlfriend is here at the party cheating on you! she's making out with another dude 

 

No answer...

 

From: Lina

...are you comming?!?! do you want me to punch her???

 

I tried calling him a few times but he didn't answer. I was so distracted trying to contact Yixing that I didn’t noticed that the guy I was using to hide myself moved and now I was right in front of Mary.

“L-Lina?!...what are you doing here?!”  She was shocked to see me there, more importanlty, that I saw her kissing another guy. She knew I caught her.

“I should be asking you the same question. Aren’t you supposed to be watching movies with Yixing?!?! YOUR BOYFRIEND” I said accusingly. “I can’t believe you are cheating on him with this…this random dude!!”

 “I-I’m not cheating on Yixing ok? I don’t know what you are talking about”  I just…can’t believe this girl

“Are you freaking kidding me?!?!  I just saw you two making out, you !”  and with that she lifted her hands to slap me. I was about to stop her, but someone grabbed her hand. It was Yixing.

“Yi-xing….wh-what are you doing here?!!” She wasn't expecting this.

“Lina texted me and told me everything” Mary looked at me and if looks could kill, I would have been buried by now. She looked back at Yixing and I could see her eyes getting watery.

“AND YOU BELIEVE HER?!?! CAN’T YOU SEE SHE HATES ME! SHE’S JUST JEALOUS XING! JEALOUS OF OUR RELATIONSHIP!”  For real? So she's going to play the innocent.

 She hugged him and started crying harder.

“Xing…I-I’m your girlfriend…she’s lying, please believe me!” She grabbed his face and started kissing him, but he was not responding.  He just looked at me. Tears were clouding his vision and I felt bad for him. He loved her, and that idiot just broke his heart.

“….believe in me…” I whispered.  Even when Mary was kissing him, he was looking at me. Does he beleive in me?

Slowly,  Yixing  grabbed her hands to free himself from her hold. He looked at the guy who Mary kissed; I knew he wanted to punch him,  but he just walked away from them.

Mary was a total wreck by now. She knew she lost him.

 “Lina…let’s go …I don’t want to be here anymore” Yixing grabbed my hand and started pulling me towards the main door.

*

*

*

We went to the park after the incident. Yixing sat down in one of the swings and I sat on the grass in front of him since the other two swings were broke.

“…why Lina?” He looked at his feet and started crying. I hate Mary!

“ Yixing….it’s not your fault” I kneeled in front of him while wipping his tears with my hand. I started crying as well.

“Look at me….Mary is an idiot! Every girl would want to have a boyfriend like you. You are sweet, caring, intelligent, talented and good looking.  I know it hurts, but she didn’t deserve you” I gave him a peck on the cheek and he smiled.  

“Lina…I’m so sorry…Mary took so much of my time and I barely spent time with you and the guys…I’m such a bad friend, please forgive me” He started crying again and I hugged him.

“there is nothing to forgive….remember I’ll always be here for you ok? Even if you temporarily ditch me for another girl” I said jokingly. 

“…. I-I don’t deserve your friendship Lina… I’m such an idiot!” He cried harder now…but not for Mary, but because he knew he had damaged our relationship while being with her.

“Yes you are…” I stood up and he looked at me for a moment “…but I still love you, cute idiot”

He grabbed me by the waste and made me sit on his laps. He hugged me and rested his head on my back...I just let him cry. 

“Thanks Lina...” 

I grabbed one of his hands and kissed it “You're welcome” 

*

*

*

That night I invited Yixing to sleep at my house. I didn’t want to leave him alone, especially in a moment when he needed support, so I told my mom very quickly what happened to him and she said it was ok. 

Yixing slept on the floor while I was in my bed.  We talked for hours about Mary, our friendship and how we won’t allow anyone to get between us anymore.  I was about to go to sleep when Yixing suddenly started talking.

“Lina…what if I can’t find a girlfriend?”

“Yixing…go to sleep”

“no..but seriously!...what if I get in a relationship and she breaks my heart?”

“Have you seen the amount of girls that are after you at school? You WILL find a girlfriend and I won’t allow her to break your heart, I promise”

“You said that last time....”

“Yeah I did…but I mean it now.  I’ll make a test”

“What kind of test?”

“well….if she hates me like Mary does, then she’s not good”

“what kind of test is that?!" he complained "Honeslty, I don’t think any of my future girlfriends will like you”

“Too bad for them…I’m really cool” he laughed at my stupid idea of the test. After a while, the room was silent again until…

“what if I can’t marry?”

Is he serious?

This boy won’t  let me sleep.  I leaned over the edge of my bed and looked at him.

“Let’s make a deal: if you are still single when you're 30…call me. I’ll marry you”

He looked at me and was silent for a moment. 

Is he actually considering it?

“Deal, I will call you…you’d be a good wife” I just chuckle and ruffle his hair.

“You’d be a good husband…now let your potential wife sleep ok?”

Before I could lie down and go to sleep, he sat up, grabbed my chin and kissed me right in the corner of my lips.

“Good night Lina”  He lied down and went to sleep.

I just stayed there, staring at him.  Why…is my heart beating so fast?

Yixing, what are you doing to me?

 

 

 

Author's Note: Finally! I'm sorry I didn't updated it but I was attending a debate and I barely had time to sleep. I hope you guys enjoy this chapter! 

I haven't proofread it yet, so excuse me if you saw any grammatical horror while reading it.