Chapter 1

My friend, my love

 

----------------------- 26 year ago ------------------------

Sitting in my bed while staring at nothing in particular, I started to dread leaving. We have a huge house with a wonderful view to the beach. I love going there every morning and walk without minding the rest of the world - just me, the sand, and the sea. It makes me feel at ease. Unfortunately, we have to move.

As I walk to my balcony and stare one last time at the sea I wonder if I’ll be able to adapt to China. Will I make friends? Are they going treat me differently? I guess i'll find out very soon.

“Lina, we are ready to go!”

My dad is calling me, it’s time to go. I close my eyes and sigh. God, let this be an awesome experience.

 

----------------------- in China  ------------------------

Well, China is definitely not what I expected. Changsha seems like a really good place to live; no wonder my dad wanted to start a business here.

I miss my house though. My dad bought this huge condominium apartment for us here. It’s nice, but nothing like home. There is no sea, no ocean breeze, no calmness.

What should I do now? I want to go out and check out the neighborhood, but my dad won’t let me. For some weird reason he hired a driver and a bodyguard. Why do I need them? Protection? From what? Are we some kind of mafia family or something?!!

I’m just going to go along with my dad wishes and don’t question his decisions.

Ah! I almost forgot: tomorrow I start school. I’m really nervous. I know Chinese very well and I know how I should behave and all that, but I don’t know what to expect. I just hope someone will get close to me. I want a friend.

 

----------------------- in School ------------------------

It’s lunch time and I’m officially the freak of this school. Everyone keeps staring at me. Is it because I’m tan? Is it my green eyes or my hair? I should ask mom is she can do something about that, maybe I should dye it black and buy some contact lenses. I should also tell her to buy me shoes without heels. I look like a giraffe next to my classmates. I wish I wouldn't look so different.

Oh well, at least no one is bullying me. I guess they are just curious. I’m curious too. I want to talk to them, but I can’t. What do I say?  What do I—

“Hi!!! You are the new one, right?” 

Who is this kid? Oh wait, I think he is in my of my classes, though I can’t remember his nam-

“I’m Yixing”

Oh, so it’s Yixing

“Hi! I’m Lina” ….awkward silence. 

“Lina…I like your name"

"Thanks!" ...awkward silence again.

"so…what do you think about China? Do you like it so far?"

How should I know, I’ve only being here for 4 days.

“Yes…it’s pretty nice…nothing like home, but it’s still nice”  It's actually true.

“you must be missing home a lot....."

Yes, I am. Why am I starting to feel melancholic all of the sudden?

"have you gotten familiar with the town? there are a lot of cool places to visit!"

Well, someone needs to show them to me, but I can’t walk around the streets alone. My dad would kill the bodyguard, the driver, and me if I go somewhere without his permission. Is Changsha dangerous?

“huh, really? maybe one of these days I’ll explore the neighborhood”  Gotta put that in my "To do list"

“You definitely should!"

At that moment we enter a crowded hall and I suddenly start to feel anxious. I don't like crowds and Yixing is making things worst. Everyone is looking at us. Correction: at him. By the way girls keep looking at him and the amount of "wassups" he's been getting I bet he's popular. I start walking faster,  leaving him behind, because the farther I get from him the less stares I get. 

The bell is ringing. It's time to go!

Despite the noise and the distance I made between us, I hear his voice

"what about we go after class today?”

I look back at him and nod. 

“See you  then” 

 

----------------------- After Class ------------------------

 

Why did he talk to me?! More importantly, WHY DID I AGREE TO GO WITH HIM? Ughhh I bet it’s a trap. What if I go out with him and he just leaves me in some creepy place all by myself. I should just tell him I can’t go because I have stuff to do. Yes, I’ll do that and then go straight home. Better hurry or Yixi-

 “Where are you are going?” 

Crap, it’s him.  

 “Didn’t we agree to meet after class?”

Ok, I’ll tell him I can’t go. Plus, my dad is going to get mad at me if I don’t go straight home.

Yes, we did and…..” he’s smiling. Oh! He has a dimple. I love dimples! they look adorable on people. It makes him look cute. Now he seems harmless. Maybe he just wants to be nice with me and show me the place.  But my dad…I really can’t go. At least not until I get permission.

…are you still here or did your soul went to explore Changsha all by itself?

“Sorry. I was just thinking that maybe nex–

“Time to go!”  This kid…I was going tell him I couldn’t go, but he just grabbed my hand and started running.

I let him drag me. I started running too.

I passed by my driver and the bodyguard. “BYE!!! I’LL BE BACK LATER!”

They tried to go after us, but we lost them. Somehow, I don’t feel bad for not going with them nor for all the yelling they’ll receive from my dad because of me. I’m such a selfish person. Oh well, I’ll get punished too.

We slowed down after a while. All that running didn’t allow me to appreciate what a beautiful day it was. We were passing near a park. Everything was green, the sun was high up in the sky painting the scenery with different shades of orange and yellow. I could hear the faint laughter of kids playing. A strong breeze started messing with my hair. I tried to fix it, but I notice Yixing was still holding my hand.

I stared at our hands and then at him. Even though I saw him 2 times today, it seems like I’m really looking at him for the first time.  Yixing was smiling while pointing at some places. That’s when I realized I wasn’t paying attention to what he was saying. He noticed my stare and looked back at me.  I hold his gaze. Why is this boy being kind and…touchy with me? With a girl he just met? He is weird.

“what’s wrong?” we stopped. He seems concerned.

I should be thankful someone is interested in showing me the city and yet I’m questioning his existence right now.

“nothing…just wondering”

“What?”

“why are you being nice to me…” that smile again. He’s actually cute.

“should I be mean then?”

“Nooooo! It’s just that….I don’t know. You just met me today and well you are being all nice to me. Plus, I am the new “weird” kid in school".

For some reason I became concerned for his safety. What if my other classmates find out he is hanging around with me and then stop talking to him?  Not that I’m the plague or anything, but the truth is I’m different (plus, I’m new!) and I know most of them may have issues with me being with the "popular" guy.

“well yeah, you are the weird newcomer… but I don’t mind. I like weird things.. and people”

He just called me weird. I'm the only allowed to say that. That's it! I will not defend him when he gets bullied for hanging out with me.

“so…shall we continue with the tour?” He said.

Throughout this conversation he hasn’t let go of my hand. His hand is warm. It make me feel at ease… just like the beach used to make me feel back home. I think I might enjoy his company and friendliness.

“let’s go!” I say as I squeezed his hand and started running. He let me drag him, not mentioning the fact that I don't know exactly where I am going.

As I look ahead and try not to bump into people that are walking in the opposite direction of us, I contemplate the implications of this new event. Is he a prospect of a friend? 

I hope so. I want to know more about Yixing. 

 

 

 

 

Yeah!! and there it is! Chapter 1 - the beginning of my nightmare hahaha. I hope you guys like it.

I appreciate any kind of comments, critics, etc. 

I'll be updating the next chapter soon